Help with wiring fog lights to lows & light bar to highs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with wiring fog lights to lows & light bar to highs

So currently, I've got my fogs activated with my parking lights. Since I have a bixenon for my headlights, my fogs being on with high beams means I've still only got 4 lights on with the highs.

I ordered MK's mini light bars for a little kick which I'm hoping to wire up as a bonus high beam.

Here's what I'm hoping to do:
    Low beams on = fog lights also on
    High beams on = fog lights cut off & MK's light bar activated.
    -I probably ought to wire in a switch as a master off for the light bars.

I realize this is probably a simple matter of wiring up a relay but I'm not sure exactly how to best do this... hence starting this thread.

I look forward to some guidance & direction from some more experienced folks on here.

Thank you in advance!

I think you could do it with a 5-pin. Just wire it so the fogs are on the normally closed circuit, then have the light bar on the normally open side so that when you turn the high beams on the relay activates cutting off the fog lights and giving power to the light bar.

30 - 12v+
    87A - Fog light positive
    87 - light bar positive
    85 - high beam positive
    86 - ground

As to the master off for the light bar I'm not too sure. Could you just wire in a switch in series with the light bar? Just thinking out loud, one of the more experienced guys could probably do better.

Comment

Originally posted by xcrider View Post
      I think you could do it with a 5-pin. Just wire it so the fogs are on the normally closed circuit, then have the light bar on the normally open side so that when you turn the high beams on the relay activates cutting off the fog lights and giving power to the light bar.

30 - 12v+
      87A - Fog light positive
      87 - light bar positive
      85 - high beam positive
      86 - ground

As to the master off for the light bar I'm not too sure. Could you just wire in a switch in series with the light bar? Just thinking out loud, one of the more experienced guys could probably do better.
      It's best practice to use relays to control the actual device and switches to control the relays. So as xcrider said, that is the best way to get the fogs to turn off when you engage the high beams. Then you could put a second relay on the light bar positive output from the first relay using the normally open 30/87 contact pair again. This time though, also connect the 30 pin to pin 85 as well then run a wire from pin 86 in to your cabin to a switch then the other side of the switch to ground.

This way the first relay will cut your fogs off when you engage your high beams and feed power to the second relay. Then if you have your MK Master Switch on, the MK light bar will come in with your high beams.

Comment

I would not have the fogs on at all times with the low beams.... it will really hinder your night vision if you're travelling anything over 25mph or so.

I'd definitely have both fogs and light bars on their own separate switches and you can use them as necessary...
        Just IMHO

Comment

Thank you guys SO MUCH! I'm still waiting for the light bars & wanted to know for sure how to do what I wanted before attempting anything & your advice helped big time.

I would like to wire up switches for both the fogs and a master for the light bars. Now its just a matter of guiding wires through the firewall and following your recommendations for relay wiring.

Thanks again!

Comment

I am planning on similar.
            I will have my fogs (H1 mini's modified with very severe forground limiter) set to come on with the stock controls, but also be able to be used as highbeams, plus have manual control of the BFL-30's as well as having them come on automatically with the high beams.

the setup by xcrider is kind of what I was planning on.

Comment

Working...
            X