Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Resolved] DRL Switchback Wiring Help

Howdy!

I bit the bullet and placed an order for some XChange switchback drivers. Basically, I want to mute the DRL on one side, whichever has an active turn signal. My wiring is stupid simple right now, just a driver and two LED's wired in series (excuse the poor doodle):

I want to preferably preserve the functionality with only ONE driver as they are kind of pricey. I sketched up a wiring "doodle" as best I could to illustrate what I'm trying to accomplish. So basically, the XChange will be plugging in directly to my DRL and turn signals and be powered by constant DRL, activated by turn signal, and using a common ground. Here's the XChange for reference:

I'm assuming I can still wire my DRL LED's in series through the XChange driver. However, the biggest drawback with having them in series, is as soon as one of them turns off, the other one will follow. So I was thinking if it would be possible to add some "bridges" per say, so that power be re-routed around the XChange while the turn signals are activated. Also, I'm not entirely sure where the turn signal grounds would go, I just kind of threw them in there hoping they would make sense.

Please take a look at my doodles and let me know if I'm in the right track or terribly off.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ileopard; May 8th, 2015, 07:35 PM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

So it would seem I cannot. Received the switchback drivers today and tested it out. The problem I didn't see before was that that 'bridge' will just "short" the circuit because electrons will flow in the path of least resistance. Any other way, both DRL LED's will turn off, but I only want the respective signaling side to go off.

Have I missed anything to try? At this point I'm assuming I need a second driver.

Then again, I could wire them in parallel but since I'm using a 1.4A driver, both LED's wired in parallel, wouldn't they each receive 600mA?

Although I'm sort of confused now. I did some test with some Nichia Superflux LED's (3.5V max forward voltage and max 60mA forward current) using a 9V battery drained to 7.1V. In parallel, 2 LED array draws 180mA while in series it only draws 35mA.

It was my understanding that in series, the LED's have the same current but voltage is shared. In parallel the true is opposite, where all LED's should have been pulling full source voltage and shared the current. Given this, I would have expected the LED's wired in series to be brighter since current is not shared.

I must have something mixed up.
    Last edited by ileopard; May 12th, 2015, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Sorry I can't help with the wiring, but are you talking about having the setup like some Mercedes I've seen where the DRL shuts off and acts as a turn signal, then goes back to DRL once the turn is complete? That would be cool!

I'm at a 1st grade level when it comes to wiring lol
      *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by HK45 View Post
        Sorry I can't help with the wiring, but are you talking about having the setup like some Mercedes I've seen where the DRL shuts off and acts as a turn signal, then goes back to DRL once the turn is complete? I'm at a 1st grade level when it comes to wiring lol
        Yep, exactly like that lol. I revised my second post, the last statement was contradictory to what I meant.

So I have ruled out the wiring "doodle" it doesnt work because both DRL LED's are grounded when the blinker is activated. That leaves me with a) Buying a second 1.4A constant current driver (I'd rather not, $20) b) wiring the two DRL LED's in parallel instead of in series as they currently are. However, I want to retain the current brightness...and in theory wiring them in parallel should drop the brightness significantly because the 1.4A will be shared amongst both LED's, essentially supplying each LED with 700mA. That's in theory though, my test show the LED arrays draw more current in parallel and are brighter than wired in series.

Now I'm wondering if the constant current driver will supply both LED's with 1.4A if the VIN is greater than VOUT which it will.

Comment

Just for some closure to this thread:

I ended up ordering another constant current driver since there was no way to make it work with only a single one with LED's wired in series.

So in conclusion. Two 1.4A BuckBlocks wired in parallel. Each feeding a single XM-L2 T6 emitter. ExChange Switchback drivers were installed inline with the power source and it's outputs to the turn signal and the DRL.

Build thread and video:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...l=1#post827690

Comment

Working...
          X