1157 Switchback DRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1157 Switchback DRL

So my Odyssey has 1157 front turn signals/parking lights and I recently put some white/amber switchbacks from vled's in them. I was wondering if I could just splice in a 12v+ to the white LED power and have them run as a DRL? Would it damage anything when I turn on my parking lights/low beams?

So in my badass diagram black is ground, red is turn signal, green is power for white LED, and purple is my 12v ignition source.

Untitled.png

I'm assuming the white LED's are on when the low beams come on and switchback with the ambers?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

Originally posted by ileopard View Post
      I'm assuming the white LED's are on when the low beams come on and switchback with the ambers?
      Yes sir. White LEDs on with the parking lights and low beams and the amber comes on when I signal. I just have no idea if having two 12v+ wires connected will cause damage to the LED or anything else.

Comment

1157 Switchback DRL

While I can't say for sure, I would look at the specs. Since they're VLEDs, they must have come with some sort of driver meaning they are current regulated. If that's the case, drivers usually have an input voltage range something like 10-32V (I'm just throwing numbers out there).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

Originally posted by ileopard View Post
          While I can't say for sure, I would look at the specs. Since they're VLEDs, they must have come with some sort of driver meaning they are current regulated. If that's the case, drivers usually have an input voltage range something like 10-32V (I'm just throwing numbers out there).
          Gotcha. I tossed the packaging already but online it says "Current Control: Driving IC Control" and "Operating Voltage: 14.5V"

http://www.vleds.com/5k-type-2-dual-...pair-2680.html

thats the product page. In any case I emailed them just now so I'll find out soon. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Well, the whites are used as park lamps so they are probably too dim for DRL. That being said just isolate the park and 'DRL' wire with diodes to prevent backfeeding. A 1n4007 is probably good enough.

Comment

Backfeeding, that's the term I was looking for to describe what I thought might happen. I'll try out the diodes and do some more reading up on that. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X