Heat Issue LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Issue LED

Hi, I am having an issue with my DRL leds for my car. I wired 5 DRL leds in parallel which means I grouped all 5 positive wires together in 1 connector and the same for the other 5 negative wires. Then I connected them to my drl relay harness sold on eBay. They were really bright but the problem is that all 5 leds were super hot. I don't know how to fix that issue. I did some researches and people said I need to buy resistors. The only information I know about the led is Voltage: 9W/12V. Please help me if you know a solution or walk me through it. Thanks.

Is that the rated wattage? What's the actual amperage draw for each led? Resistors won't do you any good, you need a current limiting driver.

Pretty much, any led over 3W you will need a heatsink for. Maybe even 1W. I run 5W LEDs for the DRL's on my siggy and the heatsinking is pretty large compared to the LED itself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

can you post links or pictures to what you have?
      The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by ileopard View Post
        Is that the rated wattage? What's the actual amperage draw for each led? Resistors won't do you any good, you need a current limiting driver.

Pretty much, any led over 3W you will need a heatsink for. Maybe even 1W. I run 5W LEDs for the DRL's on my siggy and the heatsinking is pretty large compared to the LED itself.
        i would say anything above 1w needs a heat sink of some kind.
        Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

This is the leds I bought on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201228328672...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I really don't know if I need resistor or current regulator. Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by kevinvu View Post
            This is the leds I bought on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201228328672...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I really don't know if I need resistor or current regulator. Any tips?
            Those are meant to be reverse LED's. Because reverse lights are only on for a few seconds, they will still get hot but likely not suffer damage in between rest periods.

These are definitely not meant to be used as DRL's. If you still want to use them, you are going to have to dismantle them and add a proper heatsink. If they actually run at 9W, they will fry within minutes without one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

The weird thing is that when I connected them to my 12 V supply battery instead of car battery, all 5 leds were very light warm in term of heat and also they produced the same light output compare to car battery. I really don't know what is going on right now.

Comment

Working...
              X