Help with a 2013 Jetta TDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a 2013 Jetta TDI

Not a DIY retrofit, but a retrofit none the less. The car is a 2013 VW Jetta TDI equipped from the factory with halogen headlights.

So I bought a set of OEM Euro spec Jetta GLI/Hybrid Bi-Xenon headlights for my 2013 Jetta TDI over the winter. Well the weather is finally getting warmer here in Ohio so I decided to install them the other day.

Almost everything is functioning as it should be...except for the low beams.

When I start the car, the car immediately kicks the high beams on and I can't shut them off. I'm assuming it's because the wire that used to control a halogen high beam bulb is now connected to the shutter which doesn't provide the proper amount of resistance. So if I'm correct in saying that, what kind of resistor ( wattage / ohm ) should I put in to trick the car into thinking there is a bulb in the housing and not a shutter. Also if I were to use a resistor what (-) wire would I connect it to? There are 2 (-) wires in the harness.

And I know the shutters are working because if I have the ignition power on but the car isn't running with the headlights off I can control the shutter perfectly fine. It's only like this when the car is running.

As a temporary fix I just disconnected the high beams all together and now the low beams work fine, but now the fog lights won't work because the car thinks the high beams are on all the time ( even though they aren't ) I can't win...haha

Anyways if anyone has any ideas that would be awesome. A wiring diagram would be amazing too, maybe I'm just overlooking something stupid.

Thanks in advance!

Here are the headlights in case anyone wants to know what I'm working with:

FB842C8F-AAB0-496E-AA24-852390AE022F_zps7cqlmc8w.jpg

Do you have halogen highs as well? Are you using a high beam splitter? You might have the plugs reversed.

I could be totally wrong mainly because VW wiring is a freakin nightmare!
    Last edited by HK45; April 9th, 2015, 06:02 AM.
    *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

You would likely need VAGCOM to reprogram the lighting system part of the brain to cope with the HID headlights. I don't know anything more about it than that, but there are people over here in Norway who have done the same thing, and after a quick reprogramming everything just worked.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

Originally posted by HK45 View Post
        Do you have halogen highs as well? Are you using a high beam splitter? You might have the plugs reversed.

I could be totally wrong mainly because VW wiring is a freakin nightmare!
        The lights do have halogen highs as well. I don't really want to use them though. I did hook up wires to both high beam wires though and it didn't make a difference. But also the halogen highs didn't turn on so I'm not sure what's going on there. I guess that could really have something to do with it.

If I don't want to run the halogen highs what kind of resistor should I use to trick the car into thinking there is a bulb there?

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
        You would likely need VAGCOM to reprogram the lighting system part of the brain to cope with the HID headlights. I don't know anything more about it than that, but there are people over here in Norway who have done the same thing, and after a quick reprogramming everything just worked.
        Unfortunately the VAGCOM isn't the answer for me as my car has a low line CECM so the option isn't available. I wish it was. In the states I would either need a GLI or Hybrid to be able to do that.

tapatalked

Comment

Are your drl the high beam on reduced wattage?

If so disable drl in vagCom and you'll be fine

Comment

Originally posted by nine44 View Post
            Are your drl the high beam on reduced wattage?

If so disable drl in vagCom and you'll be fine
            The DRLs are the LEDs that go around the projector.

Comment

Working...
            X