How do I set up a light work station? Not really sure what to call it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I set up a light work station? Not really sure what to call it

So I got a spare set of headlights that I want to remove the reflectors and start a retrofit project. Ideally, i'd like to be able to test the light and the light output without having it hooked up to the car's battery. What are my alternatives? Since this is a spare headlight, I planned on taking my time with it, but I just needed a way to power the bulbs to test alignment, etc.

Many people will use a computer power supply. Seems there was a thread on how to do it a while back.

Basically you jump the green wire to any black wire on the motherboard plug and the PSU will power up (on a modern ATX power supply). Using the plug that powers a GPU (will have more amps on it) and connect the yellow wire on it to the + wire to the ballast, then a black wore from the same plug to the - for the ballast. Jump the green/black wire and it will power on, powering your light.

This is a temporary way, but you can modify it so it is permanent if you wanted to.
    Find a good 500w PSU (many can be found on sale for ~$30 after rebates) and modify it to have a permanent test bench.
    Last edited by Blupupher; April 2nd, 2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blupupher View Post
      Many people will use a computer power supply. Seems there was a thread on how to do it a while back.

Basically you jump the green wire to any black wire and the PSU will power up. Using the plug that powers a GPU (will have more amps on it) and connect the yellow wire on it to the + wire to the ballast, then a black wore from the same plug to the - for the ballast. Jump the green/black wire and it will power on, powering your light.

This is a temporary way, but you can modify it so it is permanent if you wanted to.
      Find a good 500w PSU (many can be found on sale for ~$30 after rebates) and modify it to have a permanent test bench.
      Hot damn, this works out to my benefit since I have a few different computer power supplies laying around. Now I just need to find that old tutorial.

Comment

found it, for reference.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...t=Power+supply

Comment

Cool, just make sure whatever line you use has at least 12 amps to ensure ballasts will work (thats why I said use the GPU line, tends to have lots of amps). Some older PSU's may not have enough amps on the regular 12v used for the HDD/optical drives, so just be aware.

Comment

Working...
          X