No announcement yet.

Harness Issue, 3rd time now! HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DDM stuff is purely cheap and shitty. That's it. There is no if ands or buts. Why don't we start from the beginning with your HID version stuff and go from there. Well I believe they are d3s? I would buy QUALITY d3s bulbs. And quality I mean OEM and by OEM I mean not from ebay, eBay is filled with a ton of fake bulbs. It's hard to believe actually I know. So from there you need d3s ballasts possibly? If you don't have any check with TRS maybe? I don't think d3s ballasts are faked so I would trust ebay. Some ballasts like d2s denso are faked on amazon. There's threads on here about that. Ok from there with the assembly, does the ballasts have a connector on it externally? Or does a massive harness get plugged into the headlight assembly which internally is wired to the low beams and signals and what have ya? If its external I would see if I can get the connector for the ballast, figure the pin out and then wire it to a quality TRS harness. Fords I believe have issues where they need capacitors and stuff. If it needs a massive harness it may get funky...
    AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

What ballasts/harness are you using? If you have standalone harnesses they won't work with 55W ballasts. They are only rated for 35W else these issues will happen. Otherwise get a harness that hooks up to the battery and can handle both 55 and 35 watts.

Comment

OK, so here goes on a solution to this issue:

1. The OE Xenon headlights for the F150 use an Osram D3S ballast and bulb combo, parts are good and reliable for the most part, we also have many D3S bulb upgrade options available. I was not aware that DDM sold a D3S kit.

What parts did you order specifically?

2. We offer a plug and play conversion harness for installing these headlights into a standard F150. Again I am not aware that there was another solution for doing this install that used the factory 4 pin connector.

The solenoid on these projectors also has a bad habit of throwing large amounts of feedback into aftermarket relays, which can destroy the harness function if not properly protected. Generally speaking this will make it so that the high beam function no longer works, and would not explain your lack of low beam. However I have no clue how this was wired.

If you are able to take some pictures of how you did the installation and the parts that you used it would be much easier to figure out what might be causing the issue. The more information that you are able to provide the better!

Comment

Originally posted by teamzambo View Post
          I have a 12 F150, no drl's and a pnp hid kit.

I have this issue thats been goin on for a while now. My low beams stop working after a few months. The only lights that work are the highbeams. Now when turning off my highs, the low beams come on for a brief moment then shut off.

Any ideas?

First time it happened i replaced just the harness (it lasted about a year before the issue started)
          Second time i replaced everything, harness and new hid kit. 3 months later the lows stop working again.

I have an 09 F150 and I had the same problem with my H1 retrofit. Everything was fine for months, then my lows went. I could still use my highs though... Now everything is out. I'm hoping replacing my relay box will fix everything.. I've found three others that have had the same issue with F150s now.

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
            You've had three issues with DDM kits so far, so it sounds like either it's DDM or it's your car. DDM is cheap, but you get what you pay for. TRS stuff is pricier but it's also better quality.

So you call him out for assuming it's in a regular housing. Is it? :P Also, be a bit nicer. He wasn't particularly nasty, just stated fact based off the info you gave. You were straight up unpleasant.
            I'm having the same exact issue with my H1 retrofit TRS kit, so it is not limited to DDM kits. I have also found several other users online with very similar experiences... all on 09+ F150's. I'm starting to wonder if a larger issue is behind all of this.

Comment

can one of you test your relay's with a dmm? i'm thinking that something might be damaging either the relay coil, or damaging the relay contacts-- ohming out the coil and the contacts should be able to verify this..
              The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by wantsa58 View Post
                I'm having the same exact issue with my H1 retrofit TRS kit, so it is not limited to DDM kits. I have also found several other users online with very similar experiences... all on 09+ F150's. I'm starting to wonder if a larger issue is behind all of this.
                Not sure when you purchased your harness but getting an updated and newer relay will more than likely correct this issue for good. Hit us up support@theretrofitsource.com or 404-220-7940 and we will get you all set up.

Comment

Originally posted by TRSNate View Post
                  Not sure when you purchased your harness but getting an updated and newer relay will more than likely correct this issue for good. Hit us up support@theretrofitsource.com or 404-220-7940 and we will get you all set up.
                  I have a new harness on the way. After testing I found that the input end of my harness was to blame. I can bend / pull on the wires at the input and my headlights will turn on. I have no idea how this caused the "high beams only" symptom for a few days before completely failing though. I had never even unplugged my input either.. so I'm not sure how it was damaged.

Comment

Working...
                  X