Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Circuit for Controlling Low/High and Pass functions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Circuit for Controlling Low/High and Pass functions!

Hi, I need help with a little project I am trying to accomplish as part of my retrofit.

As we know switching on/off you're HID's rapidly by flashing (using the pass function) will kill your bulbs and ballasts, unfortunately where I live it's required to save yourself from all the lunatics on the roads.

So I got a pair of 5 watt Led cob bulbs to install in my reflectors next to the Mini H1's.

The function I require is simple,
    1) When the HID low beam is off the LED will function for the pass switch.
    2) When the HID low beam is on, the pass function will revert to the HID.

Now I have 2 options, the first and easiest is to simply wire the pass switch directly to the LED's, I only want to do this as a last resort as the pass/flash function will be permanently on the LED's

The other option, though I can't get my head around it is to use mosfets, something like the solution below for switchbacks.

Obviously a single mosfet will not work as far as I can see as this would only disable the pass function when the HID's are on.

Is there any other way to work this without installing manual switches?
    Attached Files

your attached image doesn't work for me.
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Not sure why the image is not working for you, here's a link to the thread where the image is from, http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ed-bulbs/page2

I had hoped to use mosfets similar to this, I guess I would need two, but can't get my head around it!

Comment

it's working now-- there was an issue with the forum yesterday..
        The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

It seems that there is no easy solution for this, I guess I will go for a switch, now do I need to fit a relay on the hid side of the switch, bearing in mind it's just a pass through or should I just wire it to the solenoids?

Comment

Originally posted by stefanm View Post
            It seems that there is no easy solution for this, I guess I will go for a switch, now do I need to fit a relay on the hid side of the switch, bearing in mind it's just a pass through or should I just wire it to the solenoids?
            Pretty Easy with SPDT relay.

85 - COIL - GROUND
            86 - COIL - HIGH BEAM POSITIVE(Coil Trigger)
            30 - COM - HIGH BEAM POSITIVE from Harness
            87a - NC - To COB LED BULB POSITIVE
            87 - NO - To HID Bi-XENON SOLENOID POSITIVE(or whatever your high beam is)

Comment

Thanks Sall,

85 - COIL - GROUND
              86 - COIL - HIGH BEAM POSITIVE(Coil Trigger), (Should be low beam positive?)
              30 - COM - HIGH BEAM POSITIVE from Harness (direct from the pass switch?)

So without current to 86 , point 30 will engage 87A , when current is supplied to 86, point 30 will engage 87, is my understanding correct?
              Ok I found this picture, which explains things.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Sall,

85 - COIL - GROUND
                86 - COIL - HIGH BEAM POSITIVE(Coil Trigger), (Should be low beam positive?)
                30 - COM - HIGH BEAM POSITIVE from Harness (direct from the pass switch?)

So without current to 86 , point 30 will engage 87A , when current is supplied to 86, point 30 will engage 87, is my understanding correct?
                Ok I found this picture, which explains things.

Yes, sorry I meant low beam positive for the trigger! Anywhere you want to tap the high is fine but it would be easier at the bulb connector itself with mating connector.

Comment

Ok cool, it's for my bike, so I will need to tap from the switch gear, for the pass function before it's joined to the high beam, I can use the same system to turn off my drl's when the headlights are on.
                  Thanks again!

Comment

No problem. If you want to use the low beam to turn off DRLs as well you may opt for a DPDT relay to keep things a bit neater and save space.

Comment

Ok I can't find a DPDT relay, only the SPDT so I picked up 2 and the harness adapters.

Comment

I went crazy this afternoon trying to get these relays to do their thing, so after an hour googling, it turns out the 5 pin bosch relays I had bought were sent, after the coil was triggered both outputs had current, I guess I need the relay with 87 & 87a, mine just have 87 & 87, correct me if I am wrong?

Comment

Only 87's? DPST?

Comment

Originally posted by 24valvediesel View Post
                            Only 87's? DPST?
                            Not it's spst, I managed with difficulty to get the proper spdt relay today, so should be able to finish my retrofit tomorrow......

Comment

Not it's spst, I managed with difficulty to get the proper spdt relay today, so should be able to finish my retrofit tomorrow......
                              That's an odd little guy, I actually haven't seen any like that unless I was ordering online or for industrial purposes, not in automotive relays.

Comment

Working...
                              X