2nd gen dodge 1500 bi exon wiring problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gen dodge 1500 bi exon wiring problem

I bought the opt 7 6000k bi exon kit 9004 with relay. It is a 1999 dodge ram 1500. I hooked it up and I only get the driver side bulb to work on low beam when I switch it to high I get nothing. I have the relay on the passenger side. The positive going to the battery and the ground to the frame. I have the short wire from the relay going to the ballast on passenger side and a long wire from the relay going to the ballast on the driver side. I have a wire from the relay hooked up to the factory harness on passenger side. From the passenger bulb I have the two that hook up to the ballast and a small connector that hooks up to the factory harness for high beam. On the driver side bulb I have the two going to the ballast and the small one going to the factory harness. The factory harness on the driver side is left unhook. There are resistors hooked up on the harness that plugs into factory harness. If anyone could help it would be very much appreciative. Iv been stumped cant figure it out im new to hid I have them on my chevy and had no problems.

Your issue is probably with how the pins are arranged in the connector on the harness that plugs into the factory wiring. For some stupid reason 9004 and 9007 bulbs use the same connector, but have the pins wired differently. Sometimes the harnesses need the pins switched to work properly.

This is what the wires look like to work with the 9007 wiring in my Durango.

20130831_171109.jpg

Here's the 9007 vs 9004 wiring diagram.

You should be able to use a small screwdriver to release the pins from the connector and then swap them around. It might not be a bad idea to get out a volt meter and test which wires are which too.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
    FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

^
      And just to add more complication, the diagram of the 9007 & 9004 bulbs above have shared ground and separate positive for low and high beams. This is called switched positive. In some vehicles, the system is a switched ground, which shares a single positive, and separate ground for low and high beams.

So, with a 3-pin connector like the 9007 &/ 9004, out of the 6 possible pin combinations, there are 4 valid pin setup.

I tried all 6 combinations and checked the voltage as I switch my oem light switch from off, park, low, high, and flash-to-pass. See post #6 here:
      http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...p-example-pics
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Yeah, my Durango is switched ground so it wouldn't surprise me if a Ram the same year is too.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
        FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

Thanks for the info im going to try switching the pins ill give u a update if it works or not .

Comment

It ended up being the diode needed flipped and the harness they sent me. A wire from the relay when they crimped it was not getting a connection so thats why only one side worked. I emailed them and told them that the harness was bad and they sent me a new one no charge.

Comment

Working...
            X