M-led 2.0 projectors always on high beam - 2003 4Runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-led 2.0 projectors always on high beam - 2003 4Runner

Installing the Morimoto M-led 2.0 projectors in my 2003 4Runner. Plugged the high and low beams up as labeled, but when I turn the lights on (low beam) they automatically shift to the high beams. If I disconnect the high beam connector, it will stay on low beam.
    Can't find any info online about this other than the truck may use ground switching rather than 12v+ switching?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hey there fellow 4th gen 4runner friend. Apparently we do have ground switching. I found this on 4runner.org, Use the 2nd photocopy diagram from AOB's hilux installation. You will need a diode. Thought it would help you out. I will be doing this myself in the near future. https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...e-brights.html
    Last edited by 4RunnerMan; February 22nd, 2021, 01:48 AM.

Comment

So do the MLEDs go back to low beam when you select high beam on the stalk?
      2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
      Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
      CAD designed adapter plate, manual leveling motors

How to use Imgur to embed photos

Comment

Originally posted by 4RunnerMan View Post
        Hey there fellow 4th gen 4runner friend. Apparently we do have ground switching. I found this on 4runner.org, Use the 2nd photocopy diagram from AOB's hilux installation. You will need a diode. Thought it would help you out. I will be doing this myself in the near future. https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...e-brights.html

Thanks! I had a look at the diagram, but not sure I understand where to put the diode? There is no relay with the projector wiring, it just connects to the factory high and low beam plugs.. Will I have to install the diode somewhere along the factory wiring?

Comment

Originally posted by NoodleFace View Post
          So do the MLEDs go back to low beam when you select high beam on the stalk?
          No change when switching between high and low on the stalk. They flip right to high beams as soon as the headlights are turned on.

Comment

I think the diode is for the lit switch. Not sure though. But you don't have that; you're using the factory stalk or dial.

Are you using the morimoto harness?
            2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

It seems to me like the toyota has plus and minus switched. it uses one plus where normally the ground is and two grounds that are connected to the switches. on most other cars it is the other way around. there are harnesses that can fix that.
              Subaru Outback retrofit:
              http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
              License plate lights with dual brightness:
              https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

I think the diode is for the lit switch. Not sure though. But you don't have that; you're using the factory stalk or dial.

Are you using the morimoto harness?
                Yes, the Mled2 box that came with the projectors. It just has high and low beam plugs (which I connected to the vehicle high and low plugs), and then the single connector that goes to the projector.

Comment

Yeah crossgolf, it appears that these vehicles are ground switching rather than positive switching like most others.

Any idea where I can find a solution?

Comment

use simple switch module, i made it myself.
                    Not usual LED retrofits:
                    Swift with DRL,
                    Nissan Note with corner light,
                    Mazda CX-7,
                    Mercedes W211 E-Class

Comment

Originally posted by DaY View Post
                      use simple switch module, i made it myself.
                      So this would make only the high beam positive switched and keep the low beam ground switched, correct?
                      2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Originally posted by DKali View Post

Thanks! I had a look at the diagram, but not sure I understand where to put the diode? There is no relay with the projector wiring, it just connects to the factory high and low beam plugs.. Will I have to install the diode somewhere along the factory wiring?
                        Hey there- Just as a precaution, I always make up a harness of some sort as to not cut into any of the factory harness. This way you can always return to stock if you ever sell, and not worry about screwing up one of the most important and expensive to replace items in the truck or introducing higher resistance or corrosion.
                        Just get a "male socket pigtail" (4th and 5th gens use 9005 for highs) and solder that to a 9005 plug extension pigtail. Then you can cut and splice all you want in that little harness even use it to trigger relays for aux lights etc. Cost avg is $7 a pair on ebay.

Comment

Hey there- Just as a precaution, I always make up a harness of some sort as to not cut into any of the factory harness. This way you can always return to stock if you ever sell, and not worry about screwing up one of the most important and expensive to replace items in the truck or introducing higher resistance or corrosion.
                          Just get a "male socket pigtail" (4th and 5th gens use 9005 for highs) and solder that to a 9005 plug extension pigtail. Then you can cut and splice all you want in that little harness even use it to trigger relays for aux lights etc. Cost avg is $7 a pair on ebay.
                          This is my preference as well. I always try and avoid cutting any of the factory harness.

I was hoping to find a pre-made solution ready to go, but building what's posted above into a short harness wouldn't be to bad. Needs to be tidy and watertight though.

Comment

So this would make only the high beam positive switched and keep the low beam ground switched, correct?
                            no, in my version everything is controlled by ground
                            Not usual LED retrofits:
                            Swift with DRL,
                            Nissan Note with corner light,
                            Mazda CX-7,
                            Mercedes W211 E-Class

Comment

Can I start with something like this and change out the h4 plugs to the correct connectors needed? https://esskcustoms.com/collections/...olarity-module

Can't figure out why nothing like this exists with the 9005 plugs already on

Comment

Working...
                              X