2014 ilx halogen to xenon questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 ilx halogen to xenon questions

hey guys, I have a 2014 acura ilx base model with halogen headlights... is the xenon headlights plug and play or do I have to re wire some stuff?
    Last edited by Pashka94; May 23rd, 2020, 09:07 AM.

Halogen and HID (xenon) systems run at different voltage and current draw, and for HID, the startup results in a very large voltage spike (halogen filament runs almost steadily in the 12-13.4V range, HID ballast winds the voltage to tens of thousands of volts in the early startup).

It is generally a good idea to buy a so-called "wiring harness relay" that allows direct power access from the battery, using the OE wiring as only the "signal". This also works out the logic on when to power the solenoid while keeping the ballast (of the HID, that lights up the HID bulb) on in high beam or flash-to-pass mode.

There are ways to ignore that and connect directly, especially in kits marketed to be PnP (plug and play).

I wouldn't go that route imho.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Ok, so if I have a 9005 bulb would I need a 9005 harness? Like this one http://headlightrevolution.com/morim...-harness-9005/

Comment

Originally posted by Pashka94 View Post
        Ok, so if I have a 9005 bulb would I need a 9005 harness? Like this one http://headlightrevolution.com/morim...-harness-9005/
        If the low beams are 9005, then I assume the high beams are also halogen, and they use separate pair of bulbs with their own reflector.

In that case, using a harness like that would allow a HID low beam only projector to be powered, yes. This is assuming the OE high beams are still retained.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Working...
        X