Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector solenoid wires issue !!

Hello all ,

I am retrofitting an aftermarket projectors onto the halogen reflector and everything went well . Now here is an issue I tried to tap this solenoid wires onto the highbeam wires but this Highbeam and the DRL sharing the same bulb ( 9005) so if I went ahead and tap it , my solenoid will be flickering all time when the DRL is On ? Which we don’t want it so how do you guys normally do in this situation?

ps, disable drl is not an option .

You can use the positive from the high beam to control a relay (such as hella relay), then use the relay to control the solenoid. The relay should fix the flickering issue because it draws power directly from the battery.
    The pinout for the relay:
    #30 - connect to positive terminal of battery
    #85 - Connect to ground/negative terminal of battery
    #86 - switch: connect to the positive that you tap from the high beam to control when the relay should be on/off
    #87 - load: connect to one of the terminals on the solenoid. Then you need to ground the other terminal on the solenoid.

Comment

bsetiawan, done . Thank you : )

Comment

I'm surprised that worked. If high beams are used with DRL, they either run on lower voltage during DRL mode, or run a shorter duty cycle PWM (but with the same peak voltage as full duty cycle during high beam). Since OP indicated flickering, I thought the high beam / DRL circuit is PWM instead of analog lowering of voltage during DRL (note: an older vehicle I drive, MY2002, uses this analog method). With PWM, the relay might also flip flop to turn the solenoid on and off, replicating the flickering.

Curious, is the power to the halogen high beam bulb at a lower voltage during DRL or is it PWM?
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
          I'm surprised that worked. If high beams are used with DRL, they either run on lower voltage during DRL mode, or run a shorter duty cycle PWM (but with the same peak voltage as full duty cycle during high beam). Since OP indicated flickering, I thought the high beam / DRL circuit is PWM instead of analog lowering of voltage during DRL (note: an older vehicle I drive, MY2002, uses this analog method). With PWM, the relay might also flip flop to turn the solenoid on and off, replicating the flickering.

Curious, is the power to the halogen high beam bulb at a lower voltage during DRL or is it PWM?
          High beam 12V and DRL 6V .

Comment

I see. Then the relay you used must have an activation voltage threshold that is higher than 6V.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
              I see. Then the relay you used must have an activation voltage threshold that is higher than 6V.
              That is correct. Man I totally forgot about this forum hehehe . Everyone know just jump on Headlight Junkies and start asking questions but I still think this site helps a lot when finding infos and asking questions.

Comment

Sign of the times. Every platform has its pros and cons.

Comment

Working...
                X