wiring harness for vehicle with daytime running lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring harness for vehicle with daytime running lights

planning on doing a projector retrofit (my first) on my '09 Ford f150 that has daytime running lights. the h13 canbus harness states it wont work with DRL's on the low beam circuit. what are my options for a harnesses that will work on my truck? the truck senses when there is a bulb out or if i switch to leds and starts hyper flashing. also im undecided weather to go with the mini h1 7.0 projectors or the mini D2S 5.0 i picked the h1s because of the longer threaded shaft making for an easier install can someone confirm these are an easier install then the D2S? thanks

Projectors 1 x Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 Bi-Xenon Projectors Optional Upgraded Bulb Holders 1 x MotoHo1ders Ballasts 1 x Morimoto XB35 2.0 Ballasts AMP (Pair) Bulbs 1 x Morimoto XB H1 6500K (pair) Harness 1 x H13 Can-Bus Harness Optional Shrouds 1 x APOLLO 3.0 (BLACK SERIES) Optional Switchback Halos 1 x Profile Pivot SwitchBack Halos 100mm Optional Headlight Sealant 1 x RetroRubber Butyl Glue (Black)

While I know nothing of the F150s, I will say that for my wife's 2000 VW Beetle that has drl on the low beam, it was as simple as bending a tab down on the headlight switch to disable the drl function. I'm not saying that it's that simple for you but I found that information on a New Beetle forum. If you have not already, I strongly recommend that you join a F150 forum and see what others have done as far as retrofits. I join forums for any vehicle I own. Most times people on a forum would know more than the techs that work at the dealership because they have put time in on the vehicle and know the ins and outs.

Anyone, if you own a vehicle and have not joined a forum for that make/model, please do so asap!!! There is a lot of great information out there in the forums and sometimes the mods that we can do on our vehicles can be done for free!! You may even find causes for major problems and the fixes that make sure that they don't happen.
    Ray

Comment

On my Cobalt, I was able to yank the DRL fuse. But what I actually did was use a fuse tap on the DRL fuse slot and ran it to a relay and have it power the LED rings I installed in the shrouds on my projectors. I also inserted a diode in the fuse tap so the LED rings stay on with the low beams. So this was my way of bypassing the original DRL system and having it rerouted to a different light source other than the headlights.

Comment

I think you can access the body/lighting control ECU via forscan to bypass the DRLs/LED hyper flash.
        Originally posted by HK45
        I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by kcg795 View Post
          On my Cobalt, I was able to yank the DRL fuse. But what I actually did was use a fuse tap on the DRL fuse slot and ran it to a relay and have it power the LED rings I installed in the shrouds on my projectors. I also inserted a diode in the fuse tap so the LED rings stay on with the low beams. So this was my way of bypassing the original DRL system and having it rerouted to a different light source other than the headlights.
          Could you explain why do we need this Diode in the fuse tap ? Would the LED rings still work WITHOUT this diode ?

Comment

I put the diode in so the LED halo rings would at least stay on with the low beams.

Comment

As mentioned prior, Forscan is the software application that allowed the ability to change a bunch of different values like completely disabling the stock DRL feature on the vehicle. Which then can allow you to alternately power your own component like which via a different source. I doubt a 09 would have it, but startin around 2013s, in the dash theres a daytime running light setting that you can turn on and off, have you checked there in case you got lucky? Lastly, what harness are you talking about using? I would think you would need the H13 Mopar Spec harness (includes 2 resistors and a capacitor). Plus a set of Stand alone canbus modules.

Comment

Working...
              X