Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demon Eye Timer

Hello All,

I recently installed demon eyes (Profile Pixel Onecolor - Red) and retrofit HID system in my 2016 Subaru WRX. Since demon eyes shouldn't be run at the same time as the HID's, I have them connected to a SPDT relay. So when the headlights turn on, the demon eyes turn off, and this has been working perfectly. I pulled the power for the demon eyes from a spot in the fuse box that loses power when the car is shut off. Once again this has worked perfectly as I don't wish to have a parasitic drain.

So this now brings me to my question. I would like the demon eyes to remain on for a short time (maybe 10 minutes) after shutting off the car. Since I got the demon eyes as an accent, but rarely get a chance to use them as I run with my headlights on most of the time, so I am trying to figure out what's the best method for powering the demon eyes for a short term after the car is shut of. I was thinking of using a capacitor, but have no idea how to wire a capacitor in, or even how to properly size the capacitor.

I have attached a sketch of the wiring diagram of my current system, to hopefully help clarify.

Good question! I never used one of these, I swear I have one somewhere but never tried it. Might work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-220V-DC-...0xAU:rk:2:pf:1

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Hmm... That seems interesting, though I am not sure how it would work in my situation since it appears that it would need power 100% of the time, and since the power to the demon eyes turns off when I turn off the car, I am not sure how it would work. I would also probably need to find a way to weatherize a module like that since it would be under the hood of my car.

Then again, I could run wires into the car, and back out, but my fear is the longer I make the wires the duller the demon eyes will get, which is another issue I am working on resolving. The demon eyes have 20 gauge wiring. I am running 18 gauge wiring to them, and running both demon eyes off of the same relay. Would I get more power if I ran each demon eye off their own relay, and pull power from each headlight wiring?

Comment

Run a fuse tap to any constant circuit, or even the battery. There are project boxes for that. And no it won't get duller, because it has a constant current driver. Voltage dip over a run of properly sized wire (AKA not 22 gauge) will not affect voltage significantly even at 10 feet. Demon eyes are low wattage and don't need their own relays.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-80mmx1...gateway&sr=8-7

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Thanks for you continued help!

That's good to hear! Now I would just need some assistance with how to wire it. I would connect power from the car battery instead of the fuse box, to a fuse, then to the adjustable timer (VCC). I would run a ground from the (GND) of the adjustable timer to the car chassis. Then run power from the adjustable timer (which of the 3 points would I use?) to the SPDT Leg 30. The rest of the wiring diagram would remain the same, correct?

Since the demon eyes are using 20 gauge wiring, would it be better to run with 20 gauge wiring, or stick with 18 gauge? If I understand what you are saying, it's also perfectly fine to pull the on power for both demon eyes from the same SPDT relay, and would serve no purpose for them to run off their own SPDT relays?

In that situation, would the adjustable timer result in any type of parasitic drain?

Comment

Unfortunately I dunno about wiring it.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Waytek has relays with delay on/off.

https://www.waytekwire.com/products?...%20off%20relay

Just replace your existing relay with one of these, change where it gets it's power from, and you should be good to go.

Comment

Another option. Get one of these:

https://www.banggood.com/12V-NE555-O...r_warehouse=CN

You will have to play a bit, removing the trimmer and putting a fixed value resistor. One user claims that with 1 MOhm resistor got three minutes delay:

This is a nice little timer module that works well in monostable mode. Apply power, and the relay energizes for the set time, and then releases. Power LED (green) and timing LED (red) included. I replaced the trimmer pot with a 1M resistor for about 3 minute delay. Using this in my Porsche 911 to delay the Lamba system coming on-line for better warm-up

I suppose if you play with it, and replace the capacitor with something a bit bigger you would get what you want .

The circuit is quite versatile ( I am using it for the opposite: automatic switch on with 5 seconds delay), you have both NO and NC function in the relais.

Hope it helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Boy View Post
                  Waytek has relays with delay on/off.

https://www.waytekwire.com/products?...%20off%20relay

Just replace your existing relay with one of these, change where it gets it's power from, and you should be good to go.
                  Would the demon eyes remain on (10 min delay in turning off) when the headlights come on as well? Or would the time take place only once the car is shut off?

Comment

Originally posted by Starflex978 View Post
                    Another option. Get one of these:

https://www.banggood.com/12V-NE555-O...r_warehouse=CN

You will have to play a bit, removing the trimmer and putting a fixed value resistor. One user claims that with 1 MOhm resistor got three minutes delay:

This is a nice little timer module that works well in monostable mode. Apply power, and the relay energizes for the set time, and then releases. Power LED (green) and timing LED (red) included. I replaced the trimmer pot with a 1M resistor for about 3 minute delay. Using this in my Porsche 911 to delay the Lamba system coming on-line for better warm-up

I suppose if you play with it, and replace the capacitor with something a bit bigger you would get what you want .

The circuit is quite versatile ( I am using it for the opposite: automatic switch on with 5 seconds delay), you have both NO and NC function in the relais.

Hope it helps!
                    Hmm... That has potential, but from the sounds of it will require unsoldering a connection, and then soldering in a resistor, which is getting a bit complicated for my skill set as I am not good with soldering haha. I currently have a SPDT relay that switches off when the headlights turn on, and it appears that the timer you shared could replace the SPDT relay... if I am understanding this correctly. So this brings up my question. Would this delay timer keep the demon eyes on for the duration of the timer when the headlights are on, or only after the headlights are switched off/ when the car is turned off?

Comment

Here ones, there are lots of options out there.
                      http://timers.shop/Multi-Functional-...-amp_p_12.html

• Keep the vehicle fan or GPS running for a period of time after the ignition is turned off.
                      Or in your case the demon eye.

But no matter which one you use, you'll need both ignition 12v + and battery/constant 12v +.

Ignition will tell the relay when the car is running. Once the ignition is turned off then 12v from the ignition is gone, the relay will then start a timer and feed 12v from the battery to the demon eyes for a set amount of time. There isn't really away to just use only the ignition as the power will be gone when taking the keys out. I really doubt you can get a big enough capacitor.

Comment

Originally posted by bnevets27 View Post
                        Here ones, there are lots of options out there.
                        http://timers.shop/Multi-Functional-...-amp_p_12.html

Or in your case the demon eye.

But no matter which one you use, you'll need both ignition 12v + and battery/constant 12v +.

Ignition will tell the relay when the car is running. Once the ignition is turned off then 12v from the ignition is gone, the relay will then start a timer and feed 12v from the battery to the demon eyes for a set amount of time. There isn't really away to just use only the ignition as the power will be gone when taking the keys out. I really doubt you can get a big enough capacitor.
                        I have seen that timer while looking around, and it appears that it would perform the task that I am looking for, though from the reviews it appears to be quite complicated to set the timer up. That might become an inconvenience if I have to reprogram it every time I disconnect the battery in my car, not that this happens often, but to have to reprogram it every time I do would be a hassle.

Outside of that, would it be correct if I were to splice into the wire coming from the power from the HID's (leg 85) as the trigger, and then connect the power output of the timer leg 30 of the SPDT relay? That would result in the timer duration being triggered anytime the headlights are turned off, which would work for when I turn off the car. If my thinking is correct with this wiring configuration, if I were to turn on the headlights, turn them off, and then turn them back on, since I am still using the SPDT relay, the demon eyes would still go off as leg 85 would be powered. Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Crawler45 View Post

Would the demon eyes remain on (10 min delay in turning off) when the headlights come on as well? Or would the time take place only once the car is shut off?
                          Yes and yes, depending on how you wire it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crawler45 View Post

I have seen that timer while looking around, and it appears that it would perform the task that I am looking for, though from the reviews it appears to be quite complicated to set the timer up. That might become an inconvenience if I have to reprogram it every time I disconnect the battery in my car, not that this happens often, but to have to reprogram it every time I do would be a hassle.

Outside of that, would it be correct if I were to splice into the wire coming from the power from the HID's (leg 85) as the trigger, and then connect the power output of the timer leg 30 of the SPDT relay? That would result in the timer duration being triggered anytime the headlights are turned off, which would work for when I turn off the car. If my thinking is correct with this wiring configuration, if I were to turn on the headlights, turn them off, and then turn them back on, since I am still using the SPDT relay, the demon eyes would still go off as leg 85 would be powered. Correct?
                            Well I would assume from doing a quick scan of the manual that, that timer will remember what it was programed to even when its disconnected from the battery but you could confirm with the seller.

You might be able to use something simpler, like this. It's max time is 3.33 minutes (which I think would be enough)But would need to waterproof it and I don't know how to wire it up to use a trigger wire. I think its possible but can't think of it right now. .

Battery -> Timer (red)
                            Timer Yellow -> Leg 30
                            Timer Blue -> IGN (which is what you currently have hooked to Leg 30 coming from your fuse box)
                            Black = Ground/Leg 86

So if I got that right. The timer will always be powered (which it has to be). The timer can only send power to the Demon eyes if the headlight are off (30 and 87a connected). If headlights are turned on (30 and 87a disconnected) then timer can't send power to the Demon eyes. When the car is turned off and headlights are off (30 and 87a connected) then the timer will send power from the battery through the relay to the demon eyes. It knows the car has been turned off because the trigger wire (IGN) has lost power, and therefore the timer starts. If car is on and lights are off no timer is triggered and therefore your daemon eyes work exactly as they do now.

You'll want
                            #12 OFF DELAY

Upon application of input voltage, the timer relay is ready to accept a trigger. When the trigger is applied, the output is energized. Upon removal of the trigger, the time delay (t) begins. At the end of the time delay (t), the output is de-energized. Any application of the trigger during the time delay will reset the time delay (t) and the output remains energized.
                            Last edited by bnevets27; March 4th, 2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bnevets27 View Post

Well I would assume from doing a quick scan of the manual that, that timer will remember what it was programed to even when its disconnected from the battery but you could confirm with the seller.

You might be able to use something simpler, like this. It's max time is 3.33 minutes (which I think would be enough)But would need to waterproof it and I don't know how to wire it up to use a trigger wire. I think its possible but can't think of it right now. .

Battery -> Timer (red)
                              Timer Yellow -> Leg 30
                              Timer Blue -> IGN (which is what you currently have hooked to Leg 30 coming from your fuse box)
                              Black = Ground/Leg 86

So if I got that right. The timer will always be powered (which it has to be). The timer can only send power to the Demon eyes if the headlight are off (30 and 87a connected). If headlights are turned on (30 and 87a disconnected) then timer can't send power to the Demon eyes. When the car is turned off and headlights are off (30 and 87a connected) then the timer will send power from the battery through the relay to the demon eyes. It knows the car has been turned off because the trigger wire (IGN) has lost power, and therefore the timer starts. If car is on and lights are off no timer is triggered and therefore your daemon eyes work exactly as they do now.

You'll want
                              #12 OFF DELAY
                              I drew up a diagram, and I came up with the same connections you mentioned. I reached out to the seller, and the timer maintains the program even when power is removed, so I won't need to worry about reprogramming it once it's programmed. So I think I have found my solution, I will update once installed.
                              Last edited by Crawler45; March 4th, 2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X