Buick Lesabre DRL/High Beam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buick Lesabre DRL/High Beam

I am working on the design for my retrofit of a 2003 Buick Lesabre Custom and need assistance with the wiring. Currently, the DRL and high beam are the same bulb, with the DRL receiving a lower voltage and the high beam getting the full 12 volts when activated. I will be going with the Morimoto Mini H1 Bi-xenon and the Profile High Beam LED 3Ē Projector. I want the Bi-xenon and the high beam Led to engage together so I will be using a splitter to accomplish this. However, the high beam harness receives a lower voltage while the car is running to operate the DRLís and this poses a problem for the projector solenoid and the high beam led. What can I do to prevent them from receiving power until I activate the high beam function? Also, the Profile LED High Beam has separate DRL leads that I would like to utilize and is 2.5 watts. Can I still tap this DRL into my highbeam/drl circuit even though it wonít receive a full 12 volts, and still work? I like that the high beam flashes when I unlock the car and would like to keep this feature, but itís not imperitive. Any ideas on how to make this work please let me know!

Welcome to HID Planet! Generally DRL stuff is vehicle specific so you'd have to find out how to disable DRLs for your car.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
      Welcome to HID Planet! Generally DRL stuff is vehicle specific so you'd have to find out how to disable DRLs for your car.
      Thanks! Lurked here many times and Iíve done two retrofits already; one on my 2000 Firebird and a 2002 Dodge Neon.

The Lesabre has a DRL Relay, and a Fuse thatís labeled ďDRL/Fog LightĒ which I am not sure if they consider them the same light. Iíve tried looking up what the fog light was and I have had no luck.

I have pulled the relay for the DRL and found that doing so disabled the driver side high beam altogether. I have not tried just pulling the DRL/fog light fuse. Iíll do that and see what happens.

Comment

Yes oftentimes the DRL system is very convoluted. On my MR2, the DRL relays and fuses control the entirety of the headlights. But removing one wire in the kick panel connector disables them.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Okay I found the wiring schematic https://www.dropbox.com/s/cc8f3c6xic...light+diagrams

But I can't make sense of it. If I pull the fuse will it do the same thing as pulling the relay and disable the driver side highbeam?

Comment

Oh god I can't read schematics. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

You won't be able to do both. To accomplish the DRL function, GM runs the high beams in series off the DRL relay. During DRL operation, the Dash Integration Module closes the DRL relay and opens the Hi Beam relay, sending power from the DRL/FOG fuse through the DRL relay to pin B of the left hi beam, out pin A and through the left/right hi beam fuses, into pin A of the right hi beam, and out pin B to G401.

When you command hi beams, the opposite happens. The headlights are in parallel, with the DRL relay open, the hi beam relay closed, and power flowing out the left/right fuses, through pin A on the respective headlamp, and out pin B to G103 for the left headlamp and G401 for the right headlamp. To disable the DRL's, you need to remove the DRL relay and jump the pins for the contacts together at the fuse box, making it grounded full time. The relay should be labeled as to which terminals are which.

Comment

Originally posted by alec2538 View Post
                You won't be able to do both. To accomplish the DRL function, GM runs the high beams in series off the DRL relay. During DRL operation, the Dash Integration Module closes the DRL relay and opens the Hi Beam relay, sending power from the DRL/FOG fuse through the DRL relay to pin B of the left hi beam, out pin A and through the left/right hi beam fuses, into pin A of the right hi beam, and out pin B to G401.

When you command hi beams, the opposite happens. The headlights are in parallel, with the DRL relay open, the hi beam relay closed, and power flowing out the left/right fuses, through pin A on the respective headlamp, and out pin B to G103 for the left headlamp and G401 for the right headlamp. To disable the DRL's, you need to remove the DRL relay and jump the pins for the contacts together at the fuse box, making it grounded full time. The relay should be labeled as to which terminals are which.
                Thanks for chiming in! Could you possibly show me how to do this exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Shenanagins View Post

Thanks for chiming in! Could you possibly show me how to do this exactly?
                  Unfortunately I can't find any good pictures of anyone having done this, however it looks like an easy (and reversible) way to accomplish the DRL disable is to simply clip the LT GRN/BLK wire at terminal A4 of connector C3 of the Dash Integration Module. The module is accessed by removing the sound insulator under the glove box, and the DIM is mounded vertically towards the RH side of the car, with 3 connectors. You want the 24 pin connector, and look for the light green/black wire that's 4th in from the upper right. Leave yourself enough spare wire to splice in a repair as needed, and clip the wire. This will allow your high beams to work properly, and keep your DRL's at bay.

Comment

I donít think that will work with the drl relay either, if itís anything like my 04 Impala. Right now Iím running 2stroke 2.0s in highs and lows. Iím using relay harnesses for hids to run them and have a 1 ohm 1 watt resistor in the passenger side highbeam socket to keep the bcm from giving me a highbeam out light and turning my lows as the drls. The drivers side goes to the relay harness The led highs wonít light up enough for the light to be seen as a drl when plugged in without the harness and will flicker on and off randomly. With the resistor this doesnít happen.

Im retrofitting a set of spyder lights right now with basically the same setup as you and want to to the same as you are doing with the highs and lows and drls. My plan is to run a splitter on the low beam input of the relay, with the highs and lows of the passenger side on the other end, f9006<m9006/m9006 splitter. Iíll also have a splitter on the pass side high to connect the splitter and still have the resistor in place to keep the bcm happy. For the drls Iím going to run them both to the drivers side high beam/drl feed wire to see if it is enough to activate the drl portion is the highs. The wires for the profile and the projector high Iím going to run to the same connectors so they can both be run by the relay harness without another splitter.

Iíll know for sure if the splitter for the highs and lows will work next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiggles View Post
                      I donít think that will work with the drl relay either, if itís anything like my 04 Impala. Right now Iím running 2stroke 2.0s in highs and lows. Iím using relay harnesses for hids to run them and have a 1 ohm 1 watt resistor in the passenger side highbeam socket to keep the bcm from giving me a highbeam out light and turning my lows as the drls. The drivers side goes to the relay harness The led highs wonít light up enough for the light to be seen as a drl when plugged in without the harness and will flicker on and off randomly. With the resistor this doesnít happen.

Im retrofitting a set of spyder lights right now with basically the same setup as you and want to to the same as you are doing with the highs and lows and drls. My plan is to run a splitter on the low beam input of the relay, with the highs and lows of the passenger side on the other end, f9006<m9006/m9006 splitter. Iíll also have a splitter on the pass side high to connect the splitter and still have the resistor in place to keep the bcm happy. For the drls Iím going to run them both to the drivers side high beam/drl feed wire to see if it is enough to activate the drl portion is the highs. The wires for the profile and the projector high Iím going to run to the same connectors so they can both be run by the relay harness without another splitter.

Iíll know for sure if the splitter for the highs and lows will work next week.
                      I just looked up the wiring for your Impala, it's totally different than on the Lesabre. On the Lesabre, the DIM controls all the lighting functions, unlike the Impala which actually integrates the headlight switch and other components including the BCM. The Impala's are notoriously difficult to disable the DRL's, the Lesabre should be much easier.

Comment

Appreciate your assistance, I will give that a try when I am ready to dive into the retrofit.

Comment

Well the simplest thing stopped the DRL, #24 fuse killed the DRLs but it does not interfere with the high beam, including the flash to pass function. Now I just have to wire the lead for the drl I will be replacing it with to a constant 12v. Iíll just lose the lock and unlock flash. My turns signals still flash so Iím satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                          X