Morimoto XB Igniter alternative for clearance problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morimoto XB Igniter alternative for clearance problem

I am pretty deep into a projector retrofit project (time & money) for my motorcycle and found I made a rookie mistake. I say that because I am indeed a retrofit rookie and the new #1 item at the top of my "Notes to self" is don't forget to include the igniter when figuring overall dimensions. I am installing a Morimoto D2S projector kit into a 7" headlight bucket. I have already bought a new headlamp housing and a reflector / lens assembly and modified them, I've fabricated a nice metal basket to mount the projector assy and customized a 180mm switchback halo so the amber LEDs operate as 2 independent halves so it works for both L & R turn signals. I'm on the home stretch doing final assembly and with the wiring and realize the Morimote XB igniter hits the inside of the headlight bucket. The bucket will handle the depth. The part of the igniter where the wire harness comes out hits the side of the bucket.

So my question - Are there any alternatives like a more compact igniter, or an igniter that does not mount directly on the end of the bulb? I see the AMP>D2S adapters and it got me wondering if there are any 90 degree adapters for the igniter, or maybe an igniter that has a few inches of wire between it and the bulb plug?

One option is to get an AMP igniter for the XB ballast, and then use a D2H bulb; which is essentially a bulb with D2S base, but an AMP connector. The downside is that you won't have access to OE D2S bulbs.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I looked at the D2H bulbs with an AMP igniter and it looks like it should work. What do you think about trying the XB AMP igniter with an AMP -> D2S straight adapter cable? Could still use the D2S bulbs, but Iím not really sure how much smaller the connector is compared to the D2S igniter.

Comment

A D2S connector that doesn't have the igniter on it might be slightly smaller. Maybe just enough for your case.

One thing to keep in mind with adding length as you mentioned (i.e. ballast -- AMP igniter -- AMP-to-D2S adapter ) is that since the power line is AC, extra connections and longer line (which could alter the effective impedance of the line) might impact how reliably the ballast supplies power to create the HID arc.

In that sense, replacing the ballast altogether with one that has a small D2S connector (without igniter placed there) may be a more reliable option, but at more upfront cost to you.

Comment

I went ahead and ordered a pair of D2H bulbs, some AMP igniters, and a some AMP -> D2S adapters. I couldnít find any D2S igniters that had the igniter in a different location. Being able to use D2S bulbs is a plus, but fewer connections and adapters is generally better for reliability. I guess Iíll see which fits the best. I appreciate the help. Iíve got a lot of fabrication time in this and having to start over with a smaller projector would have really set me back.

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

So it looks like the D2H bulb will work and require no further modifications. To use the D2S bulbs or even an AMP ó> D2S adapter, Iíd have to move the reflector assembly and projector mounting basket forward which means modifying the headlamp bucket or a reflector with a more dome on the glass.

So now for my next and hopefully last question. Are there any mounting or location considerations with this AMP igniter like clearance or airflow for heat dissipation or EMI? I can fit it inside the headlamp bucket on the projector mounting basket.

Comment

No real considerations there as far as I know, and you can store it in the headlight.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
                  No real considerations there as far as I know, and you can store it in the headlight.
                  +1
                  But I prefer to store it outside of the headlight housing (in case I need to inspect connectors etc.), mechanically affixed to something (e.g. bolted under the headlight housing, like many OE applications), and away from direct water exposure.

Comment

Working...
                  X