Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

light bulb emulator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • light bulb emulator

    Hopefully this is the correct section to ask this. I am painting and modifying a set of w204 pre fl headlights. One of the issues I've come is the parking lights above the headlight units are basically shot, holder and housing alike. It isn't salvageable. What I'd like to do is basically emulate bulbs in the holder (t10/168 wedge bulbs) there are 4 total, 2 per headlight. Can anyone give me details of how I can go about this? I'd rather not have lit bulbs free floating inside the housing. Appreciate any information.
    Phaze Automotive


  • #2
    Going by the specs listed here https://www.bulbtown.com/168_Miniatu...Base_p/168.htm and using ohms law, a 40 ohm resistor wired in place of the bulb should do the trick.

    I would actually power up one of those bulbs and measure resistance with a multimeter, since the calculated resistance may be different once the bulb filament heats up.
    Last edited by Eddie; November 28th, 2018, 09:07 AM. Reason: grammar
    Originally posted by HK45
    I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Eddie, finally read your message after 20min of looking at your avatar.
      Phaze Automotive

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        Going by the specs listed here https://www.bulbtown.com/168_Miniatu...Base_p/168.htm and using ohms law, a 40 ohm resistor wired in place of the bulb should do the trick.

        I would actually power up one of those bulbs and measure resistance with a multimeter, since the calculated resistance may be different once the bulb filament heats up.
        Eddie,

        To follow up, would these Phillips units work? I had asked retrofit source and they suggested morimoto units. But as I'm international, it didn't make sense to spend all that money on shipping just for the morimoto units when I can source the Phillips units locally.

        And if the Phillips units are usable, do I need one for each parking light or just one per pair of parking lights? Phillips also offers the unit in 5w version but I thought since I'm trying to eliminate 2 parking lights per side, the 21w unit would be more suitable.
        Phaze Automotive

        Comment


        • #5
          Knightmare69 the link takes me to amazon's main page. TRS will suggest Morimoto,Profile,or Acme over others because they're in-house brands LOL.
          Originally posted by HK45
          I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            Knightmare69 the link takes me to amazon's main page. TRS will suggest Morimoto,Profile,or Acme over others because they're in-house brands LOL.
            Of course they would which is why I'm looking for similar alternatives. While I appreciate morimoto products, I can't always handle the inernational shipping costs. Let me try the link again.

            https://www.philips.com.hk/en/c-p/18...r-led-car-lamp
            Phaze Automotive

            Comment


            • #7
              I have those Philips ones, works nicely, big units as well. But the crimping bit is flimsy. I bought TapTurn relay for my car so no longer need it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Ok so an update. I tried a 21w Phillips canbus decoder/resistor unit. Unplugged one of the parking lights and plugged in the unit and it seems to be working as an emulator. I'm wondering if 21w is too much and I should change down to a 5w, unfortunately I don't have any ohm specs on the Phillips units.
                Phaze Automotive

                Comment


                • #9
                  That Philips resistor is probably in the 6 ohm range like most turn signal load resistors. Put a multimeter to it
                  Originally posted by HK45
                  I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X