Demon eye wiring question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demon eye wiring question.

I have a 2003 mustang cobra. I ordered a set of retrofits with a red demon eye. I want to wire them up to to the dome light so they only go on when I open the doors or unlock the car. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what exactly is your question? sounds like you have an idea of what you want, and a singular area of where to get that functionality from.
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

I just wanted to figure out how I would start to wire this up. Where I would get the power from the dome lights to power the demon eyes. I’m a new to hid lights and having a demon eye set up. Not sure if I need a relay. In line fuse.

Comment

I am assuming the demon eye is in a headlight set up? If so, you would run the demon eye power wire to the nearest power switched wire feeding the dome light.
        You would have to get a wiring diagram for your car and see where the power to the dome light is coming from (usually a door switch when the door is opened). You would need to know the ampage draw of the demon eye, if it is minimal you should be able to connect to the switched power supply of the dome light, or wherever and whatever you want to power the demon eye. If the power draw of the demon eye is too much for the dome light circuit you would need to fit a relay. You would wire the relay coil power supply to the dome light power supply, then wire the demon eye to a normally open set of contacts on the relay. You would have to run a 12v fused power supply to one relay contact and the other open contact to the demon eye. It's usually best to sketch the circuit you are thinking of using and maybe post it so others can check it out for you.
        Last edited by paulmackie; March 2nd, 2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 03svtcobra View Post
          I just wanted to figure out how I would start to wire this up. Where I would get the power from the dome lights to power the demon eyes. I€™m a new to hid lights and having a demon eye set up. Not sure if I need a relay. In line fuse. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          i see. i don't believe you'll need a relay or a fuse. you can try checking for a power circuit that comes alive with the dome light in the fuse box that you could tap off of, but i doubt you'll find anything-- you mentioned you wanted the functionality of the dome light(on the doors, as well as when you unlock the car) as a part of the demon eye setup, which is only available from the wiring off the cars computer to the dome light itself. that line from the computer to the dome light is not going to have a fuse on it, as the input to the computer will be fused.

so that makes your best option to tie into the dome light wires either at the dome light, or trace them down the pillars to a different, but accessible spot.
          The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98

i see. i don't believe you'll need a relay or a fuse. you can try checking for a power circuit that comes alive with the dome light in the fuse box that you could tap off of, but i doubt you'll find anything-- you mentioned you wanted the functionality of the dome light(on the doors, as well as when you unlock the car) as a part of the demon eye setup, which is only available from the wiring off the cars computer to the dome light itself. that line from the computer to the dome light is not going to have a fuse on it, as the input to the computer will be fused.

so that makes your best option to tie into the dome light wires either at the dome light, or trace them down the pillars to a different, but accessible spot.
            Thanks. I’ll try that. I was going to order a harness from diodedynamics.com that’s includes a relay and trace the wires hopefully down the pillar and tap into that.

Comment

I finally had time to find the wire for the dome light. Found the connector on the passenger side kick panel. So what I’m going to do is wire it up with a relay and a switch. Switch power will come from the wire used for the fog light mod. On my cobra there’s a wire that gives power to a convertible top motor with key on that’s not being used because my car is a hardtop. Now to find a relay. I post up a schematic once I find a relay

Comment

Working...
              X