D2S -> amp adapters clarification?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2S -> amp adapters clarification?

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I am moving into the phase of using OE ballasts/igniters in my retrofits and I'd like to have a better understanding of when is it OK to use D2S -> amp adapters. Scenario: OE D2S electrical parts paired with H1 bulbs. Let's not turn it into "just use D2S bulbs/projectors" please. I've done research, but could not come up with a 100% answer to the question.

From TRS:
    "Works with 99% of D2S HD ballasts that have "D2S" outputs excluding any with external igniters like the Matsushita ballasts. Please confirm compatibility by checking the product pictures if unsure."

How do I determine if there is an igniter build into D2S socket in the OE setup? For instance, Hella and Matsushita D2S sockets look the same to me, but it seems like it is ok to use adapters with Hella, but not Matsushita...

Thank you.

Well I know Denso slim have built-in ignitor, so you can use that.
    I don't see why you couldn't use a male D2 to AMP at the end of the OE D2 plug.

Last edited by niZmO_Man; February 22nd, 2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I don't see why they won't work with external ignitor ballasts, D2S (and D2R) use the same P32d base regardless
      Originally posted by HK45
      I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Same bulb base yes, but some OE D2S and D2R ballasts DO package an igniter into the bulb socket for EMI reasons, the socket is a little bulkier and heavier than a normal one and there's some doo-dads inside it.
        2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
        1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter View Post
          Same bulb base yes, but some OE D2S and D2R ballasts DO package an igniter into the bulb socket for EMI reasons, the socket is a little bulkier and heavier than a normal one and there's some doo-dads inside it.
          Ok, so with that said, is there anything that prevents me from using said adapters in a setup where igniter is build into the bulb socket?

Thanks.

Comment

I don't think so, no. As long as all the bits are in the chain to fire the bulb and the cord length isn't excessive it will work just fine. Of course those should be enclosed in the headlight or otherwise sealed up since D2S isn't meant to be exposed to the elements.
            2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
            1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Thank you for clarification!

Comment

Working...
              X