Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delaying HIDís startup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Delaying HIDís startup

    Sorry if that was already here but i want to ask if there is any possibilty to delay the startup of my retrofitted headlights , i know i can just turn them off while starting the engine but in case i forget or my girlfriend is driving the car or so.. I tried timed relay module but havent worked so well( china crap, it burned). Anyone knows about oem or similar to oem module for delaying ? Thank for advice

  • #2
    Timed relay is probably the OE solution short of the computer module having a programmed timer. Perhaps the relay wasn't rated high enough? You may have better luck if you place the timed relay on the signal side of your wiring harness, so that it doesn't have to handle high current flow.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

    3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

    Comment


    • #3
      I actually did that, so it triggered the relay not the ballasts but it was not proper relay i guess, waiting for classic timed relay if that helps but i was searching for some more refined module.

      Comment


      • #4
        I found using a cheap ebay relay to trigger a proper relay to handle the high current worked for me.

        But a proper all in one solution as you said is way better if you can find one.




        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Defyant View Post
          I found using a cheap ebay relay to trigger a proper relay to handle the high current worked for me.
          That looks like an interesting solution

          Haven't seen a post from you for a while

          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

          3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

          Comment


          • #6
            Heya mate yer tis been while good to see you still here the LED modding forum looks a bit quiet

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Defyant View Post
              Heya mate yer tis been while good to see you still here the LED modding forum looks a bit quiet
              Likewise.
              I think the whole webforum has gotten a lot quieter. Supposedly, headlight junkies and other alternatives are the way to go now.
              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

              3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by satrya View Post
                Likewise. I think the whole webforum has gotten a lot quieter. Supposedly, headlight junkies and other alternatives are the way to go now.
                Then i'd better start a worklog keep the DIY thing alive!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Defyant View Post
                  Then i'd better start a worklog keep the DIY thing alive!
                  Maybe

                  Or perhaps the number of people doing DIY will be like the number of people that know how to start fire with kindling.
                  Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                  3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Buy super slow startup ballasts😜

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mayurhuria View Post
                      Buy super slow startup ballasts😜
                      Suppose we take your comment at face value for the sake of argument (I believe you're kidding); ballasts that startup very slow may not necessarily draw less current during its initial startup spike. In fact, some of them may be even worse.
                      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                      3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by satrya View Post

                        Suppose we take your comment at face value for the sake of argument (I believe you're kidding); ballasts that startup very slow may not necessarily draw less current during its initial startup spike. In fact, some of them may be even worse.
                        Ok I re-write it
                        Buy slow startup, less initial and overall current draw ballasts😬

                        I was just kidding though(this happens when you start spending time on headlight junkies lol)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          There are ballasts designed for low initial current draw. I know Hylux makes a version specifically to get around that. It's a slow start version with low initial current draw.

                          2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I eventually bought better 5sec delay relay and i use it to power up the morimoto harness and it works well now. I’m not throwing my gen3’ís away

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X