Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 Acura TSX wiring confusion

Hi
    I have a 04 Acura TSX with halogen lights. One of my friends had some spare broken Luxury headlights with ballast and everything. So I decided to retrofit the projectors and the housing to my headlight. There's one confusion that I have. The wiring harness in my car looks like this

And the ballast look like this.

I didnt receive the headlights yet so i cant confirm. But will they fit? If not then is there any plug that i can replace mine with to fit it directly to the ballast?

Call the junkyards and get the proper connector from a wrecked TSX. Likely you can remove your pins and slide them directly into the new connector shell. You could also try to get just the connector from acura/honda, but I think you will have no luck with that approach.

Comment

It looks like you're holding a 3 pin connector, and the ballast has two pins. Really it's a matter of lining up the power and ground with the ballast connector, then finding out what that third pin is for (DRL?).

Comment

Originally posted by Zac. View Post
        It looks like you're holding a 3 pin connector, and the ballast has two pins. Really it's a matter of lining up the power and ground with the ballast connector, then finding out what that third pin is for (DRL?).
        He would still need the connector shell to secure the female pins to the male pins on the ballast. Yes, he could just unpin his connector and shove them onto the ballast but that isn't something I would do to my car or any customers. It would be fine for workbench testing. You could likely take the ballast to a junkyard and find that same connector shell on any honda/acura car from the same era. Likely used on other items such as a horn or a random solenoid valve. Just find something that will plug in and snip the connector off of the car.

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't promoting just unpinning the factory one, although it does look like I did.

I was really just interested in what the other pin on the connector would be for.

Comment

Ok so went to the wreckers and got these. But now I'm wondering which one is the earth wire. The red/green one is probably the active one and the black is the earth wire. However what about the other one? There is a yellow wire and a green/yellow wire. Which one is ground wire. The car is from Australia

Comment

It's almost universal that black is ground and red is power. Wonder how easy it would be to find an Acura electrical wiring diagram to see which wire does what.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that one of the 3 wires is constant +12V and the other 2 are ground and switched +12V. That way the ballast gets a direct connection from the fuse box under the hood, and it wouldn't require a separate relay to power that ballast.

Comment

His car has halogens, and has the 3pin connector. The ballast only has two pins.

Comment

Working...
                  X