Aiming low beam relative to high beam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aiming low beam relative to high beam

I am currently retrofitting a set of Mini h1s into my 03 Silverado in the 9006 socket and retaining the oem high beam (9005) in addition to the high beam on the mini h1.

What should the alignment be between the mini h1 hotspot and/or cutoff and the 9005 hotspot be? Any information on the subject is appreciated.

Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread. I searched but did not have much luck.

Thanks in advance,
    Blake

If you can still place the original halogen low beam bulb, it may be best to mark them on the wall to see.
    Otherwise, the elbow of the low beam cutoff and the high beam hotspot must be parallel.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

The horizontal aim will remain as it originally was as there is no way to change it on the OEM high beam and obviously there shouldn't be a need to anyways. The projector horizontal alignment will be so that they are parallel with each other and the centerline of the vehicle.

The vertical alignment of the projector hotspot and the OEM high beam hotspot are all that I can adjust relative to one another. I assume that the hotspot of the OEM high beam should be slightly higher then the projector but I wasn't sure if there is a standard so to speak.

Comment

^
        And that's why I suggested to put the halogen bulbs back on the housing, set it on a fixture, and see where the hotspots of the low and high beams of the OE setting are relative to each other on the wall. That would be a good place to start as a ballpark reference.

Comment

Yea I will start there. My only concern was that the headlamp may be adjusted quite a but lower (I am lifted 7.5 inches as well :-/) then OEM with the projectors but its a start like you said. The little info I found said to put the hotspots on top of each other or the high beam just slightly above the low beam.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

You're welcome.
            Another observation to consider is that for biXenons and biHalogens, the low and high beam hotspots are essentially shared. That leads me to believe that they shouldn't be too far apart from a pitch angle (i.e. "vertical aim") pov. Or at least, having both close together is not so unacceptable that biXenons and biHalogens are a terrible design.

Comment

7.5" lift on the street with bixenons sounds like a very bad set-up for oncoming traffic. Just about everything on the road will be below the cutoff all the time.

Comment

That's unfortunate. Trucks already have a higher central point of the low beams to begin with. With a lift, aiming the projector down would render the improved output useless, but aiming it normal would affect everyone else.

Perhaps there is a foglight spot that can be perfect for the low beams. That way, the retrofit is actually useful to the user, and doesn't adversely affect everyone else.

Comment

If you want to drive a truck lifted that much in traffic you can't use your OEM housings.

Comment

The subject of projectors and lifted vehicles is definitely controversial.

Fortunately, regardless of where they get mounted, the truck is not driven much at night.

Comment

Originally posted by BajaClawZ71 View Post
                      The subject of projectors and lifted vehicles is definitely controversial.
                      Indeed.

And unlike knowledgeable members like you, there are enough examples of lifted trucks on the freeway with beams that is too high. For example, in California (and probably in other states in the US), "off-road" lights that are mounted above 42" have to be covered at all times when driving on the freeway (to prevent it from freeway use). I suspect it has to do with the impact of the beam to same and opposite direction traffic. Placing low beams above this height probably has the same ill effect.

Comment

Working...
                      X