Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Projector choice - FX-R 3.0 / RX-350 / EvoX-R

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Projector choice - FX-R 3.0 / RX-350 / EvoX-R

    Hello buddies,

    I'm here to ask you some questions about my first retrofit's projector choice.

    I am not satisfied with my generic MH1 6.0 output. I have ordered a set of headlights with those projectors installed, but the alignment seems to be NOT done properly. The cutoff lines on both projectors are bowing down to the left and right. The cutoff on the left projector is also not that sharp as the other one. Colors visible on the cutoff line don't match too - the sharp cutoff is nice and blue while the other one is orange - yellowish. Rotation also seems to be off. Generally speaking - not the best retrofit out there.

    Now let's head on to the questions. This time I am going to do the whole retrofit myself. I am aware that cutting will be involved as the projectors I am mostly interested in are bigger than MH1 and MD2S. My headlights are rather small too. However those projectors of my choice should fit in those.

    So, which one should I choose and why?

    FX-R 3.0 2,5"
    EvoX-R 3"
    RX-350 3"

    I drive mostly on lit city roads, however sometimes I have hundreds of kilometres to drive at night.

    Which one of those has the best output with no tuning involved? Which output is the widest, which one throws the farthest and which cutoff line is the most sharp and table top without modifying?

    Also how hard is to tune those to get the best output possible and to add some foreground limiters to them?

    I will probably use some Morimoto bulbs in those.

    Thank you in advance for any input and advices here.

    Greg

  • #2
    Without tuning - FX-Rs and Evos are pretty close. Evos are a bit more streaky and have upward bowing cutoffs. Good color and distance. FX-Rs have a super sharp flat cutoff with minor streaking and are decently wide with decent distance. If I had to pick, FX-Rs (because I have them lol)

    With tuning - hands down 350 with a STI clear lens and minor shield adjustments. If it's wide you want, these are it.
    Last edited by HK45; November 18th, 2015, 12:12 PM.
    *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

    2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

    DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

    Comment


    • #3
      I love RX350's and its what are in both of my vehicles. With tuning, a lot of tuning, they are great projectors with amazing width/color/distance. That being said I have to stress I do mean a LOT of tuning, a few hours a projector at least.

      No experience with the evox-r or the fx-r but there seem to be much more people using the fx-r FWIW.

      Comment


      • #4
        Colorband and flatness/bowing of the cutoff are a matter of precise placement of the shield relative to the bowl, bulb, and lens. However, I wouldn't exclude a projector just because the cutoff isn't flat; there are OE projectors designed with some slight curvature far away from the elbow of the cutoff for good reason.

        Just to add to what has been said (in posts #2 & 3);
        RX350 and EvoX-R have an open projector design, which makes it much easier to tweak when you tune for things. For example, adding a foreground limiter is a lot easier thanks to this.

        Imho, compared to OE halogen solutions, most decent biXenons have much more width. In that sense, any of the 3 should get you decent width. I'm not talking about LS460 width (but diminished hot spot for distance reach), but they should be wide enough. However, I'd rather have something with more emphasis on distance (for freeway driving), and possibly augment it with low range but wide beams for twisty road driving as needed.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

        3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by HK45 View Post
          Without tuning - FX-Rs and Evos are pretty close. Evos are a bit more streaky and have upward bowing cutoffs. Good color and distance. FX-Rs have a super sharp flat cutoff with minor streaking and are decently wide with decent distance. If I had to pick, FX-Rs (because I have them lol)

          With tuning - hands down 350 with a STI clear lens and minor shield adjustments. If it's wide you want, these are it.
          What about the foreground in FX-Rs? Is it really needed to add a FL in these projectors? My car is rather low if that matters. Have you added a FL in yours?

          Does the 3" version offer better output than the 2,5" one? Which ones do you have in your headlights?

          Originally posted by xcrider View Post
          I love RX350's and its what are in both of my vehicles. With tuning, a lot of tuning, they are great projectors with amazing width/color/distance. That being said I have to stress I do mean a LOT of tuning, a few hours a projector at least.

          No experience with the evox-r or the fx-r but there seem to be much more people using the fx-r FWIW.
          A lot of tuning is not what I am looking for. I have very limited free time to be honest.

          So RX350s are out this time.

          Comment


          • #6
            ^
            Supposedly, the 3" and 2.5" versions have identical focal lengths. However, there have been comparisons from 3" and 2.5" owners (although I'm not sure if any had tried both at the same time) that suggest the 2.5" is slightly better. It isn't that obvious from the pictures in TRS' projector output thread:
            http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...r-Post-via-TRS
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

            3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by satrya View Post
              Colorband and flatness/bowing of the cutoff are a matter of precise placement of the shield relative to the bowl, bulb, and lens. However, I wouldn't exclude a projector just because the cutoff isn't flat; there are OE projectors designed with some slight curvature far away from the elbow of the cutoff for good reason.

              Just to add to what has been said (in posts #2 & 3);
              RX350 and EvoX-R have an open projector design, which makes it much easier to tweak when you tune for things. For example, adding a foreground limiter is a lot easier thanks to this.

              Imho, compared to OE halogen solutions, most decent biXenons have much more width. In that sense, any of the 3 should get you decent width. I'm not talking about LS460 width (but diminished hot spot for distance reach), but they should be wide enough. However, I'd rather have something with more emphasis on distance (for freeway driving), and possibly augment it with low range but wide beams for twisty road driving as needed.
              Yes, I know that in some situations it is highly appreciated having some curvature in cutoff line, in example if your car is really really low you would add some upward bowing to gain more width. But the cutoff bowing downward like I have it now drives my crazy and I thought flat cutoff is what I am looking for. My car isn't crazy low.

              Which one (FX-R or EvoX-R) offers better overall output straight out of the box?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Synek View Post
                What about the foreground in FX-Rs? Is it really needed to add a FL in these projectors? My car is rather low if that matters. Have you added a FL in yours?

                Does the 3" version offer better output than the 2,5" one? Which ones do you have in your headlights?.
                I have stock 2.5" FX-Rs. FG is not too bad but better than Evos IMO. You will need a FG limiter in Evos to help rid some of the streakiness. Satrya has a FG limiter on his Evos and it looks really good. I feel the 2.5" has a more intense output vs the 3".

                Originally posted by Synek View Post
                Yes, I know that in some situations it is highly appreciated having some curvature in cutoff line, in example if your car is really really low you would add some upward bowing to gain more width. But the cutoff bowing downward like I have it now drives my crazy and I thought flat cutoff is what I am looking for. My car isn't crazy low.

                Which one (FX-R or EvoX-R) offers better overall output straight out of the box?
                Evos have an intense hotspot great for distsnce. FX-Rs have a little more light distribution along the cutoff giving them a little more width and sharp cutoff. And as I said earlier, they both have streaks, but Evos are just too streaky for my likings. Take a look at their stock outputs here: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...r-Post-via-TRS
                *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

                2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

                DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by HK45 View Post
                  I have stock 2.5" FX-Rs. FG is not too bad but better than Evos IMO. You will need a FG limiter in Evos to help rid some of the streakiness. Satrya has a FG limiter on his Evos and it looks really good. I feel the 2.5" has a more intense output vs the 3".
                  Just to add, imho, I thought the FX-R had more foreground. Either way, my adding an FG limiter on the EvoX-R was specifically to take out the foreground.

                  Originally posted by HK45 View Post
                  And as I said earlier, they both have streaks, but Evos are just too streaky for my likings. Take a look at their stock outputs here: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...r-Post-via-TRS
                  What streaks? Those are rays of enlightenment
                  Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                  3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by satrya View Post
                    Just to add, imho, I thought the FX-R had more foreground. Either way, my adding an FG limiter on the EvoX-R was specifically to take out the foreground.

                    What streaks? Those are rays of enlightenment
                    Okay okay they are pretty much equal. And along with taking out the FG, you unintentionally took out the streaks :-)


                    Haha. I don't mind the 2 streaks I get from the FX-Rs. They're like directional arrows. But the 20 streaks from the Evos is too much.
                    *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

                    2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

                    DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Is this a repost thread?? I thought this same thread was asked last week?

                      I believe my reply was I'm the coolest peasant one shall ever meet n greet.
                      2017 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        After looking at the output pictures I like the FX-Rs more than the EvoX-Rs. I have almost decided, but yet one more question - how much of a difference FX-Rs will do compared to generic MH1 6.0? I mean I can clearly see a difference in cutoff, but what about brightness, width and distance in real life? Will it be a big improvement?

                        I have also read somewhere in the forums that FX-Rs do tend to be tricky with aftermarket bulbs. What does that mean and how about the Morimoto ones?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          MH1 are your entry level projectors and are a step above halogen reflectors. You are stuck using ONLY aftermarket rebased bulbs. They have tons of foreground with little width and little distance. Also, there is a high probabitlty of bulb alignment being a complete nightmare in a MH1.

                          Being able to use D2S bulbs in FX-Rs or Evos allows you to use OEM bulbs. OEM bulbs are the brightest and longest lasting bulbs on the market. Yes FX-Rs are very finicky with aftermarket bulbs. The latest line of Mori XBs are better than most and have little alignment issues, but they're still there. Not saying all applications will need adjusting, but saying it is a possibility. Yes OEM bulbs are more expensive, but you get the precision, output, and longevity that you are paying for.
                          *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

                          2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

                          DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            So the answer is yes, it will be a huge improvement over the MH1, right? I am not saying I won't buy OEM bulbs, however I rather thought Morimoto ones are OEM like.

                            What about OEM projectors, are they better than FX-Rs in terms of width, distance and brightness?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Synek View Post
                              So the answer is yes, it will be a huge improvement over the MH1, right?

                              What about OEM projectors, are they better than FX-Rs in terms of width, distance and brightness?
                              Yes

                              Many OEM projectors are better than aftermarket, a few aren't.
                              *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

                              2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

                              DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X