Best 9006 wire harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 9006 wire harness

Hey guys. So I have had both the current and the previous gen Morimoto 9006 harness and they have both given me trouble within a years time. When I look at the quality of some of the wire terminal crimpings and the rubber seals in the connectors they are not up to my standard, and that appears to be where some of the issues are originating from. Anyway I was wondering if anyone had used any of the other brand harnesses out there and if they have had better success with them than the Morimotos. I prefer one with dual triggers, dual relays, and dual fuzes. Thanks!
    Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Sounds like you'll need to make your own then. For the price point, this is as good as it gets by far.

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

Originally posted by ImagioX1 View Post
      I prefer one with dual triggers, dual relays, and dual fuzes.
      If you use 2 regular harnesses, but only take advantage of one output channel each, don't you have a relay harness with dual triggers, relays, & fuse?

Or do you mean a cross-redundant one? (i.e. if one fuse blows, you can switch the other one to handle both channels, etc.) The wiring would be complex imho
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Buy your own crimpers and make your own. Or buy a TRS one and cut it apart and redo all you don't like about it.
        Having dual relays, fuses, etc is IMHO unnecessary for most vehicles.
        2013 Grand Caravan. LS460s + RX350s.

Comment

Originally posted by TRSAndrew View Post
          Sounds like you'll need to make your own then. For the price point, this is as good as it gets by far.
          I guess so.
          Originally posted by lowfat View Post
          Buy your own crimpers and make your own. Or buy a TRS one and cut it apart and redo all you don't like about it.
          Having dual relays, fuses, etc is IMHO unnecessary for most vehicles.
          The OEM headlight wiring for each headlight on vehicles are completely separate from one another for safety purposes. Spend thousands of dollars on a retrofit and then skimping on the wiring harness makes no sense to me. You were trying to increase the safety by doing a retrofit but you undo part of it by getting rid of the wiring redundantcy

Originally posted by satrya View Post
          If you use 2 regular harnesses, but only take advantage of one output channel each, don't you have a relay harness with dual triggers, relays, & fuse?

Or do you mean a cross-redundant one? (i.e. if one fuse blows, you can switch the other one to handle both channels, etc.) The wiring would be complex imho
          No I do not mean cross redundant. Just 2 seperate harnesses for each light.

Comment

No I do not mean cross redundant. Just 2 seperate harnesses for each light.
            Ok. In that case, and in light of TRSAndrew's remark on the commercial options, seems like buying 2 harnesses and taking advantage of only 1 channel each would be the easiest?
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Possibly. My issue with TRS harnesses are deeper than just not having two triggers though. I bought a "y" connector from them and didn't use them long at all and the grommets fell out allowing water to get into the connector. I have not had that exact issue with the relay harness yet but the grommets are not fitting very well. The crimping on the wires is very sloppy as well. I bought some headlight connects from O'Reiley and they were much better quality.

Comment

I guess so.

The OEM headlight wiring for each headlight on vehicles are completely separate from one another for safety purposes. Spend thousands of dollars on a retrofit and then skimping on the wiring harness makes no sense to me. You were trying to increase the safety by doing a retrofit but you undo part of it by getting rid of the wiring redundantcy
                The only difference is if lose both lights if something goes wrong, which shouldn't happen if the install was done right. It isn't going to be more reliable. More complicated wiring = more points of possible failures. The relays, fuse holders, and fuses definitely don't have a problem with the amperage the ballasts will pull.

The rubber grommets are actually supposed to be placed inside the the crimp, which is why the crimps don't seem well done. Honestly can't tell you why they don't do this.

Comment

Two seperate harnesses for each headlight, if properly made and installed, is more reliable and dependable than one that shares components. When one of the shared components goes bad both lights will go out instead of a single and can leave you stranded.

Comment

It isn't hard to make your own, but the supplies won't be cheap and you'll probably have to buy more than you need to use. I usually hack up premade stuff to suit my own needs, I cut up a TRS harness to boost my halogen H7's and then reused it to power the OEM ballasts in my Celica. Doesn't see the wet and all the connections are far away from water so no issues here, have you tried packing with di-electric silicone grease?
                    2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                    1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Two seperate harnesses for each headlight, if properly made and installed, is more reliable and dependable than one that shares components. When one of the shared components goes bad both lights will go out instead of a single and can leave you stranded.
                      In aftermarket wiring most failures are going to be from moisture. Make sure you install everything properly, ziptie connections together if they are loose, and use dielectric grease in the connectors and I bet you'll never blow a fuse/relay ever even if both lights are sharing a fuse/relay.

I am pretty anal about my wiring. I made all my own harnesses. But I still shared relays and fuses whenever possible as using more is IMHO just a waste of parts and time. An example of one of the three harnesses required for my headlights.

I wouldn't ever make them for someone else though. Like Bitter said it isn't hard but they are time consuming to make them right. The connectors and relays get expensive if you can't buy them in bulk. Proper tools like good crimpers can be expensive as well.

Comment

That picture shows something important, heat shrink through the grommets. That gives the wire a little extra thickness to make the grommet seal tighter. Use the glue filled heat shrink for the best sealing, put silicone grease on everything, and yea you'll be fine. Hell I see OEM wire harnesses on new cars that aren't even weather proof, had a 11 F350 at the shop and the whole fuse block isn't sealed in any way at all. Bottom is just a snapped on cover and inside all the terminals are bare, a truck which in commercials is splashing through rivers and mud and water and stuff. BTW, it was in for a rotted wire at the PCM power relay. Well in for not starting because of that rotted wire.
                        2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                        1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

In my other thread i stated pricing is not an issue. I'm willing to pay for quality. I just hate having to keep replacing my harness every year along with other connectors because they are not made right. On this set here I did not seal all the connections with dielectric grease as I should but I did on the previous harness and connectors they both still went bad.

Actually though I found someone who may make me a harness.

Comment

That's strange.
                            I've used about 6 harnesses, plus multiple splitters and Various D2S adapters etc... All from TRS. Never had an issues except recently my Jeep MOPAR harness had bad connections to the ballasts. Yes they were 9006, from the harness to ballast input. Andrew promptly sent me warranty replacements that I spliced in and presto, problem solved. So far.

Comment

I've said it in lowfat's thread as well, that blue custom harness looks beautiful!

Comment

Working...
                              X