2000 Subaru Legacy headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Subaru Legacy headlights

I plan on retrofitting the headlights on my new ride (2000 subaru Legacy L sedan) and I have two options for headlights, One of them is a single bulb (9006 I believe?) or a dual bulb (H1 low, 9005 high) I like how the dual bulb looks, but it also gives a little less room for a projector and shroud - Where as the single bulb has plenty of room for a projector AND shroud without alot of mods.

I was looking probably into a Mini H1 or a Mini d2s, mostly because of cost and how some of them can just be threaded into the housing.

I searched, and found a few threads, but all the pictures didn't work anymore - Wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of those lights, and how hard it was to retrofit.

Check out my signature.
    Subaru Outback retrofit:
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
    License plate lights with dual brightness:
    https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

As you can see in Crossgolf's thread, the dual bulb version won't necessarily buy you much in terms of being able to use the low beam reflector for a biXenon and still keep a functioning high beam halogen area. But yes, the black trim piece that "frames" the two separate areas is rather nice.

I recommend the single bulb (dual filament) housing version, and get Mini D2S 3.0. There are some good deals in TRS' closeout section (or you can always find other sources that sell used OE projectors for a good price) worth considering.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I thought about getting the JDM OEM HID Reflector housings, Found a pair on eBay - But I've heard the output isn't that great. I'll check out the thread. Thanks

Comment

^
          Unless you really want it for the aesthetics, I don't think getting a D2R system is necessarily worth the trouble. Even worse, the reflectors can't be simply modified to meet the opposite hand drive condition in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
            ^
            Unless you really want it for the aesthetics, I don't think getting a D2R system is necessarily worth the trouble. Even worse, the reflectors can't be simply modified to meet the opposite hand drive condition in the US.
            Yeah; That's another thing I was reading. I am just gonna get the single bulb housing and go with a Mini D2s. Hopefully I won't need to cut / mod the housing too much to make it fit. I am really hoping I can just use the threaded shaft on the mini D2s (will make alignment alot easier, and should I need to ever replace the housings / projector)

Comment

It was a lot of work to put the old mini D2S in there and make it look OEMish...
              If you don't want the GT look go with the Legacy headlights and use a nice OEM projectore or the newest Mini D2S.
              Lengthwise the old Mini D2S was the only projector that would fit inside the housing. Others have used different projectors but had to modify the back of the housing.
              Subaru Outback retrofit:
              http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
              License plate lights with dual brightness:
              https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

I'm really trying to avoid modding the back of the housing (Short of cutting out the old bulb holder) i really don't wanna cut too much into the housing if at all possible.

Comment

What about those Murano LED low beam projectors? They don't need space behind them for bulb access etc.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                    What about those Murano LED low beam projectors? They don't need space behind them for bulb access etc.
                    Hmm. Not sure. Still seems like I'd have to mod the housing for it to fit / mount it.

My worry is having to cut into the housing, With some housings all you have to do is just trim down the old bulb holder for the threads (And in my case, threads of a Mini D2s)

Comment

Working...
                    X