MH1s as fogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MH1s as fogs?

Anyone ever use MH1s as fogs light projectors? I'm planning on upgrading the MH1s in my headlights to EVO-XR or d2s and I'm thinking about putting the MH1s in a set of clear lense fog light housings. I know alot of people do the fusion fogs, I'm just trying to keep cost down. Wiring all the high beams together would be kinda cool too. They would be going on a 2000 f150.

If I were to recycle a pair of Mini H1 on the foglight mounting position, I'd put a foreground limiter on it. I don't mean to necessarily eliminate the foreground completely, but when the mounting position is moved that low, what used to be medium distance light turns into a very bright light right in front of the vehicle for no good reason. You'd need to experiment with the extent of the foreground as set on the foglight height.

The other thing I'd consider is to fit a ribbed lens to help spread out the beam sideways. This will reduce the intensity of the hotspot, but I don't think a hotspot is needed since the objective is not distance lighting in the sense of low or high beams.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I found a ~2.5" outer diameter lens in dealextreme that looks like this:

In the example above, I mounted it onto a generic projector that didn't have a very good beam pattern to begin with. Here it is with the original clear lens, and standard 55W H1 halogen bulb:

The picture is taken with the projector at approximately low beam height. Notice the terrible dark ring and the very strong foreground. When the clear lens is replaced by the ribbed lens (with the ribs oriented vertically), the output is "spread" sideways like so:

As is, the foreground is going to be much brighter when mounted at the foglight position. But you can imagine with Mini H1 6.0, which has a much better beam pattern than this, you can get a more useful short range & wide beam when the immediate foreground is blocked by a FG limiter.

The other benefit is that the cutoff becomes softer. You may think that's an odd thing to say, but with a position that low, a sharp cutoff will make the lit up portion of the road bounce around at the slightest change in road pitch & crests/bumps. A soft cutoff will make the coverage more consistent.

Comment

Awesome thank you I will have to mess around with them when I pull them out of my current headlights. Would you wire the high beams from the headlights into the mh1 fogs too so there is quad highs?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvolari
          You can but it will add lots of foreground.
          Talking about the mh1 in general or just the high beam function? I figure if it's there might as well use it

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvolari
            I agree. The foreground requirement for high beam is more stringent than the medium-range-wide-beam "foglight" you(OP)'re trying to achieve with the Mini H1.

@OP, maybe you can mount the custom FG limiter onto the solenoid mechanism so it slides down, blocking more FG when in quad high beam mode. I don't think this has been done before, so you'll be exploring new grounds. Sounds like fun.

Comment

Comment

Op: I meant for both low and high mode. I was gonna suggest that, like Satrya said, you want even less foreground in HB mode. But that sliding foreground limiter is a brilliant idea by Satrya! Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                  I agree. The foreground requirement for high beam is more stringent than the medium-range-wide-beam "foglight" you(OP)'re trying to achieve with the Mini H1.

@OP, maybe you can mount the custom FG limiter onto the solenoid mechanism so it slides down, blocking more FG when in quad high beam mode. I don't think this has been done before, so you'll be exploring new grounds. Sounds like fun.
                  I'll have to play around with it. I won't be able to do the actual retrofit until round Christmas when I upgrade the headlights so there is plenty of time to plan everything. I'm gonna try to make clear lenses tonight tho. These will be going in the fog light position on my truck but they will be higher than the fog lights on most vehicles, since my truck is leveled on 33s. They will probably be 2 or 2.5 feet above the ground. Will that effect how much I have to limit the forground?

Comment

You can, but I think it would be overkill, since your fogs lights should only act as supplemental lighting.
                    2010 Civic Si

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvolari View Post
                      But that sliding foreground limiter is a brilliant idea by Satrya! Brilliant!

Which means more interesting experiments for all of us to marvel on.

Comment

im currently running mini-h1 in my foglights. as mentioned above, you will need a very aggressive foreground limiter if you want these mini's to preform as a functional "fog light".

if you dont put a foreground limiter then youll just be blinding your self and they will basically be "AUX lighting"
                        Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

I was almost done Making one clear lense and my dremal decided to die on me [emoji29] I have done countless projects with that thing lol I new it was gonna go soon in the meantime I'll see if I can mock up a 3d file of the improved forground limiter and cutoff shield

Comment

Originally posted by michael.kozera View Post
                            im currently running mini-h1 in my foglights. as mentioned above, you will need a very aggressive foreground limiter if you want these mini's to preform as a functional "fog light".

if you dont put a foreground limiter then youll just be blinding your self and they will basically be "AUX lighting"
                            So did you modifiy your forground limiter? If so do you have any pics

Comment

Originally posted by 2thousand5four View Post
                              So did you modifiy your forground limiter? If so do you have any pics
                              its not that i modified it???? the mini does not have one, ( my version at least , 4.0 i belive)

i added a very aggressive one.
                              Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

Working...
                              X