Headlight Lens clarity - A comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Lens clarity - A comparison

I am in the middle of doing a retrofit on my MKIV Jetta and just assumed that upgrading to the glass lenses would provide good durability and clarity. I was wrong about the clarity.

These are FX-R 3.0 2.5" projectors with Osram Night Breaker 4300K Bulbs.

Sorry for no audio....

:15 - :35 - My 85,000 OEM plastic lenses. While not bad they are not new either.

:40 - 1:10 - NON OEM Upgraded glass lenses from a popular supplier.

1:10 - 1:25 - My 85,000 OEM plastic lenses. While not bad they are not new either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhJdnBXRofE

The lens are flat and not curved

http://c1521972.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/...4740_large.jpg

Comment

Did you try playing with the lens/shield spacing? Different lenses have slightly different focal lengths.

Comment

Originally posted by tofushopguy View Post
        Did you try playing with the lens/shield spacing? Different lenses have slightly different focal lengths.
        I am comparing the protective lens covering the headlights not the actual projector lens.

Comment

Well there goes my theory. Lol.

Comment

The glass lens will be thicker than plastic and any distortions in the glass will be greater, thickness variations and even yes the very slight curve of the lens will cause changes in the light passing through it. Plastic lens is much thinner so it will bend the light much less.

Did you make sure to clean the glass very well before the testing? Often glass will have a film or haze on it that must be removed first, sometimes with a mild abrasive like rubbing compound or car paint polish, then wash the lens with isopropyl alcohol and dry it with a lint free cloth. Then re-test.
            2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
            1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter View Post
              The glass lens will be thicker than plastic and any distortions in the glass will be greater, thickness variations and even yes the very slight curve of the lens will cause changes in the light passing through it. Plastic lens is much thinner so it will bend the light much less.

Did you make sure to clean the glass very well before the testing? Often glass will have a film or haze on it that must be removed first, sometimes with a mild abrasive like rubbing compound or car paint polish, then wash the lens with isopropyl alcohol and dry it with a lint free cloth. Then re-test.
              Yeah, I used a microfiber cloth with water to clear the haze. Just looking through the glass I could tell it was not clear at all. Oddly enough the vendors website said although there are imperfections they do not change the output. However, they did accept the return.

I was going to run a 40 mil Lamin-X film on my retrofit but I am not going to bother since it will most likely change the output.

Comment

Would there be a difference between acrylic and bicarbonite
                *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Surely you mean polycarbonate

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

Nah, he must be talking about soda glass. (bad science joke)
                    2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                    1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

I'm just glad you made the joke and not me

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

No, obviously I'm talking about what they froze Han Solo in.

But ya, this forum changes a lot of what I type into different words when I use my phone. Sometimes I'm just too tired to go back and edit what was changed.
                        *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X