Cheap halogen projector for high side of quad setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap halogen projector for high side of quad setup

Does anyone have any suggestions for a inexpensive halogen projector for the high side of my quad set up.
    Stock configuration is H4/9003 dual filament bulb in one large reflector, was originally thinking of replacing with some RX350s or TLs, but might be able to get some RX330s cheap, which has me leaning towards a possible quad set up (my buckets are pretty large).
    Originally I was thinking some Mini H1s but I'm not sure I want to deal with 2x the ballasts, etc (especially since a HID fog retrofit will be on the cards later).
    High beam performance isn't important (a large percentage of my night driving is against on coming traffic, in town or on busy roads), I just need to actually have a high beam function for inspection purposes.
    Oh also as small as possible would be great.

There should be an e55 version made for halogen H7 iirc. They should be reasonably priced, and probably smaller than the LS 460's high beam halogen projector.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Thank you I will check those out, how to they compare size wise to the Mini H1? I had contacted TRS to see if they had some Mini H1s with bad solenoids that they would let go cheap.

Comment

They are lot larger than the Mini H1s.

If you've seen the EvoX-R in person, they're about the same size. If not - they are big and bulky.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

What about hiding some LED spots in the grille to make it look clean?
          AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

We have some here :: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ner-Components

They are medium sized - but they can be trimmed down on the sides a bit. Make offers - they are taking up shelf space and too nice to just junk.

Comment

Originally posted by mdufficy View Post
              What about hiding some LED spots in the grille to make it look clean?
              Not sure if the inspection station would go for that, I already have to tell them every time that the singular rear fog light is by design and not an actual brake light that is out, convincing them that a grill mounted high beam is acceptable might not fly.

Originally posted by BlackFlameCustoms View Post
              We have some here :: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ner-Components

They are medium sized - but they can be trimmed down on the sides a bit. Make offers - they are taking up shelf space and too nice to just junk.
              I will take a look, I assume they are the last set of projectors pictured? Any idea on the length?

Comment

^
                I forgot about some of those OEM H11 halogen projectors as well.

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
                They are lot larger than the Mini H1s.
                Indeed. The Mini is called that for a reason.

Comment

How about just throwing some halogen H1 bulbs in the Minis? If performance does not matter, that would be your best bet.
                  Last edited by Wicked SC; February 16th, 2015, 10:57 PM.
                  [ 1999 Honda Prelude SH ] [ Hybrid TL projectors with OEM ZKW lenses] [ Adjustable OEM Ballasts ] [ Bi-halogen projectors with HIR bulbs]

Comment

That is my fall back plan, was just wondering if there was a cheaper option, the more I save on the high beams the more I can put towards bulbs or low beams.

Comment

I have a pair of OEM ford projectors (direct swap with EVOX-R) that I could provide for free (you pay S&H)

They are Hella, H7 or H11 (I forget bulb size)
                      2017 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost

Comment

If they are Hella projectors, they most likely take H7 bulbs.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

So looks like I am back to the drawing board, I think the halogen projectors I picked up are a little too big, plus the lens holder and bowl appear to be stamped together so I'm not sure I can separate the two to get at the shield and still be able to put them back together.
                          Here is a few pics of what I am working with space wise.

I see some LS460 high beam projectors in the closeout, but it appears the bulbs insert from the top or the side (the side I can work with, top wont work, anyone know the correct orientation of these and a rough size). I also see some Halogen RX350 projectors, would these be about the same size has their HID counterpart? My fall back plan is still some mini H1s, pull the solenoid and shield and stick some H1 halogen bulbs in them, but if I can use something different for less then I'm good with that.

Lastly, if I take a low beam (or BX) projector and remove the shield to make it a high beam projector, should I mount it upside down? I'm assuming (at least with a low beam projector) that the bowl is designed to focus a very high percentage of the light below the cut off, so even after I remove the cut off there wont be a huge amount of light above it.

OK so I guess the LS460 is out its bigger than what I have already.
                          Last edited by jakejm79; May 8th, 2015, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejm79 View Post
                            I see some LS460 high beam projectors in the closeout, but it appears the bulbs insert from the top or the side (the side I can work with, top wont work, anyone know the correct orientation of these and a rough size).
                            I believe they mount from the side.

Comment

Working...
                            X