Another matt ssv "quick question"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another matt ssv "quick question"

Guys I have a weird thing going on with one of my projectors. When I'm close to the wall where I setup my aiming (in my garage). Around twenty feet from the wall my passenger side step is about three millimeters smaller than the drivers side. THEN when I move back to thirty or forty feet it grows bigger than than the drivers side?.

so it starts a little bit smaller then ends up bigger??. Of course it amplifies even more at further distances. It grinds my gears to no end and before I go out tomorrow and start to play with it has anyone got any ideas why this would happen?

i don't have pics now but if no one understands what I mean I'll go out and take some.

Thanks guys!!
    Originally Posted by Bitter
    Is this like the time I took nyquil and had a dream about your hot redhead sister in a diaper because my subconscious was telling me to wake up before I pissed myself?

Here's a picture from about seven metres or twenty feet?
    Attached Files
    Is this like the time I took nyquil and had a dream about your hot redhead sister in a diaper because my subconscious was telling me to wake up before I pissed myself?

Comment

Then just rolled back to thirty or so feet and the top cutoffs line up?. I've got the passenger side aimed lower (left side for us Aussies) to compensate
      Attached Files

Comment

The pictures also show the colour I'm trying to reduce on the same left light

Comment

Originally posted by Matt ssv View Post
          so it starts a little bit smaller then ends up bigger??.
          The height of the step on the actual passenger-side shield may be slightly shorter than the step on the driver-side shield. During assembly/tuning, they may have mapped it to a certain wall distance to check. To make it equal at that wall distance (most likely somewhere between your two tests of "close to the wall" and 20ft away), the passenger-side shield had to be closer to the second focal point of the bowl.

If this was the case, then it may also affect the difference in colorband width & intensity between the two sides.
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Hmmm very interesting satrya, I should have mentioned also that they are in fact shields I made.

I'll play with them in about five mins after I wake up lol

Comment

Satrya, if you were going to try fix this problem what would you do? Is there a process of elimination?

Comment

I generally stay away from making custom shields (other than foreground limiter), because the size and precise shape of the step is quite difficult to consistently replicate with my household tools.

But if I were in the situation of needing 2 shields to match, I would use a magnifying glass to eyeball how identical the cutoff height and position of a pair of shields relative to their mounting holes. Perhaps I would bolt them together with a screw that isn't too small (to minimize alignment issues later), and file the edges of the cutoff at the same time. I might construct a fixture such that the shields always contact the metal file at the same fixed angle (say 90 degrees) so it files off both shields equally.

Is this a TL projector?
                Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

When I make custom shield I take two pieces of aluminum and use very thin double sided tape to hold them together. Afterwards I cut out the step and any other filing that is necessary. This insures that both shields are identical. I only pull them apart after everything is done and are ready to be mounted onto the projectors.
                  Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

Thanks for the info satrya!. I have the issue with it all being finished and really only want to access the shield via the bulb opening, which is possible but time consuming if I need to do any filing (which I have found my girlfriends nail file is great for the job).

would you make the smaller step a bit bigger? Because I'm not sure if I should do that cause I still don't fully understand why it's starting smaller then grows bigger than the drivers side.

these are the sc/rx hybrids that I made following jvx's

Comment

Sometimes the shields are not 100% straight and equal. Therefore at shorter distances the cutoff tops may misalign, but as you get further away, you will notice them line up.

Comment

Yeah that is some of my problem for sure, I also have the problem of one step being 45mm high and the drivers side being 48mm high at about twenty feet, but then when I roll back the 45mm one grows bigger than the 48mm one.

if I can get it to stop "zooming" in larger than I'm happy as and will call it a day

Comment

That's a bit weird.

Comment

I know lol. It just grinds my gears from long distances it looks like I don't have them aimed correctly.

Comment

Also keep in mind the flair of color flicker is not even along the cutoff. It can get very high in the center at distances but not as high along the edges, even though the shields may be perfectly aligned

Comment

Working...
                              X