Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best projector lens for this headlight housing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best projector lens for this headlight housing?

Hey everyone. I recently bought this headlight housing for my Ford Falcon BA XR6 Turbo (Australian here)
    BABF-XR-LH-B.jpg

$(KGrHqFHJ!8E9!82sfnMBPccFKhp,!~~60_35.JPG

The low beams currently have a projector lens, and I have fitted a 6000k bulb with Hylux ballast to it. Both bulbs run H1 globes in them, so H1 for low, H1 for high in the reflector housing.

The original wiring on the car had H4's for the low beam and H1 for the high beam. I ended up making up a relay harness with relays and a signal diode so that the lows stayed on when I flicked to high.

Now the situation I'm in is that the projector lenses for the headlamps do have a cutoff, but are mainly designed for halogens, as the spread of light isn't as uniform and well directed as half the proper HID projector lens output shots show.

I was considering putting in a set of Morimoto H1 Mini 6.0 in the low beams as it seems fairly straight forward. The other lens I've considered is the FX-R 3.0 which reads up as a bit more work, but probably a better light beam.

The original low beams in the OEM housings had a solenoid in them I'm pretty sure, so the H1 Morimoto's also have a solenoid, which would be ideal for when highs are on.

Would it be wise to put another sort of projector on the inner reflector housing you see in the photo for the high beams? Or just put a set of 55w halogen globes in there. As I know the startup times for HID's take a while, and in order to flash or have high beams straight away, the halogen may be a better option.

It's a RHD car, and I drive a lot of country roads where kangaroo's like to stay on the edges.. but having a beam that shines reasonably far and also wide enough to see the edges of the road would be ideal.

I just wanted some input on what people have done in similar circumstances for the high beam.. as its in a reflector and maybe I should just stick with a halogen.

I'm also going to go back to 4300K bulb or 5000k bulb as the 6000k is too blue and won't be too useful in rainy conditions.

I hope this all makes sense.. typing this up at work, so may edit it when on lunch break :P
    Last edited by Roddy001; September 29th, 2014, 09:56 PM.

The MH1 would probably be the easiest to install, unless the bolt pattern is completely different than Spyder/SpecD housings, then in which case you might as well 'upgrade' from the MH1 to the FXR or even explore your OEM options.

You say you drive on country roads often and having that extra width is very very helpful. I am on a similar situation and I can't tell you the number of times I've been able to spot American kangaroos (deer lol) and other small wildlife ahead of time to prepare for braking.

If you flash to pass, then having an HID setup in the high-beam spot will not be ideal unless you want to run with your headlights on all the time. If you don't flash to pass, don't use high beams during the day AND only use them at night instead then the warm up time of HID's won't be that much of an issue. However, if flash to pass is a MUST for you then consider HIR bulbs. Someone else will have to chime in with the wiring because if you use a bi-xenon projector then you will likely need some high-beam splitters to actuate the solenoid thus your high beam and solenoid will be tied together.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

+1 on HIR bulbs or at least halogen H1 for the high beam reflectors. As for the low beam projectors, does it look like this? (the one on the left)

As you can see, it is quite larger than a previous generation Mini D2S (this is a 2.0, TRS' current version, 3.0, is a bit larger than the 2.0). It should be possible to fit many reasonably sized projectors.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

If the original low beam projector was for a halogen bulb, then swapping in the FX-R lens won't really fix the output. The problem is the bowl would have been designed around the shape and position of an H1 halogen's filament, not the arc capsule in your HID bulbs. No matter what lens you put on the front, the light isn't being directed to it correctly with that bowl. To get a cleaner throw on low beam I'd definitely suggest retrofitting an HID projector assembly in there.

I'd stick with a halogen (better yet HIR) on the high beam if you plan to keep the reflector bowl.
        1993 Vigor retrofit status: As Victor Frankenstein would say: "It's ALIVE!"

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Ileopard - The MH1 does look very appealing.. however I'm pretty good at modding things and have patience and all the right tools to make sure the job is done correctly. I'll have to look into these HIR bulbs and see what will fit in the h1 housing

satrya- The projector does look like that, however its hard to see as the shroud around it at the moment makes it difficult to see the bolt pattern etc. I'm thinking I may have to take the headlights front lens off (will have to read up on how to do that) and measure it up so I dont order the wrong ones. Am I only limited to H1 style projector assemblies? I figure in order to fit it in the housing already, or does the new projector assembly replace all that and I can wire in what I need using adaptors/my own cables I make up?

smilr - I think I may have mistyped what I meant.. I meant projector assemblies.. which would include the bowl. I was in a bit of a rush when typing it all up. I will definitely have to look into these HIR bulbs as a solution for the high beams.. and how they work. Also who actually sells them? Can't see to find any on retrofit source, as they only seem to do normal halogen's in that regard.

Keep the suggestions coming. Its a nice active forum this one.. and I'm always cruising through threads on my lunch break finding more and more answers and info that helps
          Last edited by Roddy001; September 30th, 2014, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddy001 View Post
            The projector does look like that, however its hard to see as the shroud around it at the moment makes it difficult to see the bolt pattern etc. I'm thinking I may have to take the headlights front lens off (will have to read up on how to do that) and measure it up so I dont order the wrong ones.
            The projector in there might as well be different, but as long as the size is about the same as the stock halogen that came in my donor housing (the left one in my post before), there are a lot of reasonably sized projectors that can fit. (exclude TL and LS460 for example)
            If you've tested the H1 low beam output on its H1 halogen bulb (instead of rebased H1 HID), does it look like this (i.e. having some dead spot or ring)? If so, then it's probably the same projector.

Am I only limited to H1 style projector assemblies? I figure in order to fit it in the housing already, or does the new projector assembly replace all that
            It depends. The projector that came with the housing will likely sit on some kind of bracket. In my case, it looked like this:

Where the bracket supports both low and high beams, and provide simultaneous pitch and yaw alignment adjustments for both by fixing their relative position from each other:

The idea is then to find a replacement projector, whose outside dimensions won't interfere with any existing pieces (and add some margin for yaw, pitch, and roll adjustment later; perhaps a few milimeters here and there). Also, the new projector need to mount to the existing bracket, so that you can retain the yaw and pitch adjustability of the original projector. Roll is a bit tricky, but you can probably worry about that later. (I did)

Alternatively, you can fabricate some custom brackets for the new projector to mount directly to the adjuster mechanism. This example uses a Mini D2S 2.0 directly on the adjuster screws and ball-and-socket joint. Note that this takes out the high beam reflector's mount; your headlight housing may have similar setup.

Fwiw, the original halogen projector in my donor housing has a 2.5" lens. If you choose a replacement projector that is a bit larger or has a larger lens (e.g. EvoX-R has a 3" lens), two things will need to happen.

First, making the mounting brackets may be a bit tougher. Second, any original shroud from the donor housing may need to be enlarged.

I have a build thread where I fitted EvoX-R in the original halogen low beam projector; there may be mounting ideas that are relevant to your project:
            http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...l=1#post497350

and I can wire in what I need using adaptors/my own cables I make up?
            If you just need HID low beams and stay with halogen high beams, all that is needed is a simple low beam only harness that uses the oem low beam connector as the signal input, the battery as the real power source, and where the output of the harness goes to the ballast that powers the low beams. The high beam halogen can then use whatever cable provided by the headlight.

Later on, you can use both halogen high beams and the solenoid to get both halogen + HID high beams (but still only HID low beams). This will need a different harness made for biXenon, probably compatible with your oem wiring system. I see you stated that the oem low beams are H4. I thought H4 is a dual filament (i.e. both low and high beam in one halogen bulb).

Comment

Hey Roddy001, I have same car dude and same headlights as yours haha, I am thinking of swapping stock projectors with FXR 3.0's, I don't know how hard it will be but I want to give a try anyways if it doesn't work I'll chuck them into my stock reflector headlights will be much easier to mount into reflector ones but will look much better in those aftermarket ones, let me know how you go, I'll be starting my project in few weeks.

@Satrya, I've had these headlights only for day but to me it doesn't look like if they have any dead spot, I just posted some pictures on my thread "Need some advice" of output, also cut off on these is not straight line for some reasong they climb up from left side.

Comment

Originally posted by waris93 View Post
                @Satrya, I've had these headlights only for day but to me it doesn't look like if they have any dead spot, I just posted some pictures on my thread "Need some advice" of output, also cut off on these is not straight line for some reasong they climb up from left side.
                Just saw it (link). I'll respond there.

Comment

Working...
                X