min. lumen for fogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• min. lumen for fogs

what would you guys think is the lowest lumen count for fogs lights that would still be useable?

Looking into premade led modules to retrofit, found a couple. One that is almost ideal is only 600 lumen however.

X5's and XB led fogs wolnt work however for my application. So no need to mention them.

2000 Mustang Gt-SOLD RX350's Osram, Morimoto 5five ballast
    2006 GSXR-G37 Projector,XbaLed halos,Morimoto 3five,Morimoto 4300k
    2000 Ford Expedition-FX-R1.0s,Morimoto4300k,Morimoto 3five

Doesn't that also depend on how wide and how far you plan the foglights to cover?
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

^^^ was gonna say, are you looking for a usable foglight ( as in actual inclement weather)? or a driving/aux light thats in the foglight location?
      Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

i don't believe there is a minimum lumen requirement for fog lights.. i believe the foglight requirements are generally pretty lax overall...
        The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
          Doesn't that also depend on how wide and how far you plan the foglights to cover?
          essentialy just for looks, but id rather have some what bright and narrow vs wide and dim.
          Originally posted by michael.kozera View Post
          ^^^ was gonna say, are you looking for a usable foglight ( as in actual inclement weather)? or a driving/aux light thats in the foglight location?
          Naw, fog lights arent really needed here, just trying to complete the "look"
          Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          i don't believe there is a minimum lumen requirement for fog lights.. i believe the foglight requirements are generally pretty lax overall...
          right, but seeing as how the XBs are rated at "around 1200" 600 just seems so dismal.

Comment

well if they are just for looks, then anything will work

otherwise, I'd think that halogen output lumens would be the minimum

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
              well if they are just for looks, then anything will work

otherwise, I'd think that halogen output lumens would be the minimum
              I dont want a candle for output lol. Per Autozone.com an 899 halogen is 754lumen. back to the drawing board.

Comment

halogens are usually around 1600-1900 lumen

Comment

The fog light requirements in the US aren't really strict so it's pretty fair game. If anything, the restrictions lay in the realm of the bulb used, not the fog fixture the bulb is in.

Comment

Originally posted by MilosB View Post
                    halogens are usually around 1600-1900 lumen
                    headlights are that, foglights halogen bulbs are usually 30-40w so more like 1000lm

Originally posted by apkarian100 View Post
                    The fog light requirements in the US aren't really strict so it's pretty fair game. If anything, the restrictions lay in the realm of the bulb used, not the fog fixture the bulb is in.
                    US/CA foglights are more like AUX lights really. very few cars have " real" foglights.
                    Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

My fogs are H3 55W/12V... and filled with water.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

I rarely get fog, but when I do, I turn off my main headlights and run my side markers and fogs only and have MUCH better visibility that way. Doing it that way, the fogs have to be bright enough to light up everything that a headlight would.

Comment

h8 fogs on some European cars are 805 lumen. that being said, their beam pattern is less about foreground and more lighting up the side of the road

Comment

Working...
                          X