Questions about the Acura TL projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the Acura TL projector

After many hours of trawling through whatever posts I could find on the subject, I've found that the original Fresnel lenses that come stock with the TL's don't affect output noticeably. Or do they? You guys have been all over the map. Anywhere from "doesn't affect output at all" to "ZKW/ZKW-R's are at least 30% brighter".

I've just bought a set of TL projectors with the stock lenses and I'd like to get my facts straight before I pay another $40 for a set of lenses that won't actually increase my output noticeably. If it's not really that noticeable then it's not worth it to me. Same goes for the solenoid conversion kit TRS sells, if it doesn't do anything but delete the big solenoid then it's not worth the money/trouble it would be to properly adjust everything.

Just an FYI, my priorities are a little different from HIDplanets' typical user.

1. Output
    2. High beam performance
    3. Uniformity
    4. Width

Cutoff sharpness and color mean exactly nothing to me unless they are an indicator of the above 4 things listed. I am really just here to be able to see better at night, sorry guys.

the solenoid doesn't do anything than you have said, and you have to adjust it a bit.

regarding the lens, the fresnel gives more uniform light and soft cutoff which is the aim if you ride a loot in dark and on lowbeam.

Comment

Clear lens will improve the output of ANY projector.

Originally posted by braik View Post
      Just an FYI, my priorities are a little different from HIDplanets' typical user.

1. Output
      2. High beam performance
      3. Uniformity
      4. Width
      Not really. If you've come to that conclusion by your extensive reading, then you haven't read enough or properly. Those are the main points of retrofitting and the why we do it but seldom mention them because the inherent performance of a quality projector give us just that.

Cutoff sharpness and color mean exactly nothing to me unless they are an indicator of the above 4 things listed. I am really just here to be able to see better at night, sorry guys.
      Cutoff sharpness or color band while mainly for show, you will predominantly have more of one or the other but not both. Cutoff sharpness reduces the color band. Color band means a less focused beam and therefore a less sharp cutoff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

I have a photo for you, but can't post it till I get to a computer. Hopefully sometime today I'll post it for you, but I do wish I would have stayed with the stock lens
        Originally posted by nine44
        350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

the stock lens will provide a more uniform output across the beam pattern. the clear lens will produce a sharper cutoff line and more colorful color band, however you may see fluctuations due to imperfections in the bowl/lens. each has their pro's and con's, all depends on what you prefer. as a sharp cutoff nor color wasn't mentioned, i'd stick with the stock lens.
          My Retrofits:
          Classic Mini HID Retrofit #2 (January 2012 ROTM)
          Classic Mini LED Retrofit
          Lance Venice HID Retrofit
          Honda Grom HID Retrofit (May 2014 ROTM)

Comment

Originally posted by MilosB View Post
            regarding the lens, the fresnel gives more uniform light and soft cutoff which is the aim if you ride a loot in dark and on lowbeam.
            Originally posted by Ilikecars View Post
            ..but I do wish I would have stayed with the stock lens
            Originally posted by pwr2wh8 View Post
            ..as a sharp cutoff nor color wasn't mentioned, i'd stick with the stock lens.
            I agree. I would go with non-clear lens if I could.
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Here is a good source for different pictures of lenses and different projectors http://www.jvxdriver.com/TL%20Lens%2...s.%20ZKW-R.htm That page is specifically different lenses on the TL just to give you a visual of what you may like better. Thanks JVX again for the great pics!

* For any inquiries please e-mail Support@TheRetrofitSource.com, PM's = not a good way to reach me*

Comment

A stock TL is great out of box w/ no modding needed = great width soft cutoff huge solenoid
                Stock w/ zkw-r +2-3 spacers(for me) = same great width sharp cutoff w/ thin blue line across hug solenoid ( remove rubber grommet inside for thicker blue colorband)
                TL-r conversion Kit + ZKW-r = Sharp cutoff same width thin blue colorband no bulky solenoid. same tall high beam

for space I love the TL-r kit but if got space keep it stock swap the lens.

All can be bought at TRS!

Comment

Originally posted by TRSCharlie View Post
                  Here is a good source for different pictures of lenses and different projectors http://www.jvxdriver.com/TL%20Lens%2...s.%20ZKW-R.htm That page is specifically different lenses on the TL just to give you a visual of what you may like better. Thanks JVX again for the great pics!
                  Yes I've went over those same pictures and others dozens of times and came to the conclusion that they're practically the same as far as output goes. But in the threads I've read there are some people that are just ADAMANT the clear lens outputs noticeably more light.

Originally posted by 901kingj View Post
                  A stock TL is great out of box w/ no modding needed = great width soft cutoff huge solenoid
                  Stock w/ zkw-r +2-3 spacers(for me) = same great width sharp cutoff w/ thin blue line across hug solenoid ( remove rubber grommet inside for thicker blue colorband)
                  TL-r conversion Kit + ZKW-r = Sharp cutoff same width thin blue colorband no bulky solenoid. same tall high beam

for space I love the TL-r kit but if got space keep it stock swap the lens.

All can be bought at TRS!
                  I really want to keep it stock, but the solenoid is just so big! And finding/making a shroud is turning out to be a PITA. I've got a Tacoma so the reflector bowl is pretty big but... I dunno. I'll just have to lose a few more hours sleep over it and then decide I guess.

Stock
                  Pros:
                  Save $65
                  No fiddling for proper spacing
                  All OEM parts
                  Sloped Shield

Cons:
                  Possibly have to spend $$ to vacuum form a custom shroud
                  Shroud may look like shit
                  Have to cut more of the bowl
                  Solenoid may give out sooner
                  Have to extend solenoid wires

Conversion Kit
                  Pros:
                  Less cutting
                  Can use a nice looking shroud
                  Easier to mount
                  Don't have to splice solenoid wires

Cons:
                  $65
                  Mess with spacing
                  Last edited by braik; July 10th, 2014, 07:24 PM.

Comment

clear lenses are over rated and a complete waste. All it is is for color and sharpness, but don't we do retros for output? Look how much brighter the stock lens is

20130821_203614_zps0cd73380 by malachilikescars, on Flickr
                    350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

clear lenses are over rated and a complete waste. All it is is for color and sharpness, but don't we do retros for output? Look how much brighter the stock lens is

20130821_203614_zps0cd73380 by malachilikescars, on Flickr
                      ^That is not a fair comparison at all. First of all those are two different projectors, with 2 different bulbs, with two different ballast. There are WAY too many variables in those differences that could account for the top one being duller than the bottom apart from one having a clear lens and the other having a fresnel. It is not possible for a clear lens to decrease your output unless it is defective or not the right lens altogether.
                      Last edited by ImagioX1; July 10th, 2014, 09:25 PM.
                      Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

That's two TL one with clear lens and one untouched. With same brand new Philips bulbs on the same 3five ballast (different sides obviously) I disconnect the bulb in my car with minis, plugged up the d2s adapters and bam. The one with a clear lens is messed with paper spacers, no color cause I'm kinda close to the garage
                        350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

That's two TL one with clear lens and one untouched. With same brand new Philips bulbs on the same 3five ballast (different sides obviously) I disconnect the bulb in my car with minis, plugged up the d2s adapters and bam. The one with a clear lens is messed with paper spacers, no color cause I'm kinda close to the garage
                          Im just saying that one bulb could very well be duller than the other or one bowl could be less chrome than the other or one ballast could be putting out less power than the other. The only way to accurately show the difference between a clear lens and a fresnel is to use the same projector, same bulb, and the same ballast. There is NO other way to get fair results.
                          Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

Honestly I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the Fresnel lenses. I'm also reasonably sure the majority of people that are saying clear = brighter are looking at those pictures and seeing the more defined parts of the beam, which are brighter. But just because spots of the beam are brighter, doesn't mean it's brighter as a whole.

Now I've just got to decide whether to spring for the solenoid conversion kit or not. I'm leaning towards "yes" as of now.

Comment

I would just say rx350 at that point haha
                              AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Working...
                              X