Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and Cons of Quad Bi Xenon

Pros and Cons of Quad Bi Xenon

Hi there im new to this forum but not new to automotive stuff i do everything myself

my car is a 90 IrocZ with LS1/4l60e swap with long list of go fast goodies

for lighting i got 4 "4x6" , 2 are for lows and 2 for highs i also have fog light setup from factory

im planning to do pair of Bi Xenon but dont know what to do with the highs so was thinking of quad bi xenon instead of making DRL with regualr Halgon bulbs in a projector housing so that they match look wise

and info and personal experiance and throw any good ideas out

I'll get the basics out of the way:

Pros:
    Insane light in both high and low beams

Cons:
    A heck of a lot of wiring from two harnesses
    Flash to pass lost (due to warm-up time from ballasts)

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

Pros:
      - It's bright
      - You can mix projectors that have different strengths such as the LS430 with it's superior lowbeam, and the E55, TL, RX projectors with their great highbeams.

Cons:
      - Costly
      - Can be too bright.
      Originally posted by Bitter
      They're literally flying canoes with boxer engines packed full of Molotov cocktails that rely on tampons and $10 screws to stay in the air and not kill you.

Comment

I have fx-r's in my headlight and mini h1's in my fogs.. I love it. A good low beam, with a crazy high beam. I personally see no cons, besides cost.
        I ride

2010 Ducati Streetfighter S

Comment

From my understanding is that atleast from the projector that I plan to use utilizes a shutter/light cutoff which just allows more light for high

the high and low so technically speaking once warmed up shouldn't have no issues as its not the light bulb it itself that creates the high and low and it stays constantly on same brightness

Wiring I'm not worried about after re wiring my entire engine swap and harness everything else is kids play lol seems like I just need a splitter so both lights can stay on high and low at same time , and I don't believe there's much wiring needed

And regarding to bright as long there aligned correctly how can being to bright be a con ? That's my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by zach07j View Post
            From my understanding is that atleast from the projector that I plan to use utilizes a shutter/light cutoff which just allows more light for high

the high and low so technically speaking once warmed up shouldn't have no issues as its not the light bulb it itself that creates the high and low and it stays constantly on same brightness

Wiring I'm not worried about after re wiring my entire engine swap and harness everything else is kids play lol seems like I just need a splitter so both lights can stay on high and low at same time , and I don't believe there's much wiring needed

And regarding to bright as long there aligned correctly how can being to bright be a con ? That's my opinion
            Because having too much foreground light impairs your long-distance vision.

Imagine looking at a light source for more than a minute, then look away. The light will still be imprinted on your retina. That's the hazardous part - especially when driving.

Comment

If you are good at modding projectors you could mod two of the projectors to have an aggressive foreground limiter. That way you increase the distance lighting without increasing your foreground.
              Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

Makes sense , and totally get that part

That's what is was thinking you explained alot better than me seen couple people trim there foreground limiter etc

Been searching for a good thread on that part buy no success

Comment

there always the option to just keep the other high beam as halogen to supplement the bixenon high... then you low beam is a lil more normal but you highbeam would be brighter..
                  or you can even wire it up o you dont have to have a set on on... flip a switch to turn the quads on when you need extra light...

i dont know where you live but if you live where you get snow to much light can be really bad especially blowing snow.. the more light you get the more reflected back at you reducing night vision..even rain can do that a bit too..

'83 Mustang GT, '98 F150 XLT
                  Have A Bear Of A Day

Comment

Those are my other options as well

I'm leaning towards having a separate switch for them
                    I'm stationed in southern California , perfect weather

Comment

Yeah would be better that way... IMO four an all the time can be just to much.. And best of luck on your project... 4x6 sealed beams don't give you much room.. I know cause I'm trying to figure out how to cram an FX-R in mine and that's gonna sure be a challenge... I got a mustang with the same setup as you...

'83 Mustang GT, '98 F150 XLT
                      Have A Bear Of A Day

Comment

Originally posted by zach07j View Post
                        I'm leaning towards having a separate switch for them
                        +1

I have quads connected to the oem light switch, with a custom 3 way switch wiring. I use the center switch to transition from one pair to another, and each pair have different beam patterns.
                        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I think quads are personally a waste of time and money. If you have a solid projector in your low beam and a higher wattage halogen bulb I don't think quads are necessary
                          AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

My solution for flash-to-pass in an HID-only system: I run my HIDs for DRLs - H1 bulbs are like $14 so I couldn't care less if I burned them out faster.

Cons of quad-xenon: laws prohibiting more the number of forward-facing lights, here in Ontario, the max is 4. Meaning if you have all 4 HIDs running, you can't have the fogs.
                            2013 Jeep JK Wrangler - 4.10, Eaton e-locker. Sealed7, Hella Micro-DE
                            1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D.
                            Mini H1 in 7" housing

Comment

Originally posted by Cavyguy View Post
                              Yeah would be better that way... IMO four an all the time can be just to much.. And best of luck on your project... 4x6 sealed beams don't give you much room.. I know cause I'm trying to figure out how to cram an FX-R in mine and that's gonna sure be a challenge... I got a mustang with the same setup as you...
                              Yea it is more difficult than the newer lights , most people use the mini D2s on our forum buy it know only a handful that completed the retrofit and mini d2s seem to fit perfect there's not much to work with the 4x6 Idk the specs of fxr bit iirc there larger than the mini d2s I could be wrong but my light bucket the mini d2s slid riggt in so no extra mods need to car I know others you need to modify light bucket depending on car

Originally posted by mdufficy View Post
                              I think quads are personally a waste of time and money. If you have a solid projector in your low beam and a higher wattage halogen bulb I don't think quads are necessary
                              True 1 pair is more than enough for street use , I was also looking into converting my fogs into hid also and halogen high still researching best solution for my goals but I do want 4 hid projectors

as what I been researching and was mentioned above is that some people state long distance vision is affected and that using hid fogs and projector instead of quad projectors in driving light location

2 high 2 lows and 2 fogs even when all are on light sucks even compared to newer halogen equipped cars
                              Last edited by zach07j; July 8th, 2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X