Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clear lens

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • clear lens

    What's better oem polished lenses or just after market clear lenses? Is price about the same?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Thegelman View Post
    What's better oem polished lenses or just after market clear lenses? Is price about the same?
    x2? Also, a lot of people seem to be sticking with stock fresnel lens, what's the reason behind that?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mattrox1221 View Post
      x2? Also, a lot of people seem to be sticking with stock fresnel lens, what's the reason behind that?
      Stock fresnel provide a softer cutoff and an easier transition from light to dark, which hurts some people's eyes.
      If you want it done right, do it yourself!

      Comment


      • #4
        I think OEM polished is the way to go if you want clear. The fitment is going to be spot on in the projector. Aftermarket clear lenses are still awesome don't get me wrong. The reason behind staying with stock fresnel is that the cutoff line is softer so the contrast between dark and light isn't so pronounced. Fresnel lens will help with eye fatigue and potentially distance lighting. In most cases your overall brightness suffers though.

        Comment


        • #5
          So whats the going rate for polished oem lenses?

          Comment


          • #6
            I would go oem polished. I think the rate is $50-60 per pair. As far as I know, only paleryder (sp?) polished lenses

            Comment


            • #7
              I would want polished the only thing is it depends on how good the man doing it is I've heard. Sometimes aftermarket clear is a direct swap and sometimes not (rx350). I think thats why some guys use e30 lenses on things. aftermarket clear are easier to get your hands on
              AAAAAAAAAAA

              Comment


              • #8
                The thing is I was thinking about having my muranos EU's done. The lens is polkadot and still has a lot of color

                Comment


                • #9
                  Swapping lenses can be tricky. Even if the optical quality of the replacement lens is up to par, the focal length may not be the same.
                  Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                  3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It all depends on how much it costs for polishing. Shipped from TRS with sti-r is $40 I think. So if you can't get it done for $60. But anymore I would say no
                    AAAAAAAAAAA

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by satrya View Post
                      Swapping lenses can be tricky. Even if the optical quality of the replacement lens is up to par, the focal length may not be the same.

                      Absolutely correct.

                      Minute changes in lens size will change headlight output. And this is assuming the optical qualities of the lens material exactly matches that of the OEM lens.

                      As for polishing OEM lenses to be clear - well, material is removed thereby changing all the optical properties of the lens. And I simply cannot believe that hand polishing a lens is going to maintain the size proportions and chord lengths of the original lens - just not going to happen.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mattrox1221 View Post
                        x2? Also, a lot of people seem to be sticking with stock fresnel lens, what's the reason behind that?
                        - Maintaining headlight beam and focus as the designer intended.
                        - Less fatigue and headaches from a softer cut off

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Markus View Post
                          - Maintaining headlight beam and focus as the designer intended.
                          - Less fatigue and headaches from a softer cut off
                          So what I'm gathering from this thread is that I should stick with fresnel, lol! I was planning on going with oem polished but how can I be assured that the dimensions of the lens stay proportionate? Are the intensity gains worth changing "all the optical properties of the lens"?

                          Markus, what might these changes in optical properties translate to in terms light on the road? Less width, clarity? Please elaborate.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mattrox1221 View Post
                            So what I'm gathering from this thread is that I should stick with fresnel, lol! I was planning on going with oem polished but how can I be assured that the dimensions of the lens stay proportionate? Are the intensity gains worth changing "all the optical properties of the lens"?

                            Markus, what might these changes in optical properties translate to in terms light on the road? Less width, clarity? Please elaborate.
                            It can affect everything. But at the same point it may not. A real way to tell is to do comparisons.
                            AAAAAAAAAAA

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Would be nice to have a comparison between oem polished and aftermarket clear lens

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X