Black spot on HID beam step???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black spot on HID beam step???

Hi guys I am new here and a newbie period with HID's. Can someone tell me whats causing this black spot here in my HID beam steps? Is it my housing or bulb or did I just align it incorrectly? Its a real eye sore while driving. (I just installed new headlight housing) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    download.jpg

What is the setup? Projectors and bulbs?

Originally posted by cthunder
    The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
    Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

Aim at something farther. Beam pattern doesn't look the same at all distances.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

It is a JDM housing from a Prius G with 4300k toshiba bulbs. I was told beam steps would be the opposite from a usdm. I took this pic at angle so I could give you guys a clear view of the problem. When it's aiming down a road it's still visible at a distance but not as sharp. Only way I figured out how to get rid if it was to raise the beams but that would just blind oncoming traffic lol.

Comment

OE housings or aftermarket?

Comment

I don't know what it would be OE or aftermarket for me, but its OE in Japan. I replaced my US housing with them. I ordered them from Japan, used from a Prius G which is only made in Japan. Here's a pic.eze2a2u2.jpg

Comment

if you're in California, it's the wrong step pattern for US anyhow...it's the RHD step, whereas we are LHD. But take pics against a wall or something, 25' back.

Also, it looks to me like the passenger side (right side) rotation is a few degrees too far counter clockwise...

RX350 BiX RETROFIT COMING SOON....

Comment

Originally posted by Amerikaner83 View Post
                if you're in California, it's the wrong step pattern for US anyhow...it's the RHD step, whereas we are LHD. But take pics against a wall or something, 25' back.

Also, it looks to me like the passenger side (right side) rotation is a few degrees too far counter clockwise...
                Yes you are correct about both, it is RHD and I am in California! I will snap a picture tonight, but the thing is I work nights so I won't be able to post it til after 11 pm or so, but just to make sure do you think this is an easy fix?

Comment

That may be really annoying for drivers. But you would have to separate the housings to tell if the shield can be flipped
                  AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Since these are JDM projector housings and you are using them on US roads you you should have a retrofitter fix the beam pattern issue by modifying the cutoff shield. Need to do this asap- for your safety and others.

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Comment

Originally posted by greenkouki View Post
                      Since these are JDM projector housings and you are using them on US roads you you should have a retrofitter fix the beam pattern issue by modifying the cutoff shield. Need to do this asap- for your safety and others.
                      Would you know where I can get this done in california? I am in the central valley, around sacramento, Thanks.

Comment

I don't know what retro fitters are near you, sorry. If you decide you can ship them there are many people who could do it for you, myself included.

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Comment

Not to steal green's thunder but I know joon joon is in California, I just don't know where.

Comment

Besides my projectors being RHD, do you guys think that black spot is from an alignment error? Say I moved the passenger light left more would it fix the issue? Thanks.
                            Last edited by Michael325; April 16th, 2014, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Alignment can make a difference. Bear in mind that as the beam goes out from the headlights, it starts with a relatively small cross section (say in the order of 5-7 inches wide). If you put a wall touching both headlight lenses (not that it would be possible with the bumper cover and all), then all you see are 2 steps with a black spot almost as wide as the distance between both headlights.

As you move the wall further out, say 2 car lengths away, then the "angle" of the beams allow for more coverage, linear width wise, to make that black gap narrower. But when the alignment is off, say the driver side has a yaw angle to the right relative to the ideal straight ahead angle, then this linear distance between the two beams will widen, making the black gap appear larger.
                              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Working...
                              X