Mini 2DS 3.0 vs FX-R 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini 2DS 3.0 vs FX-R 3.0

Hey guys, trying to choose between these two for my aftermarket Opel Astra H headlamps, which use a H1 halogen projector, and it looks to be 2.5" lens size.

These are the lamps on route to me (the chrome version), they haven't arrived yet (!!!!$%#$#) but I want to get in on the TRS group buy before it ends today. My ultimate goal is OEM bulbs. Which would you choose between these two projectors? Mini D2S has a perceived ease of installation, but they only come in 3" round lens which doesn't look like there's room for in the lamps. FX-R come in 2.5" size, but they will be trickier to install. Thoughts?

Saturn Astra XR
    -Complete Vauxhall VXR exterior conversion
    -EvoX-R, reflective red demon eyes, XB35 5500K, FastBright F5, Triton V3 Amber

If you have a drum sander bit, enlarging the hole is easy. That's what I had to do to fit a 3" lens (EvoX-R) in my donor housing:

Between the two, if I had to choose, based solely on output pictures in many threads here, would be the Mini D2S 3.0.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I would rather have rx330 non afs with OEM bulbs if it were me
      AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Mini D2S would be best for fitment as the FX-R body is bulky and may not work with those lights. Really examine the internal workings and components on those lights - they are often disappointing in quality and can become un-reliable. Here are output comparison shots incase you haven't seen them :: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...R-output-shots

Comment

Good point about the FXr size. I went for the mini 2DS, e46 shrouds, and Phillips bulbs. Saved a bunch with the group buy!
          Saturn Astra XR

Comment

Could probably use a retro-quik kit on there... like BFC says, open up the headlights and see what's up inside first

Comment

Originally posted by BlackFlameCustoms View Post
              Mini D2S would be best for fitment as the FX-R body is bulky and may not work with those lights. Really examine the internal workings and components on those lights - they are often disappointing in quality and can become un-reliable. Here are output comparison shots incase you haven't seen them :: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...R-output-shots
              Yeah those lights are honestly probably shit
              AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I'll see once I have them apart. They were by far the cheapest donor lights I could find, even with shipping from Germany. They're used, which is fine for me since I intend on replacing everything inside; I made a thread in the LED section about upgrading the cheesy stocks to superfluxes. Once I have them painted the won't look anything like either of the two up there. I definitely did not want to use my stock lights, and finding oem donors was absolutely out of budget.

Saturn Astras come with 3" hella bi-halogen projectors. The Opel/Vauxhall variants came with reflector lamps standard, with options for bi-xenon and bi-xenon AFL (auto levelling) lamps. I think they just took those non-AFL lamps and replaced the xenon projectors with halogen for the Saturns. Even a used set of the standard reflector units was more than the ones I bought.
                Saturn Astra XR

Comment

Working...
                X