2014 silverado DRL's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 silverado DRL's

I did some searching and I cannot seem to find a lot of info on 2014 trucks. I recently installed 5000k morimoto HID bulbs in my truck. The DRL's do not make enough output to fire the blast properly which causes the HID's to act like a strobe. I cannot figure out how to disable the DRL's so i don't have this problem. Anyone know the trick to this yet? I might have seen that my truck might require a different ballast other than a 35 watt?

Look under the hood, and find the fuse labeled "DRL", there is also a DRL relay, pull either of those and goodbye Daytime Running Lights. The automatic light function (that turns the lights on at night) still functions 100%, you just won't have the low beams being feed 9V when the truck is in gear. I did the same thing with my Chevrolet after I got HIDs.
    Morimoto H1 5.0
    XenonDepot Volt Ballasts
    Morimoto 35W 5000K Bulbs
    Morimoto Relay Harness
    All Exterior Lights (besides Low beams and High beams) Converted to LEDs via V-LEDs

Comment

I thought the 2014 silverados DRLs where the LEDs?

Comment

Originally posted by TDavis View Post
        I thought the 2014 silverados DRLs where the LEDs?
        Nope. Just configured a '14 Silverado LTZ Z71 and the specs don't show LED headlights as an option, yet alone HID's. Would be cool to get LED's standard though like the Corolla. Wonder how the light pattern is on the '14 Corolla.. Hmm..

Comment

Only the GMC Serria has the LED DRL option, the Silverado still uses the halogen low beams as DRL like my car did.
          Morimoto H1 5.0
          XenonDepot Volt Ballasts
          Morimoto 35W 5000K Bulbs
          Morimoto Relay Harness
          All Exterior Lights (besides Low beams and High beams) Converted to LEDs via V-LEDs

Comment

Sometimes on Chevys if you pull that you get a light on the dash. On my chevy malibu I had to ground a wire out on the bcm to make it think the DRLs were on but in reality they werent
            AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

You almost need a wiring diagram to do it
              AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

What year Malibu do you have? I have a 2010 and I just pulled the fuse, no warning lights or anything.
                Morimoto H1 5.0
                XenonDepot Volt Ballasts
                Morimoto 35W 5000K Bulbs
                Morimoto Relay Harness

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Hmm.... I guess they changed it for the newer ones maybe, I have a 7th Generation Malibu, which is all the same (roughly) from 2008 to 2012, and there is no issues.
                    Morimoto H1 5.0
                    XenonDepot Volt Ballasts
                    Morimoto 35W 5000K Bulbs
                    Morimoto Relay Harness

Comment

Did you install a relay kit with the ballasts?
                      2012 Ford Fusion - halogen awaiting retrofit

Comment

Has anyone confirmed finding a relay under the dash yet?? I couldnt find anything in the manual or under the hood in the fuse box....let me know

Comment

It's either fuse, relay or bcm. And I had to ground a wire from my bcm
                          AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by KingAirPilot View Post
                            Look under the hood, and find the fuse labeled "DRL", there is also a DRL relay, pull either of those and goodbye Daytime Running Lights. The automatic light function (that turns the lights on at night) still functions 100%, you just won't have the low beams being feed 9V when the truck is in gear. I did the same thing with my Chevrolet after I got HIDs.

Ok, I will look again. It used to be as easy as pulling the DRL fuse. Have you pulled a fuse on a 2014 silverado before? Is that what you installed? HID's in? I must be an idiot because I cannot find the fuse under the hood. Wonder if it is called something other than DRL? I have been through the list of fuses 3 times

Comment

Originally posted by Viper238 View Post
                              Did you install a relay kit with the ballasts?
                              Sure did. Morimoto 3 five s I believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X