Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad does a chip in the lens mess with light output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad does a chip in the lens mess with light output?

Hey guys this is my first time doing a proper retrofit and I have a quick question. I purchased a set of the value FX-R (3") projectors a few days ago and finally have them in my hands. So far the only defects I've found are each lens has a small chip on the edge. On one the chip is at about 7 o' clock and the other at about 12 o' clock. I can live with the physical blemish as I'm on a budget but will these mess with the cutoff?

2ph8JJyl.jpg

I won't have a chance to light them up for a bit and I'm pretty excited so I was hoping someone out here could give some advice. Thanks!

Extra Info:
    Not sure if this matters but I will be running these with Phillips 85122+bulbs at 35 watts.

Test them out but I don't think they'll affect anything.

Comment

Those shouldn't affect the output noticeably.

Comment

A chip on the edge will not effect output from what I have seen personally.
        Anthony
        2011 Ford Fiesta SES Hatchback
        2008 Wrangler Unlimited FX-R Retrofit
        2011 Fiesta Retrofit Number 2

Comment

I know this is not directly related to this particular question, but how bad would output be reduced if the headlights themselves have tiny little chips all over, peppered almost? The lenses are clear, no haze or anything, just sand blasted basically. Am I missing out in light output because of this? Or do the chips in the headlight lenses not really effect the output? Thanks for your input!
          Morimoto H1 5.0
          XenonDepot Volt Ballasts
          Morimoto 35W 5000K Bulbs
          Morimoto Relay Harness
          All Exterior Lights (besides Low beams and High beams) Converted to LEDs via V-LEDs

Comment

Originally posted by KingAirPilot View Post
            I know this is not directly related to this particular question, but how bad would output be reduced if the headlights themselves have tiny little chips all over, peppered almost? The lenses are clear, no haze or anything, just sand blasted basically. Am I missing out in light output because of this? Or do the chips in the headlight lenses not really effect the output? Thanks for your input!
            It doesn't affect output nearby very much. But if the low beams have a pencil like hotspot, the distance reach will be reduced. Think of it as mini lenses ahead of the original optics, that scatter the beam in an almost random manner.

Originally posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
            On one the chip is at about 7 o' clock and the other at about 12 o' clock. I can live with the physical blemish as I'm on a budget but will these mess with the cutoff?
            12 o'clock will have no effect. If you put the chip at 6 o'clock, it will most likely divert some of the foreground to the squirrel finder area. That 7 o'clock one looks quite close to 6; so there might be some squirrel finder slightly to the side. (right side when you look along the direction of travel)
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

how bad would output be reduced if the headlights themselves have tiny little chips all over, peppered almost? The lenses are clear, no haze or anything, just sand blasted basically. Am I missing out in light output because of this? Or do the chips in the headlight lenses not really effect the output? Thanks for your input!
              Defects like those tend to reduce the cutoff sharpness and color most noticeably.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys I should (hopefully) be able to test light these tomorrow. I'm glad to know these shouldn't change the light output in any major way.

@Satrya
                If I understand what your saying is the chip near 7 o'clock could potentially cause a small block of light to shoot off somewhere above the cut off?

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                  Defects like those tend to reduce the cutoff sharpness and color most noticeably.
                  I agree. Those weren't on the top of my list in my head, that's why I mention the compromise in distance lighting instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
                    @Satrya
                    If I understand what your saying is the chip near 7 o'clock could potentially cause a small block of light to shoot off somewhere above the cut off?
                    Yes, there was a thread about a version of the Hella e55 that comes from the factory with a nick-like feature at 6 o'clock. In that thread, there was a comparison shot with the nick rotated about, and even a transplant of that lens onto an EvoX-R. I would've liked to have that feature had I known before.

Comment

Darn, hopefully I'm not loosing distance lighting.... This is what the headlights look like. The chips are very small, not even measurable by normal means. But there are a bunch. image.jpgimage.jpgLet me know what y'all think... Thanks
                      Attached Files
                      Morimoto H1 5.0
                      XenonDepot Volt Ballasts
                      Morimoto 35W 5000K Bulbs
                      Morimoto Relay Harness
                      All Exterior Lights (besides Low beams and High beams) Converted to LEDs via V-LEDs

Comment

lol, those lenses are fine. Better than most.

Comment

Darn, hopefully I'm not loosing distance lighting.... This is what the headlights look like. The chips are very small, not even measurable by normal means. But there are a bunch.
                          A dirty headlight lens will do worse things than those specks.

Comment

Okay good, I am very particular about things, everything needs to be perfect.. That type.. So that's why I was concerned. I appreciate y'all's input once again.
                            Morimoto H1 5.0
                            XenonDepot Volt Ballasts
                            Morimoto 35W 5000K Bulbs
                            Morimoto Relay Harness

Comment

Lolol! Those looks almost new man, you need to get a lot more of these called "chips" to mess up the beam pattern....
                              Im sure that if I took a blind test on with the ones you have and some with even more chips (saying to you that ones with more where new) you would say that the new ones got the better light...

Beware of the placebo effect,...

Just messing around a little bit, your lights will be just fine, and I know eberything about beeing a perfectionist!

Comment

Working...
                              X