Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newb needing help. What 7" round housings to go with for retrofit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb needing help. What 7" round housings to go with for retrofit???

I have my stock housings in my jeep currently and the lenses have some scratches and whatnot. So, I would like to replace them with the retrofit. Can you just buy lenses or would I need another pair of housings? Will be on a 2012 wrangler with dome lens 7" round headlight assembly.
    Attached Files

I'm probably better off with the stock housing to keep the domed lens. I would rather the projector be as close to the dome as possible. To help eliminate flaring of the light and to keep my cutoff nice and clean.

Any other options?

Comment

Use the stock housing, it has a lot more room inside compared to a typical H4 conversion housing.

This is important because there is really no room behind our headlight buckets for a projector, so it has to mount as far forward as possible.

BTW terrible color jeep, what were you thinking?
      Last edited by efm-7; January 7th, 2014, 06:59 AM.
      2013 Jeep JK Wrangler - 4.10, Eaton e-locker. Sealed7, Hella Micro-DE
      1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D.
      Mini H1 in 7" housing

Comment

TRS is coming up with a 7" sealed dome housing that can accept some projectors.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by efm-7 View Post
          Use the stock housing, it has a lot more room inside compared to a typical H4 conversion housing.

This is important because there is really no room behind our headlight buckets for a projector, so it has to mount as far forward as possible.

BTW terrible color jeep, what were you thinking?
          I wasn't thinking! That's the thing! Lol.

I know there isn't much room on the backside. Try taking a h13 bixenon out of the factory housing without cutting a knuckle or getting aggravated. Impossible!!

satrya

im going to call them today. I've waited on them to release those for a while and now I'm tired of waiting lol

Comment

^
            I see. Good luck then.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombout800 View Post
              ...im going to call them today. I've waited on them to release those for a while and now I'm tired of waiting lol
              From the pictures, it looked like the back stuck out a mile, but it also looked like their test vehicle was a JK so it must have fit!

I don't mind doing this retrofit over and over again, my '82 mercedes 240d with 7" sealed beams gets all the Jeepy hand-me-downs lol
              1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D.
              Mini H1 in 7" housing

Comment

Haha I am more scared of messing up or not doing it correctly. Can't decide if I want just a dedicated low beam or both high and low. I'm thinking the fx-r with either morimoto xb bulbs or cbis. I really don't want to pay 185 bucks for a set of bulbs that will be ran at 50w and could possibly color shift very soon.

thoughts on both Doing the retrofit and the bulb issue??

Comment

^
                  If traversing an undulating (non-off-road) backroads is enough to be an issue when using low beam projectors with a sharp cutoff, I imagine some of the off-road terrains could benefit from some light above the cutoff. While I see you have a light bar, and possibly other aux light, it probably doesn't hurt to choose a projector with high beam capability.

Comment

I really want a bixenon. So I'm sure I'll choose that route. I spoke with someone at trs and was told that the mini d2s 3.0 is supposed to be on par with the fx-r 3.0 . So I'm curious to see output shots of each. This will also be included in their new turnkey retro, like Efm-7 said. If they will work on price if you already have ballasts and what not I may opt to get those for the 400 buck range with some cbis. Otherwise I'm gonna have to buy amp to d2s connectors, new housings, bulbs, projectors, sealant. And all the time to retro. Should be a decent upgrade to my hid in factory housings.

So we are talking 140, 80, 185, 15, and say 50 bucks for sealant and extras to complete the project. So, 470 bucks not including tax and shipping before any work is completed. I'm sure with cbis in their kit I'm looking at roughly 500 or so. Official pricing is not out, so we shall see!

Comment

Imagine the instant gratification of just dropping it in.. that would be nice!

I've had to go back and fix my retrofit a couple of times a few months in because of ABS plastic sagging, time consuming and annoying.

That being said, where the projector mounts to the stick reflector, it HAS to be something that cannot melt. Depending on the size the the Mini D2S, that might not be a problem, but I needed an extension cavity for the Mini H1s. If I were to do it all again, I would swap the flux wire for gas in my wire feeder and make the whole damn thing out of metal lol. (as well as using a better projector)
                      1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D.
                      Mini H1 in 7" housing

Comment

Yeah I have never hear great things about either mini projector. Which is why I'm worried about it vs the fx-r. But the mini ds2 3.0 is supposed to be great. Still not the amout of output of the fx-r, in terms of overall output im sure.

Comment

Originally posted by efm-7 View Post
                          That being said, where the projector mounts to the stick reflector, it HAS to be something that cannot melt.
                          Alternatively, if the reflector bowl is made of metal, one might do away with having an extension tube that is in thermal contact with the outside of the bowl, and have heatsink fins on the tube. You might need to redirect some airflow that goes through the center grille openings to the fins.

Comment

English please!! Haha

Comment

I was responding to the overheating of plastic housings. If you choose a projector with a metal reflector bowl, even if the donor housing is made of plastic, it may be possible to just JB weld / epoxy the metal reflector bowl onto the plastic housing, as long as you make an extension behind it that is in good contact with the metal reflector bowl, and that the extension is made of metal. For example, you can find some metal pipe and make sure it sticks to the bowl. That way, any heat generated by the bulb that heats up the bowl also heats the metal pipe.

To further help draw the heat away from the plastic housing, you may add some metal fins on the pipe, and make sure some of the air that passes through the grille passes through the fins.

No?

Comment

Working...
                              X