2001 BMW 325Ci E46 Quad Xenon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 BMW 325Ci E46 Quad Xenon

So, The RetroFit Lab referred me to come here to ask for questions, as he/they couldn't help me answer my question, so here goes....

Car: '01 325Ci, aftermarket HIDs. Low beams work completely fine and at full power when the high beam ballasts aren't plugged in. Once you plug in the ballasts for the high beams, the low beams flicker quite a lot and occasionally shut off completely until I turn the lights completely off, wait a second or two, and turn them back on. Only for them to continue flickering and still be at risk for shutting completely off. They flicker at the same times but don't turn off together always, sometimes they do, but it's usually just one or the other. It does flicker in Accessory, but it doesn't seem like it does as badly as it does while driving. (Maybe a few flickers per half mile (While Driving)) Note: If the high beams are engaged, the low beam flicker is seemingly at an all time high.

Low Beams Ballast : O-NEX
    High Beams Ballast : Unknown, no brand name on it. Only what appears to be a part number

Could it be that it's a ballast causing this? Possibly a faulty or bad connection? Hopefully a lighting genius can help me figure this out.

**Also note that the O-NEX ballasts are probably a year or so old (Late Dec. 2012), all of the bulbs are less than 4 months old, along with the High Beam Ballasts**
    Last edited by CJin2552; January 6th, 2014, 04:10 AM.

My Build Thread

2001 BMW 325Ci

OEM BMW Style 71 Double Spoke, Dark Grey Suede Headliner/Shift Boot/E-Brake Boot, Black/White CF Logos,
    Eagle-Eye LED Tail Lights, Shadow Black Front Grilles, Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 Quad Xenon RetroFit 6000K,
    Track Stickers, Clear-Smoked Corner Lights

have you connected your ballast directly to your battery? do that first as this will show you if your harness is ****ed or your ballast.

good luck.
    Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

^
      And if the ballasts still respond consistently like your initial test on the car, repeat the test again with the bulbs swapped (from the one that seem to work better to the other one). Then you can be sure which ballasts and bulbs can be trusted.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by michael.kozera View Post
        have you connected your ballast directly to your battery? do that first as this will show you if your harness is ****ed or your ballast.

good luck.
        I have not tried that, definitely hoping it's not the harness.

My Build Thread

2001 BMW 325Ci

OEM BMW Style 71 Double Spoke, Dark Grey Suede Headliner/Shift Boot/E-Brake Boot, Black/White CF Logos,
        Eagle-Eye LED Tail Lights, Shadow Black Front Grilles, Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 Quad Xenon RetroFit 6000K,

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
          ^
          And if the ballasts still respond consistently like your initial test on the car, repeat the test again with the bulbs swapped (from the one that seem to work better to the other one). Then you can be sure which ballasts and bulbs can be trusted.
          It shouldn't be a problem with the bulbs, because they are all the same bulb temp made by the same manufacturer. It really seems like it would be the ballast or possibly a weak connection between the high beam connector and the ballast connector.

I appreciate the reply.

My Build Thread

2001 BMW 325Ci

Comment

Just because the bulbs are from the same manufacturer and are the same color temp doesn't mean that aren't different. Swapping your bulbs from side to side is a free test. Quality control on aftermarket products is not great. Even a minute difference in the gap between the electrodes will cause a change in resistance making one bulb start different than another.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Dirt View Post
              Just because the bulbs are from the same manufacturer and are the same color temp doesn't mean that aren't different. Swapping your bulbs from side to side is a free test. Quality control on aftermarket products is not great. Even a minute difference in the gap between the electrodes will cause a change in resistance making one bulb start different than another.
              I wasn't saying he was wrong, as I am no genius in the lighting field. I just thought that I'd throw it out there.

I'll be sure to try everything said, I'm pretty sure that it's a flaw in my wiring harness though. The High Beam ballasts don't necessarily "click" into position.

My Build Thread

2001 BMW 325Ci

Comment

I'm just helping support his suggestion in swapping the bulbs. It's simply a process of elimination when dealing with problems. Part of the diagnostic. I have some bulb pairs where 1 bulb causes problems with ballasts. Whether it's the mixture of chemicals inside or the wear of the electrodes. I was able to isolate the issue to 1 of the two.

Comment

Working...
                X