Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob needing some advice for a retro fit in 1999 F350

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Noob needing some advice for a retro fit in 1999 F350

    Hey guys, I've spent the last four hours reading different threads about people doing retro fits on my style truck. Even though I have a 99 F350, I converted the headlights to the 2005-2007 style housing. I know I am probably frowned upon, but I do have a Digital brand 55w HID kit from retro solutions in my halogen lenses. I am now ready to leave the dark side (LOL Literally) and do it the right way. Because I already have an HID kit, I have been looking at the PNP upgrade bi-Xenon kit from this website.

    http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=178


    Would this be a good choice for my needs? How bad is the install? Will this give me great light output? Will it fit in my housing? The Morimoto mini kit just screws into my exsisting H13 bulb socket? I have also read that this doesn't offer as much performance though, is this true?
    What is the difference as far as performance between the acura TL and FX projectors? worth the $65 price jump? Do Angel eyes fit on these?

    Sorry for all the questions. I hope you can help me out and get on the right track.





  • #2
    Your only frowned upon when we meet you on the road and you fry our retinas with a pnp hid in your halogen housings

    I assume your kit has a H13 bulb with AMP connectors? The projector kit you linked takes D2S bulbs so neither your bulbs or ballasts will work without adapters which I read can cause problems.

    I just did my first install on a set of 1996 F350 housings using the Mini H1 and it wasn't bad at all. Yes they just screw in through the existing hole so it's fairly simple for a new guy like you and me. I would guess the Mini H1 would fit in your housings as I Just fit them in the smaller 1996 housings. As far as the Mini D2S projectors I don't know as they are a hair larger diameter and wouldn't fit in my housings. I am sure with a little searching you can find just what will fit or just do some measuring and read the specs listed.

    Here is the Mini H1 in my 1996 housing. With the mini shroud installed there is about 1/64" space on top so no room for anything larger.

    Last edited by Crummy; January 4th, 2014, 04:04 AM.
    1996 F350 - Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 - Denso ballasts - 5000K Morimoto H1 3fives - V3 switchbacks DRL/Turn- V3 tail/turn - 30" led bar - Twin 5" bars.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Crummy View Post
      Your only frowned upon when we meet you on the road and you fry our retinas with a pnp hid in your halogen housings

      I assume your kit has a H13 bulb with AMP connectors? The projector kit you linked takes D2S bulbs so neither your bulbs or ballasts will work without adapters which I read can cause problems.

      I just did my first install on a set of 1996 F350 housings using the Mini H1 and it wasn't bad at all. Yes they just screw in through the existing hole so it's fairly simple for a new guy like you and me. I would guess the Mini H1 would fit in your housings as I Just fit them in the smaller 1996 housings. As far as the Mini D2S projectors I don't know as they are a hair larger diameter and wouldn't fit in my housings. I am sure with a little searching you can find just what will fit or just do some measuring and read the specs listed.

      Here is the Mini H1 in my 1996 housing. With the mini shroud installed there is about 1/64" space on top so no room for anything larger.



      I understand about the different bulb with the kit I selected. The kit I posted a link to, if I'm not mistaken, comes with the projectors and correct bulbs with the standard bulb plugin so I can use my existing 55w ballasts and relay that I am already using. Is this correct? Acura projectors pretty top of the line? What's the difference between them and the screw in mini type performance wise?

      Comment


      • #4
        It does appear that that kit comes with adapters for the bulbs. As far as the projectors you will need to ask someone at a higher pay grade than me, I am also a noob.
        1996 F350 - Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 - Denso ballasts - 5000K Morimoto H1 3fives - V3 switchbacks DRL/Turn- V3 tail/turn - 30" led bar - Twin 5" bars.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Crummy View Post
          It does appear that that kit comes with adapters for the bulbs. As far as the projectors you will need to ask someone at a higher pay grade than me, I am also a noob.

          Thanks for the help. My first post on the forum, and I met another fellow Alaskan! And a powerstroke driver!


          Could someone else give me any recommendations?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by alaskantrucker379 View Post
            Thanks for the help. My first post on the forum, and I met another fellow Alaskan! And a powerstroke driver!
            Trucker 379 Pete? Might be a fellow driver too.
            1996 F350 - Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 - Denso ballasts - 5000K Morimoto H1 3fives - V3 switchbacks DRL/Turn- V3 tail/turn - 30" led bar - Twin 5" bars.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Crummy View Post
              Trucker 379 Pete? Might be a fellow driver too.
              You are a truck driver too? Yeah 379 is for Pete 379, Whats your name and who do you drive for? Either myself or my dad probably knows you.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by alaskantrucker379 View Post
                You are a truck driver too? Yeah 379 is for Pete 379, Whats your name and who do you drive for? Either myself or my dad probably knows you.
                Kevin and I run North out of Fairbanks.

                Not quite sure why none of these guys that know more about this stuff don't chime in and help ya out?? I found THIS THREAD on installing the FX-R Stage III kit into a 2005 housing and thought it might give you a little more information.
                1996 F350 - Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 - Denso ballasts - 5000K Morimoto H1 3fives - V3 switchbacks DRL/Turn- V3 tail/turn - 30" led bar - Twin 5" bars.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by alaskantrucker379 View Post
                  http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=178


                  Would this be a good choice for my needs? How bad is the install? Will this give me great light output? Will it fit in my housing? The Morimoto mini kit just screws into my exsisting H13 bulb socket? I have also read that this doesn't offer as much performance though, is this true?
                  What is the difference as far as performance between the acura TL and FX projectors? worth the $65 price jump? Do Angel eyes fit on these?
                  Among the TL (with ZKW-R clear lens), fxr 3.0, and Mini D2S 2.0;
                  • The TL has the largest outside dimensions in terms of trying to fit it inside a headlight housing. The solenoid for the high beam function hangs below the projector, so it may demand the most cutting. It is relatively more efficient in terms of producing a low beam pattern for a very good distance reach directly ahead, and has good width. I don't recall how good the high beams are.
                  • The fxr is quite compact. The low beams will not likely cover as much distance as the TL, but it is very good. In exchange, the low beams have a relatively wide angle where it remains intense, which is very good for lower speed drives with a lot of turns, or ability to spot things that may dart from one side of the road to another. High beam is so-so.
                  • The Mini D2S 2.0 is about the same size as the fxr, perhaps slightly smaller. It is very similar size wise to the Mini H1 6.0. Both minis have an open design, meaning without a shroud, you can see the bulb from the side and top. There are people that believe this is helpful for preventing heat build up, but I think it's debatable. The Mini D2S 2.0 is not the best for distance low beam, and has a lot of foreground light (meaning the road up to 10ft in front of you is lit brightly). The weaker hotspot for the distance low beam, combined with a bright foreground, makes it harder to spot objects far ahead. The high beam is quite strong. The one advantage of the minis (be it Mini D2S or Mini H1) over other designs, is that the threaded back can make retrofit on an existing halogen reflector a lot easier than other projectors.


                  Here's a thread showing output pics of the fxr and Mini D2S 2.0. It shows an upcoming Mini D2S, but that's not in the scope of your question.
                  http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ght=lightwerkz

                  Disclaimer: I don't own a truck and I don't drive in Alaska. Having said that, if I were to extrapolate my personal use of HID lights, I would go with the fx-r for your scenario. I can't say if it fits without the need to make a lot of trimming (of the headlight housing), but the output should be reasonable. Among TRS' aftermarket offering, I would chose EvoX-R over FX-R, but that's because I do more freeway driving than backroad driving.
                  Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                  3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by satrya View Post
                    Among the TL (with ZKW-R clear lens), fxr 3.0, and Mini D2S 2.0;
                    • The TL has the largest outside dimensions in terms of trying to fit it inside a headlight housing. The solenoid for the high beam function hangs below the projector, so it may demand the most cutting. It is relatively more efficient in terms of producing a low beam pattern for a very good distance reach directly ahead, and has good width. I don't recall how good the high beams are.
                    • The fxr is quite compact. The low beams will not likely cover as much distance as the TL, but it is very good. In exchange, the low beams have a relatively wide angle where it remains intense, which is very good for lower speed drives with a lot of turns, or ability to spot things that may dart from one side of the road to another. High beam is so-so.
                    • The Mini D2S 2.0 is about the same size as the fxr, perhaps slightly smaller. It is very similar size wise to the Mini H1 6.0. Both minis have an open design, meaning without a shroud, you can see the bulb from the side and top. There are people that believe this is helpful for preventing heat build up, but I think it's debatable. The Mini D2S 2.0 is not the best for distance low beam, and has a lot of foreground light (meaning the road up to 10ft in front of you is lit brightly). The weaker hotspot for the distance low beam, combined with a bright foreground, makes it harder to spot objects far ahead. The high beam is quite strong. The one advantage of the minis (be it Mini D2S or Mini H1) over other designs, is that the threaded back can make retrofit on an existing halogen reflector a lot easier than other projectors.


                    Here's a thread showing output pics of the fxr and Mini D2S 2.0. It shows an upcoming Mini D2S, but that's not in the scope of your question.
                    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ght=lightwerkz

                    Disclaimer: I don't own a truck and I don't drive in Alaska. Having said that, if I were to extrapolate my personal use of HID lights, I would go with the fx-r for your scenario. I can't say if it fits without the need to make a lot of trimming (of the headlight housing), but the output should be reasonable. Among TRS' aftermarket offering, I would chose EvoX-R over FX-R, but that's because I do more freeway driving than backroad driving.

                    Thanks for the info.

                    You think that I would get a much better light output and distance going with a projector over my HID's in halogens even in a truck that much off the ground?
                    I am more concerned about low beam visibility and distance since I have other lights on my truck that I flip on when their are no cars coming. With this said, the mini H1 would probably be a better option for me wouldn't it. I am also leaning towards the minis because they don't require any cutting my existing housing. Is this correct? If I ever wanted to, I could unscrew the projector and put in my halogen bulbs again right?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by alaskantrucker379 View Post
                      You think that I would get a much better light output and distance going with a projector over my HID's in halogens even in a truck that much off the ground?
                      Yes, provided that you use a proper projector. What I mean by that is that there are aftermarket headlights that come with poorly designed projectors; those won't do you much good. One convenient context to relate to in this regard, is how some types of dual filament oem halogen reflectors are designed. They use 2 separate filaments, one in the proper focal point of the reflector, and another slightly off. The one that is in the focal point is the low beam. When the high beams are switched on, the other out-of-focus filament lights up, and scatters more light due to the fact that it is not placed in the proper focal point. Even if a PnP HID kit replaces a halogen low beam that has a longitudinal filament (i.e. the filament points to the direction of travel instead of left-to-right), the HID arc looks different enough from a halogen filament. With the higher overall intensity, this means the beam no longer gets pointed to the right direction. It might be ok as a high beam, but not low beam.

                      Originally posted by alaskantrucker379 View Post
                      I am more concerned about low beam visibility and distance since I have other lights on my truck that I flip on when their are no cars coming. With this said, the mini H1 would probably be a better option for me wouldn't it.
                      I want to separate this from your follow-up rationale below.
                      In that regard, I'm sure the TL would be a better choice. TRS also makes another underrated projector, the EvoX-R (e55 based), which is in the same price range as the Mini & FX-R. I personally use them; I think the low beam distance and high beam are quite good. The FX-R has more width, but I don't know whether the low beam distance performance is necessarily inferior to the Mini H1 6.0. I've seen both the e55r and Mini H1 6.0 in person, but not the FX-R.

                      Originally posted by alaskantrucker379 View Post
                      I am also leaning towards the minis because they don't require any cutting my existing housing. Is this correct? If I ever wanted to, I could unscrew the projector and put in my halogen bulbs again right?
                      It depends. The only thing that might prevent this from happening is if the threaded back of the Mini isn't long enough to pass through the halogen bulb passage in the oem reflector assembly. Many people resort to temporarily removing the oem reflector assembly, trimming a bit off the back, and reinstalling the trimmed reflector assembly. Then, the threaded back may be long enough for the nut to hold the projector in place.

                      An alternate, reversible solution is to find a thinner nut, assuming there is enough clearance for the thinner nut. This happened to be the case for an 2010 Oddyssey that I helped retrofit recently. I milled notches on the nut.
                      http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-threaded-back

                      That solution may not work if the bulb passage is too long.
                      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                      3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X