Just started my retrofit and have a few newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started my retrofit and have a few newbie questions

Ok guys. After deciding to tackle the retro myself I have been ordering parts and finally got into it today.

2008 ford mustang with Morimoto d2s mini 2.0 and Panamera shrouds
    got the new aftermarket lights apart easy but soon ran into a few issues that hopefully you guys can clear up.

first the reflector bowl from the headlight, the small black piece that blocks glare from the halogen bulb seems molded in there, and it leaves a small chrome nub. will my projector shroud combo have a problem with the nub protruding?

I know I could sand it down and paint the chrome part but I wanted to leave it chrome to keep as close to OEM look as possible even though I am adding projectors.

second the threaded portion of the morimoto projectors is too large for the bulb opening. Do i just use a dremel or hole saw to open the headlight housing a tad to allow the projector to slide in?

Last question on the morimotos, what is the order of install on all the parts. Like what parts stay on the projector as it slides into the housing and what parts go behind?

sorry about all the newbie questions but I have not seen a step by step on my model vehicle yet and ran into these issues.

I am sure I will have more questions as my build proceeds.

thanks,

Jwood562

Originally posted by jwood562 View Post
    first the reflector bowl from the headlight, the small black piece that blocks glare from the halogen bulb seems molded in there, and it leaves a small chrome nub. will my projector shroud combo have a problem with the nub protruding?

second the threaded portion of the morimoto projectors is too large for the bulb opening. Do i just use a dremel or hole saw to open the headlight housing a tad to allow the projector to slide in?

Last question on the morimotos, what is the order of install on all the parts. Like what parts stay on the projector as it slides into the housing and what parts go behind?
    2nd question: use a hole saw. If you want to make sure it is centered, make a plug from a scrap plastic part that fits the current opening, drill a centering hole on it, and tape the scrap plastic part to the back of the reflector bowl. Then, use the centering hole to keep the hole saw centered.

1st question: once you get the opening on the reflector large enough to fit the threaded back of the Mini, you will know whether the protrusion gets in the way or not.

3rd question: the 2 threaded elements are the essential parts. One of them mounts at the farthest back, and keeps the bulb in place. The other one serves as a nut to tighten the projector in the reflector opening. The metal washer with the 3 tabs outside is for lining up the projector onto a particular halogen bulb (H7; I could be mistake). The white elastomer is in case you install it on some uneven bowl; it spreads the pressure evenly. The c ring and black rubber gasket should be for the back of the bulb.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Having to cut and modify you might as well wait and use a better projector.. The MmH1 isn't great at all.. Go at least fxr.

Comment

Should have waited for the MD2S 3.0! (If it exists lol)

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
        Headlight Setup: MH1 7.0 xb35 5500k bulbs acme ballasts MGG
        Performance: 5.7 Hemi MDS, W5A580 Muffler delete, K&N Intake
        Appearance: SRT8 Challenger Wheels
        Check out my tuning page on Facebook!-------> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rapid...62482277210221

Comment

^^^

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
            ^^^
            Lol I take it you liked my comment?

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
            Headlight Setup: MH1 7.0 xb35 5500k bulbs acme ballasts MGG
            Performance: 5.7 Hemi MDS, W5A580 Muffler delete, K&N Intake
            Appearance: SRT8 Challenger Wheels
            Check out my tuning page on Facebook!-------> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rapid...62482277210221

Comment

The end of your comment yeah

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenVisaCard View Post
                Having to cut and modify you might as well wait and use a better projector.. The MmH1 isn't great at all.. Go at least fxr.
                Not sure how you got mmh1 pop out of no where when op is using md2s?

I guess I would use a sharpy with the ring come with the kit make your mark. Then use the dremel and enlarge the hole from there.

08 Honda Pilot | RX330-AFS + TSX-R, Curve Shield | Osram CBI | Hella Gen 3 | DIY Bosch Relay Harness | X5 LED Fog | SuperFlux DRL

** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post

Comment

Sorry. Shitty habit for shitty projectors.

Same difference

Comment

Op is asking for help not compliment to make him feel dumb or bad. It's still an upgrade from where he came from anyways. By going retrofitting he's on the right track.

08 Honda Pilot | RX330-AFS + TSX-R, Curve Shield | Osram CBI | Hella Gen 3 | DIY Bosch Relay Harness | X5 LED Fog | SuperFlux DRL

** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post

Comment

If you end up needing to grind down the nub that used to hold the halogen bulb shield, then most likely you won't need to paint it, it will be hidden by the projector.

I put some blue painters tape, then duct tape down to protect the original reflector in case I slipped with the dremmel.

Be careful, cause a little part of the duct tape that didn't have the blue tape behind it pulled the chrome right off!
                      First project: 2005 MINI Cooper S with Facelifted Halogen OEM Headlights, retrofitted with Morimoto Mini H1 6.0, Morimoto XB35 4300k bulbs, Morimoto 3Five DSP Ballast, TRS H7 Relay Harness + capacitor.

Future project: 2008 Subaru Impreza

Comment

^no. Don't use any tape on the reflector. It's been known even blue painters tape can peel off the chrome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenVisaCard View Post
                          ^no. Don't use any tape on the reflector. It's been known even blue painters tape can peel off the chrome!!!
                          Good to know. I guess I got lucky -but with so many variances from light to light, I won't suggest even painters tape again.

I appreciate your input BrokenVisaCard.
                          First project: 2005 MINI Cooper S with Facelifted Halogen OEM Headlights, retrofitted with Morimoto Mini H1 6.0, Morimoto XB35 4300k bulbs, Morimoto 3Five DSP Ballast, TRS H7 Relay Harness + capacitor.

Future project: 2008 Subaru Impreza

Comment

No problem.

Comment

Thanks guys for the help. I am hoping it will be a huge upgrade from my h13 halogens.

I am am waiting for my shrouds to see if they will cover that nub. The shrouds measure over 5" across so I am hoping that little nub can be sanded down and be covered by the shroud. The reflector bowl measures 6" across so it might be close.

I hope I can center the drill press enough with a hole saw to open the hole for the projector to slide in

Comment

Working...
                              X