noob questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob questions

just bought a new 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD fully loaded on NYE, can't believe they still don't have an HID option for the '14 model
    anyways, I have already up a little on doing an HID conversion and know that I should stay away from the HID kits commonly found on ebay/amazon
    and do things the right way by installing a full retrofit kit from places like The Retrofit Source.

my other concern is with the headlamp housing, if I'm not mistaken even with a full retrofit kit there is no modding done to the housing correct?
    what part does the housing play in the HID conversion process? do i need to worry about damage to the housing caused by overheating? how does it affect calibration of the HID lights?

thanks

I found it's more difficult to retrofit a halogen projector headlight than a halogen reflector one. Especially if you're trying to fit a OEM projector, otherwise FX-R or Mini H1 is much easier to go with. If the require temp and time needed to get the butyl soft to pull apart example preheat oven at 250degree and place it in for 10mins. I would check it at 7 or 8 minutes to see if it's soft enought to pull apart, then you can find out your real time for the second one.

Each car's headlight housing is different, so you'll have to modify to fit the new projector anyway. But depends on the size of the projector you're trying to fit, I would want to find projector similar size to the original halogen that goes out then it would require very little modification to bolt/epoxy it in place after final adjustments. The dept of the projector also an important to consider with when you plan to go with OEM projectors.
    Last edited by Sw07tC; January 3rd, 2014, 12:47 PM.

08 Honda Pilot | RX330-AFS + TSX-R, Curve Shield | Osram CBI | Hella Gen 3 | DIY Bosch Relay Harness | X5 LED Fog | SuperFlux DRL

** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post

Comment

If they use the same projector as before then the evox-r projector is a direct bolt.

I was able to cut the back of my housing open to get enough room to unbolt halogen projector and bolt in new projector. Then plastic weld to put the cap back on.

Comment

Output of evoxr 5five ballasts an 5000k xb35 bulbs

Comment

Originally posted by syphon00 View Post
          my other concern is with the headlamp housing, if I'm not mistaken even with a full retrofit kit there is no modding done to the housing correct?
          As long as the projector fits. The only potential modding is figuring out how the rear (where the HID bulb sticks out through) is covered from water splashes & dust.

what part does the housing play in the HID conversion process?
          Other than accommodating the new projector, I don't think there is any other role.

do i need to worry about damage to the housing caused by overheating?
          As long as the new projector is not a sealed projector that is designed to be exposed to the weather (like those add on foglights that mount on the lower bumper opening), as long as the projector lens doesn't rub the inside surface of the headlight lens, and as long as nothing sensitive touches the reflector bowl of the projector, there should be no overheating issues.

how does it affect calibration of the HID lights?
          If you mount it via an adapter plate/bracket to the original projector's mounting position, then the alignment of the HID can be done using the existing adjuster screws.
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Question for experts:

You think the internals of a Lincoln MKZ HID factory light could be taken out and fit into the Housing of a Fusion??

Maybe it would be more trouble than it's worth.

It looks to me like the top-to-bottom size is similar. Left - to - right, the Fusion is wider. Big assumption but I bet depth is similar.

The post above mine, about figuring out which halogen projector is already there, then going with a known good fit HID projector I'm sure is a better method of attack. I'm just thinking outside the box a little
            Attached Files
            First project: 2005 MINI Cooper S with Facelifted Halogen OEM Headlights, retrofitted with Morimoto Mini H1 6.0, Morimoto XB35 4300k bulbs, Morimoto 3Five DSP Ballast, TRS H7 Relay Harness + capacitor.

Future project: 2008 Subaru Impreza

Comment

thanks for the replies everyone looks like i got more homework to do

Comment

yeah maybe they will finally have HID available for 2015 fusion, since there is no redesign it may fit

Comment

Working...
                X