Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK6 GTI retro questions

Hi everyone,
    Looking to do a retro for my 2013 GTI. This will be my 2nd retro (first was MiniH1's and not on this car)... I want to do FX-R's on the GTI. I've done a bunch of searching on HID Planet as well as the Mk6 forums, but and am still trying to figure out a couple things.
    1. I have the OEM halogen headlights right now. The DRL's are part of the high beam bulb (H15 dual filament, 55w high beam 15w drl). I want to do halos (specifically morimoto xb led's) behind Apollo 2.0 shrouds and use those as DRL's instead of the halogen high beam DRL setup. What would I have to do wiring-wise to make this possible?

2. The headlights are permasealed from what I hear. From what I understand you can still bake them open, it'll just take a few sessions in the oven. Is this correct, or do they need to be cut open?

Thanks!!

Permaseals come in different varieties it seems. I'm not sure if your particular type can be forced with heat or need a high enough heat that will damage other parts (so cutting open is the best recourse). If you search for existing retrofits on the same model, it could be useful.

If the oem high / DRL is dual filament, then you can take the oem connector that goes there, find a compatible connector, and figure out which pair goes to the DRL.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
      Permaseals come in different varieties it seems. I'm not sure if your particular type can be forced with heat or need a high enough heat that will damage other parts (so cutting open is the best recourse). If you search for existing retrofits on the same model, it could be useful.

If the oem high / DRL is dual filament, then you can take the oem connector that goes there, find a compatible connector, and figure out which pair goes to the DRL.
      Thanks for the reply santrya, I appreciate it! I guess for the permaseal I'll do a bit more research and see if I can find if anyone has successfully opened the Mk6 headlights by baking them. If not, I guess I'll need to cut them. I'd just really rather not cut them open if I don't have to, since I've never done it before and the idea sounds a bit intimidating.

When you say find a compatible connector, where would I be able to find something like that? I apologize if that's a noob question... I'm still not that knowledgeable when it comes to retros. The MiniH1's I did on my other car were really easy and I didn't have to worry about wiring outside of tapping the high beam wire so I could use the projector as bixenon. So this is definitely going to be a more complicated project and learning experience for me...
      Thanks!

Comment

There's a 3-wire connector for the highbeam/drl. You can figure out which wire is which (clearly one would be ground) and tap into both for your DRL and bi-xenon highbeam. then cut the wire for the DRL so it's not used on the halogen bulb. I had some MK6 headlights I sold a few weeks ago, and there's not a lot of room to do this externally, but maybe once you get it open it will be easier.

As for permaseal, I opened some MK5 headlights with a heat gun, a flat head screw driver (and other assorted wedge shaped objects) and a lot of patience. It didn't come out as clean as I wanted it, so I ordered aftermarket headlights sealed with butyl. I don't know what there is for aftermarket MK6 headlights
        ** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post **

Comment

Just to add on what Fancyhat has provided;

Originally posted by ~clover View Post
          When you say find a compatible connector, where would I be able to find something like that?
          What I meant was the H15 bulb is connected to an oem connector that is most likely designated with a H15 name. You can buy a connector that mates with this oem connector, so you can wire the DRLs almost as clean as oem wiring.

In other words, where in the oem situation you have:
          ( OEM H15 bulb ) == ( OEM connector for H15 bulb )

instead, you replace it with:
          ( compatible H15 connector ) == ( OEM conector for H15 bulb )

Pictures would be better, but I don't have an example to share.

Comment

So this is what a H15 bulb looks like:

If I remember from the MK6 headlights, you pop the bulb in, and twist it into place. The three prongs go into their slots. The slots are fixed in the headlight, and may not be removable
            ** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post **

Comment

Thanks guys! I think I see what you're saying. If the H15 bulb prongs really do twist into place and the slots are in the headlight, I guess I can just figure out which go to the DRL and use spade connectors to tap into them? This is pretty much the only thing I was concerned about getting right. Only other thing I just thought of is I wonder if I'll get a bulb out warning by using LEDs for the DRL instead of the regular bulb?
              The plan is basically to buy some DEPO headlights off ebay that are the same as the stock halogens, and either use those temporarily while I retrofit the OEM ones, or maybe just retro the DEPO ones since they probably aren't permasealed.

Comment

Regarding bulb out warning, vendors (TRS included) sell resistors that make the circuit think the impedance is still the same. Either that or you buy the right resistor (both in terms of the resistance and the wattage rating).

Comment

I believe I saw a guy who have made a quad retrofit on some mk6 lights. He cut them open. As I remember he used a dual setup of MH1 and Gattling shrouds with a XB-LED behind them. Looked pretty badass: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showth...t=45319&page=6

Comment

Lmao, you actually have almost the same goals as me - I'm considering doing DRL's as rings behind some shrouds. However, I'm waiting for the Mini D2S 3.0 to come out, because honestly I think the square lens will look sick in these.

As far as wiring the DRL's go, my advice is to do as Satyra said. Personally, I'd probably get the OEM 3-pin connector (or whatever it is, I haven't looked) and split it into 2x 9006 plugs. There will be one ground, one wire for the 55w high, and one wire for the 15w DRL. Split the ground into a Y, and lead the ground to each 9006 connector and each wire to each connector.

Why a 9006? Because, if I recall correctly, that's what the high-beam solenoids will use, and it's also what the halo's use.

For a BOW, do the DRL's really have a BOW...? lol. I use VCDS to change mine to add it to the in-dash menu so I can toggle it there.

Btw, that Quad Retro looks sick...

If you find some good aftermarket halogen replicas, PLEASE let me know, I've only found like one set on ebay and they're like $120 for a single one.. kinda pricey for POS replicas IMO lol
                    2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Good stuff everyone, I think I've got enough info to get started now... thanks!!

wireless: the only halogen replicas I've found are the depo ones on ebay. they're $106 each (part numbers are 5K1941006L and 5K1941005L). Have you checked out the Q5 replica projectors? They're square too. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...tal-garabge-or

Comment

I have. The MD2S are supposed to be similar to the Q5 replicas, I actually think they'll be Q5r's but fine tuned etc... so we'll see.
                        2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Don't go for originals... Go for some aftermarket from either TYC or DEPO, that way you won't end up with permaseal headlights.

Comment

Working...
                          X