Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini H1 6.0, lowbeam cutoff is fine, highbeams a different story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini H1 6.0, lowbeam cutoff is fine, highbeams a different story.

I've had this issue with my minis for some time now and I've re-done my retro a few times to try and fix the problem with no avail. Looking for some insight here...I'm hoping I don't need to re-do these again from scratch. Here is the issue...I've adjusted the rotation/cutoff of the minis and they look great with the lowbeam activated (both sides are level and on par with each other) BUT as soon as I switch the highbeams on, my passenger side light points up to the sky (projector only), while the drivers side light is where it should be. My car is a 2010 Kia Forte Koup and my setup is such that I still have stock functionality of the highbeams (mini highbeams + stock highbeams). I know the drivers side Mini highbeam is aimed where it should be because it is level with the stock highbeam output on a wall at 25FT, but the passeneger side Mini hotspot is WAY above the stock highbeam hotspot for that side. It's been rattling my brain for sometime now because I can't figure out why the one side is so different from the other. I trimmed both of the stock reflector bowls the EXACT same while building the retro and the shrouds are trimmed the same too. Nothing comes in contact with the reflector bowl (I thought this may have been the issue, causing the passenger side to be "pushed" upwards slightly) but everything checks out.

Any insight from anyone on what could be causing this? Has anyone ran in to this same problem? Any help would be appreciated!

I can't post any pictures at the moment because I'm at work, so hopefully this post in somewhat understandable

Many thanks!
    2010 Kia Forte Koup SX. MH1 6.0 (upgraded) retro with Morimoto ballasts and DDM bulbs.

Can you push the back side of the H1 bulb down (carefully) while in high beam mode, and see whether the hotspot moves down?
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
      Can you push the back side of the H1 bulb down (carefully) while in high beam mode, and see whether the hotspot moves down?
      I should have mentioned I've tried fiddling with the bulb while I'm parked at a wall and it doesn't make any difference to the hotspot. It will slightly change the cutoff while the lowbeams are activated but it makes no difference to the highbeam. I'm using DDM bulbs (same bulbs I had in my 4.1's) so I don't know if that makes a difference? Are the morimoto bulbs shorter in length than the DDMs? I had to trim the base of the bulbs by a small amount so they would fit properly in the 3-prong bulb holder...however, once again the drivers and passenegers side are sitting the same in the bulb holders.
      2010 Kia Forte Koup SX. MH1 6.0 (upgraded) retro with Morimoto ballasts and DDM bulbs.

Comment

It's hard to tell with aftermarket bulbs. It is possible that the manufacturing dimensional tolerances are a bit off, making one or both of your bulbs a bit off.

How about swapping the H1 bulb from the other side?
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Hmmm, I'll try swapping the bulbs and see what happens. I'll repot back soon.

Comment

Im honestly a bit puzzled how that could be. If the low beams match up perfectly, I would think the high beams would also. Does one seem to be making much more light than the other, causing it to shine higher? or they both make the same amount of extra light, just put it in different places?

Lexus GS350 F Sport : Skipper Designs Front Lip : Rotiform BLQ Concave : Michelin PSS : Brembo GT 380mm : RSR Suspension : GS350/STi-R Bi-xenon
            * For any inquiries please e-mail TRSMatt@TheRetrofitSource.com, PM's = not a good way to reach me*

Comment

Originally posted by TRSMatt View Post
              Im honestly a bit puzzled how that could be. If the low beams match up perfectly, I would think the high beams would also. Does one seem to be making much more light than the other, causing it to shine higher? or they both make the same amount of extra light, just put it in different places?
              You feel my pain! haha, yeah it's very puzzling for me as well. I've done other retros using the same headlights for other Forte owners and never had this problem. Only seems to be happening with my set of headlights. Yes, the lowbeams match up perfectly but the highbeams are off. Same amount of light from each side...one is not brighter than the other.

Comment

Can you engage the shields without the lights on to see if they're moving properly? If they're aimed properly on low beam and suddenly a beam is crazy with the high beams, I assume it's reflecting off the shield and something's wrong in there.

Comment

Yep, I can confirm the shields are functioning properly. Nothing wrong there...

Comment

Working...
                  X