Painting Aesthetics Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Aesthetics Help

Hey, I'm looking for help in the painting design of my specific project.
    I drive a Bright Silver Kia Forte Koup, here is a picture of the headlight (from google):
    2010-kia-forte-koup-2-door-coupe-auto-sx-headlight_100311977_l.jpg

Here is a picture minus the lens:
    IMAG0088.jpg

There's another picture on google of the headlight all apart, but I can't copy it. Search 'Forte Koup Headlight' in google images for it.

I've been debating several combinations and have gotten many cans of spray paint. I'm mostly looking for a sort of a 'dark monochrome' and would like to incorporate more gray colors. I want the swoopy-bezel thing in the front to appear like it's made of metal, or at least make it look darker than as it is. Reflector bowls are to be satin black. Amber reflectors will be smoked.

Paints I have Collected:
    (Rust-oleum): Satin Black,Chrome, Hammered Black, High Heat Gloss Black, Regular Gloss Black, Gloss Dark Gray, and Metallic Aluminum
    (Dupli-color): Clear-coat, Universal Black Metallic, Gunmetal Metallic

Black and grey look killer together. This was one of my favorite retro's I've done.

05 300C - 15 Taurus SHO

Comment

Whats grey and whats black in that? I can see the shroud is gray. It looks like a black-out otherwise. Nice cobalt retro though, what color was the car?

Comment

It was red
        2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Anything other than a full blackout though? I wanted some contrast to help the headlights pop-out at a distance.

Comment

I know I always say this but all chrome always looks best IMO.

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Comment

Originally posted by greenkouki View Post
              I know I always say this but all chrome always looks best IMO.
              Yea I also think chrome looks best. I think the Gatling 2.0 Shrouds would look good in there.

Comment

I know if you can get it mixed right, you can get a black chrome, but it's very heavily based on steadiness with a rattle can.

2000 Honda Accord SE -​Ruby Red Pearl
                Morimoto MH1 5.0 5k 35W
                Garnet-MR Thread

Comment

If you want the perfect contrast, when you take apart the head lights, remove the outer chrome trim bezel from the lens and paint that black, leaving only the reflectors chrome. Like I did.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                    If you want the perfect contrast, when you take apart the head lights, remove the outer chrome trim bezel from the lens and paint that black, leaving only the reflectors chrome. Like I did.
                    You got a photo of this setup? If you kept the reflectors chrome, what did you do with the shrouds?

Comment

Heres mine, If you're curious

537350_550265414984179_61872809_n.jpg

397590_550490544961666_1663734357_n.jpg

16430_572275039449883_577214643_n.jpg

2000 Honda Accord SE -​Ruby Red Pearl
                      Morimoto MH1 5.0 5k 35W
                      Garnet-MR Thread

Comment

Great painting, I like the turn signal lights black like that & the chrome highs.

Comment

You can also experiment with a fine grit sandpaper, and wet sand the "swooping" piece along one direction to give it a brushed metal look. I did this to a chrome grille one time (made of plastic with chrome paint/coating). If it doesn't work out, then you can put any spray paint.
                          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Check this out http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/album.php?albumid=179

Comment

Another color to consider. DupliColor smoke chrome; the one on the rightmost:

DupliColor smoke chrome on aluminum sheet metal, topped with the retroreflective paint (Krylon reflect-a-lite on the picture above). The retroreflective paint deposits tiny clear spheres that bounce light back, but the spheres look like tiny dust in the picture below when no significant light is bounced back to the camera.
                              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Working...
                              X