2012 Chevy Cruze retrofit-help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Chevy Cruze retrofit-help

i am planning to retrofit the headlights on my 2012 cruze RS. I was set on the morimoto mini H1 http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227 until i read the FX-R projectors were better then these but require more cutting. but how much more modification do they require?
    I heard the new GM headlights use permaseal and are a pain to get open. So i was going to purchase aftermarket lights to be easier to open (and drive the car) http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-CHEVY-...d4ff5a&vxp=mtr

Next question is one i am stuck on. I would like to keep the headlight to look stock as much as possible WITH a white/blue halo ring in the center(any way to wire it so the halo is on for DRL and the HID bulb is off until night?). Which shroud would work well for the cruze application? the mini gatling gun is "small" and i am not sure the others will fit in this housing. Any forum member already retrofit this car?

Also I was either going to do the halo, or the "demon eye" when the projector glows just a faint red. I read this is caused by painting a plate inside the projector? Which plate is this and how bright/faint will the red be?
    I will be buying from "The retrofit Source"

Anybody care to help me out? I been researching this topic and am confused about these things.

I plan to make my purchase ASAP
    Last edited by dieselard; November 15th, 2012, 04:00 PM.

There are many threads about painting the inside shield to show a red color.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...ient=firefox-a

Definitely buy those head lights and use those instead, great plan

The FX-R are better, but they don't just bolt in. You might not have to do cutting so much as custom mounting.

The shroud, well it doesn't matter what fits, usually you will cut them to fit. IMO, the more cutting the better usually, since a bigger shroud can fill up more of the reflector to make it look OEM, depending on the head light. In your case, probably something with an oval shape would look best.

Comment

Back to the FX-R projectors. Do the cost, output and modification worth it over the mini H1 in your opinion?

Comment

You're talking to someone with $650 projectors in his head lights Yes they are worth the extra, what, $20? Definitely worth it. The ONLY advantage of the Morimoto H1 projector is how it bolts in.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
          You're talking to someone with $650 projectors in his head lights Yes they are worth the extra, what, $20? Definitely worth it. The ONLY advantage of the Morimoto H1 projector is how it bolts in.
          Yup! I originally went with MH1 v 4.1's because I thought they were the only ones that would fit and because of their ease of mounting. I'm now wrapping up an FX-R retro and they outperform the Mini's in just about every aspect except ease of mounting.

Originally posted by cthunder
          The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
          Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
            Yup! I originally went with MH1 v 4.1's because I thought they were the only ones that would fit and because of their ease of mounting. I'm now wrapping up an FX-R retro and they outperform the Mini's in just about every aspect except ease of mounting.
            How much harder were they to mount? Also I have 55W balasts from restro-solutions would I be able to purchase bulbs for the FX-R's and use them with my old ballasts? How do the solenoids work with the highbeam?

Ive been researching the MH1 vs FX-R for awhile and found mixed opinions by which one is better.

Comment

You can use your retro-solutions ballasts with other bulbs (H1 if you go Morimoto, D2S+adapter if you go FX-R).

The solenoids wire to your high beam.

And I'm not sure why you are conflicted as to which is better, we are telling you

Comment

That is a good way to put it. I only have one wire going into my headlight as i only have one halogen bulb in my headlight, It is a H13 bulb which is low beam and highbeam in one bulb. This is the part that confuses me.

The reason I am conflicted is HOW the FX-R's mount, not their quality, price ir performance. Thats the only reason here. TBH the FX-R will save me money as I dont have to buy ballasts AND 35W bulbs for the MH1 projectors.

Comment

The FX-R's have 4 holes to mount them via nuts and bolts. You can also epoxy them in place. For me the FX-R's were harder because I have to mount them directly to the housing because they are larger than my reflector bowl.

Comment

Since my entire bumper has to be taken off my car. how do you aim the FX-R projectors? do you have to physically turn them if you glued them wrong (twist)
                    I know for up/down-left/right you use the factory adjusters

Comment

Originally posted by dieselard View Post
                      Since my entire bumper has to be taken off my car. how do you aim the FX-R projectors? do you have to physically turn them if you glued them wrong (twist)
                      I know for up/down-left/right you use the factory adjusters
                      If you want to epoxy them in then you have to be 100% certain that the rotation is right when the epoxy sets. Hence why it's better to use nuts and bolts to adjust everything and then once it is set epoxy it to prevent it from ever loosening and shifting.

Comment

Alright. I am not 100% sure on which to decide on yet. PLEASE bare with me

Will a first time retrofitter (that has absolutely no experience) be able to retrofit the FX-R projectors into the lights? Is this as big of a task am I thinking or less difficult. It seems to be its is extremely time consuming and difficult to align. If it is this hard I think the miniH1 would be the option as I wouldnt butcher the headlights.
                        I am not the best person at modifying things. lol

Comment

The MH1 is definitely the easier of the two. But the FX-R is superior to the MH1 in every other way. If you can fit the FX-R go with it. It's more time consuming than anything else.

Comment

I retrofited Chevy Cruze headlights with morimoto Mini D2S...
                            Let me warn you about the AFTERMARKET headlights... yes they are much muuuuch easier to take apart because they arent sealed with "permaseal", but the quality of the plastic is pure SH#$! You have to be careful when handling this aftermarket lights, the plastic is very fragile. I wasnt careful and one the clips broke in half. After i finished the retrofit and was putting the headlight onto the car, as i was tightening the bolts the plastic on one of the clips that was still not broken BROKE! So be careful, you cant tighten the bolts to the maximum on this aftermarket lights.
                            The aftermarrket light is only the left lamp on my car, as the right lamp is the original Chevy Cruze light. With the original it was a pain in the A# to open them apart! I was baking it and baking it prying them apart 2x 3 hours... and the only way i could open them at the end was by cuting throught the black plastic when it was hot, that way i could get under the clear plastic and scrap out the permaseal. To glue and seal the lights i used some strong ass silicone like - but not silocone type of glue, i used it alot and it seals and holds together great!
                            When instaling the original lamp onto the car i had no problem at all when bolting, no plastic clips broke i was able to bolt to the maximum and it holds perfect.

Consider my post when decideing on which headlights to use.

Comment

Old thread bump...OP did you ever finish this? I'm thinking about using the RX projectors
                              2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec-- built motor PTE6266 gen 2 haltech
                              2007 Saab 9-3 Aero 6spd-- DD

Comment

Working...
                              X