• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hella F10 D1S projector light output

I am fairly new to this retrofit so if I am doing wrong please let me know

This is my first retrofit and I purchased a set of Hella F10 D1S from TRS

20120928_204405.jpg

from close up it look like this, at first before i seal the front lens together I thought it was because the shrouds wasn't covered now i realized it's cause of the projector.

and this is output pic, that's pretty much how it looks like at night really I love the cutoff line but the output spread does not look right,

Passenger

driver

and this is how the projector look like found them on net Credit to OC

so far I tried to re-adjust bulbs but doesn't seem like i am doing it wrong mine came out exact like on the factory pic,
    and it should take D1S and D3S, not sure what I did wrong here

once again this is my first post please let me know what if I did wrong, and what can I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Does the reflector bowl surface have any blemishes? The hotspot seem centered around the cutoff notch, so the blotchy spread on the road is probably not because the D1S capsule is oriented wrong.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
      Does the reflector bowl surface have any blemishes? The hotspot seem centered around the cutoff notch, so the blotchy spread on the road is probably not because the D1S capsule is oriented wrong.
      No , I double make sure I didn't drop anything cost blemishes, unless on the factory first picture that's what your talking about blemishes?

and i did the test to move around the bulbs the hotspot seems to be on the center, and as i moved around the bulb blotchy spread just go along with the hotspot,
      and I can almost 100% sure they came from the projector since I tested them without my reflector and they still appear.

and just a question on the side, is it normal that it's raining over here, and I can kinda only see the cut off hotspot?
      not sure rather is raining or am i losing light output.

Comment

It could be a number of reasons.

1) Bowl blemishes as mentioned.

2) A wrongly seated bulb.

3) It could be that that kind of projector just isn't that good.

Have you tried messing with the shield any?

RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

are this f10 replica with clear lense?

Comment

They seem like replica from TRS, and yes with STI-R lens

I have not messed with the projector at all, I left it as-is from TRS,
            I am started to think this might be the projector just as good as this, but still don't understand the blotchy spread on top,
            but they are a lot brighter than my stock.

Comment

Based on this thread so far; blemish on reflector bowl and capsule not seated right can be ruled out (per OP's response). As far as Sean's 3rd item, "this type of projector not being that good", I find it surprising that an oem projector could have such a blotchy output. Then again, the oem lens (which is most likely not clear like the STi-R) might be doing some of the smoothing.

The first picture, much closer to the wall, is rather curious. I wonder if the focal length of the STi-R is different enough from the oem's. Either that or the mounting distance being different, could alter the light output dramatically. I remember testing oem lenses from very good oem projectors onto my Mini D2S, and found that their farther focal length really affected the beam distribution.

It would help if you had output pictures before the clear lens was installed (i.e. using oem cloudy lens).
              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

if you look at the picture you posted that shows the back of the projector with the bulb installed, the D1S is not seating all of the way indicating that the notch in the bulb base is not in the correct spot, were these projectors designed to use D3S? if so you may have to re-notch your D1S bulbs to fit properly

i hope these pics will help some, the top square notch is in the same spot in all DxS bulbs, but the half circle notch is in a different spot

D1S:

D3S:

Last edited by superjoe83; September 30th, 2012, 12:49 PM.
                '99 Toyota Tacoma, TL\ZKW, DL50's, yourhid 50w ballasts, S2K fogs with 85122 35w
                '08 Can-am Renegade, 9005 Hid kit 4300k
                '76 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup, Hella E-codes, Catz Zeta boosted H4 GE Nighthawks

Comment

@Satrya - Yeah, but when I purchased this from TRS it was a preset, projector came with STi-R lens so I assumed it shouldn't have problem.

@superjoes83 - I have tested moving around the bulbs just to see if that will change output, but after all it just move around the hotspot point, on the center seems to have the best light output so far.

I guess Ill have to speak to Matt on TRS on Monday, since his out of town.

and just side question what other D1S projector would y'all recommend? I purchased a PIAA D1S bulbs and they worth 500+ around I don't want to put that to waste.. lol

Comment

Working...
                  X