"dummy" projector lense for highs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "dummy" projector lense for highs

I have an extra pair of projectors from BMW's halogens highs.

Would it make any sense (as far as getting more usefull light output) to install just a lense infront of my current halogen high bulb? Not entire projector as I don't think I'll have enougth space for it but just the lense itself.

And in case I wil have space to install entire projector - are halogen "high" projectors usually better then regular halogen "high" reflector bowls?

If you put a lens over the halogen reflector it will totally ruin the output.
    Best to use a dedicated high beam projector, or some other projector that has a good output with the shield removed.

Comment

Find a high beam projector that'll use halogens if you're gonna do something like that

Hers-Sloped TL's, ZKW-R lenses, 85122+, E55-R, fiberglass buckets, Blazer fogs with 3K
      Mine- Morimoto Mini H1's, e55 shrouds, Blazer fogs with 3000K
      Zuma 125 Mini H1, Gatling Gun 2.0, 90mm & 60mm Amber XBLED halos
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroFix

Comment

The lens of a projector setup serves to focus light. If you could accept the narrowing/focusing of the beam dispersion of the reflector you're currently using, then you can consider it. If the reflector's dispersion is already narrow, then it probably won't make sense.

Suppose you're ok with a slight narrowing/focusing of the high beam, then one way to minimize the narrowing is to place the high beam bulb closer to the projector lens than its focal point. Since the lens is made of glass, it's probably ok to even get the bulb to almost touch the lens. Depending on the bulb type, the filament may not be able to get close enough to the lens though.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

You can modify MH1's to take a halogen H1 bulb, and remove the cutoff shield and solenoid for an awesome high beam.
          2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by wireless View Post
            You can modify MH1's to take a halogen H1 bulb, and remove the cutoff shield and solenoid for an awesome high beam.
            ^ This.

I remember reading about them having issues with prolonged halogen use but if you're just using them for high beams then you'll be fine.

Originally posted by cthunder
            The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
            Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

I wouldn't call the MH1 awesome when fitted with a halogen.
              I've done this and it is far from being awesome.
              The focal point of the H1 bulb is not right for the projector so there is very little of a distinguishable 'hot spot' which is necessary for a good high beam.
              I had to grind down the back of the projector to shift the bulb forward in to the correct focus. Now it's better, but still not fantastic.
              There is too much spread for a high beam IMO.

If I do this again, I would use a MiniD2S as the hotspot is more concentrated and should work better as a high beam.
              Being D2s, mean you can mod it for H7, which also means you can mod it for a H9 bulb. 2100 lumens!

Comment

I put a pair of projector lens, lens holder and mini gatling gun shroud in my high beams. I did it cuz I hated the look of just the MH1 in the lows. I don't use them or even have bulbs in them since I don't use the high beams. Out of curiosity I put some bulbs in there and the output was quite horrible.

Comment

Working...
                X