2004 Mazda 3 Sedan Retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Mazda 3 Sedan Retrofit

Hi guys I've been reading up on HIDs, retrofits, etc for the past couple of days and just had some questions about what I plan to get done to my headlights in time. I was told that for my car the Mini H1s would be the best fit. Im assuming because the housings are considered small when it comes to retrofitting. Is this true? Also I wanted to replace the stock high beam reflectors with Mini H1s for aesthetic purposes however I've read that running quad low beams actually makes your vision worse due to all the extra light so I wanted to know if I could only run 2 at a time? For example, when I turn on my low beams the outer projectors turn on like the stock projectors do now correct? And then when I push the lever back to turn on the high beams, the outer projectors would turn off, the inner projectors would turn on while simultaneosly moving the solenoid into the high beam position correct? In addition to all of this I wanted to get some Umnitza angel eyes installed as well as DRLs. Im assuming having the DRLs running in addition to the low beams would be too much light correct? So would I be able to get them wired up so that when the low beams come on the DRLs turn off? Sorry if im asking a lot but I just want to have everything planned out so when I get the money I can start getting things installed.

Some did TL bi-xenon retrofit with some trimming, I put TSX with just minor fabrication, it may be rather smaller housing so projector choice won't be too wide I guess but there is some OEM choices as well.

Do you have H7 lamp? Projector front half and cut-off shield is casted onto inner structure. So you need to cut these out to retrofit.

In my opinion, DRL should be either turned OFF or at least dimmed when parking lights/headlights ON. I don't know how bright those DRL unit you are considering, but in general, many OEM standard DRL is much brighter than parking(marker)lamp for night time use.

You can wire DRL however you want, power them with IGN+V(maybe with some delay or initial parking brake release trigger) and trigger relay to switch pole to float(or to dimmer if you decide/can dim DRL) with parking light/lowbeam.

Comment

Originally posted by Faites777
      Quad of dual MH1 is redundant as MH isn't a TRUE highBeam-downRoad projector. Highbeam with lowbeam cutoff is doable if the car isn't OEM with this function already; just needs an extra switching relay wiring.

DRL with lowbeam is fine to be used at night. DRL angle-eyes/halos ONLY at night is retard! lol
      You got all the correct ideas of using light but more on the eye-candy side retrofitting. A well drawn out wiring schematic will help to visually all the wiring connections to satisfy the desirable functions. Enjoy retrofitting!
      Ok so you mentioned that trying to use the bi xenon feature of the H1 isnt good, is this because it doesnt have a good high beam pattern? Ive seen the the pictures of it comparing it to other projectors. If this is the case, are you recommending that I just leave the stock halogen reflector high beams in place and have those come on and the H1 low beams turn off when i get ready to use my high beams or use the halogen reflector high beams IN ADDITION to the low beams with the solenoid not blocking the light to get that extra illumination?
      Last edited by Network24; July 11th, 2012, 08:20 AM.

Comment

If you leave original halogen high beam wiring as it is, Mazda3 is wired to keep low beam stays ON when you turn high beam ON.

I don't suggest turn lowbeam OFF when you use high beam in my opinion. Beside you prefer to avoid HID system flick OFF on high beam passing, you need extra relay to turn lowbeam OFF with high beam ON.

High beam reflector design has very well focused strong distance beam. Using original high reflector maybe against your aesthetic purposes though, but in terms of performance, they are good.

Comment

Hmmmm ok I guess that makes sense. However for someone who will hardly be using high beams are the Mini H1 high beams acceptable? Also are there any other relatively small bi xenon projectors that do have a good high beam (one that would outperform the stock halogen reflector high beam) that would fit well into my stock housing and still allow to get the aesthetic look I'm going for?
          Last edited by Network24; July 11th, 2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

The Mini H1 high beam I would say is acceptable but there is definitely better ones out there.

The amount of foreground lighting you get with the Mini H1 is just too much, with 4 of them it will further reduce your distance vision.

You might want to add some foreground limiters to the Mini H1s if you plan to use them.
            * Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post.

Comment

Well I wasnt planning on using 4 of them anymore after what I read about having too much light in front of the car. What bi xenon projectors have a good high beam equal to or better than my current high beam halogen reflectors? I heard good things about the FX-R projectors and their high beams and they also seem to be small compared to other bi xenons excluding the H1s etc which would make for an easier installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelin Man View Post
                The Mini H1 high beam I would say is acceptable but there is definitely better ones out there.

The amount of foreground lighting you get with the Mini H1 is just too much, with 4 of them it will further reduce your distance vision.

You might want to add some foreground limiters to the Mini H1s if you plan to use them.
                Just FYI - The new MH1's have actual foreground limiters on them

For the price, the MiniH1's are good. I'm not sure what fits into a 3 housing, however, the MiniH1 is very good projector for the price and a first time retro.
                The high beam isn't the best, but at the same time, it's 200x better than the Halogen projector.
                2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Yea thats what ive been hearing that Mini H1s are great as low beams so im pretty much sold on them. Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to use them as high beams as well since I rarely use my high beams so performance isnt that big of factor for me OR spend a little extra on another set of projectors that have a good high beam just for the heck of having them. Thats why I was asking if there are any other relatively small projectors that perform better than the FX-Rs as high beams for the price.

Comment

Kinda in the same situation and will post my own thread later. Retrofitting for quad bi-xenon's on a 2011 Fiesta. Been trying to find pic's of a beam pattern of HID quad low beams, but not much luck. Mainly I wanted to have the hi-beams as mini H1 just for looks and was considering only buying the projector housing and converting them into a high-beam halogen housing using this how-to guide in order to save $$ since I wouldn't have to get another set of ballast or a higher cost bulb.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ogen-High-Beam

Then I decided to just bite the bullet and "do it right". Now it sounds like doing it right is not to have quad bi-xenon's lol.

Comment

Lol well from all the quad threads ive seen, running ALL quads at once is just a waste of money because its worse for your eyes but running one pair at a time is fine and it allows you to still keep the "look" of quads. However Ive heard the wiring is way more difficult. As of right now im leaning towards getting Mini H1s for my low beams and FX-Rs as highs (unless someone recommends a better projector for high beams) with the Mini H1 lows still ON just for that extra lighting. However since I will never really use high beams, the quad Mini H1s are still a good option for me because of the price. I just have to make a decision.
                      Last edited by Network24; July 11th, 2012, 11:32 PM.

Comment

gold94corolla, if i recall correctly, did a Quad FX-R retro on his Corolla. According to him it took hours upon hours to get the cutoffs all aligned properly.

As far as for the price... I hate to say it, but there's not much beating the Mini H1 for it's size / price. Much easier to retro than an FX-R, and to be honest I really liked the high beam on mine.
                        2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Well I wasnt trying to a quad FX-R I cant imagine that fitting in my housing but I wanted to do 2 Mini H1s and 2 FX-Rs and only the H1s would be on for lows. As far as im concerned cutoffs arent that important when it comes to high beams. But anyway I found some quad Mini H1 output pics here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2288349 look at the 19th post. I also found a youtube video showing the output http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fp40pOpK8Y
                          Last edited by Network24; July 11th, 2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Network24 View Post
                            Lol well from all the quad threads ive seen, running ALL quads at once is just a waste of money because its worse for your eyes but running one pair at a time is fine and it allows you to still keep the "look" of quads. However Ive heard the wiring is way more difficult. As of right now im leaning towards getting Mini H1s for my low beams and FX-Rs as highs (unless someone recommends a better projector for high beams) with the Mini H1 lows still ON just for that extra lighting. However since I will never really use high beams, the quad Mini H1s are still a good option for me because of the price. I just have to make a decision.
                            I retrofitted FX-R's on to my BMW. I haven't completed my Fiesta's retrofit yet, but can honestly say the ease of doing Mini H1's compared to FX-R's is HUGE . I am not saying you need to be a rocket scientist to do FX-R's, but I am saying a cavemen can easily do Mini H1's. My BMW retrofit was a pain and that housing has projectors on it, sure if I was doing FX-R's on to a reflective bowl, it'd be even worse.

Another option I found was a Bi-halogen projector (they also have a straight up high-beam projector) http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-00999802...sim_sbs_auto_5
                            . Problem for me is that it's 90mm (@3.5"), which I think will not work for using a mini gatling shroud on.
                            My main reason to go quad is to match up the lowbeam/highbeam shrouds to each other and not just have a gatling gun shroud on hte bi-xenon and the stock reflective bowl for highbeams. Also am going to run angel eyes....so kinda need a shroud on the high beams to attach the angel eyes to. I almost never use high beams so how well it works is not that big of an issue.
                            Last edited by Casca; July 12th, 2012, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Well I plan on getting a professional to do all the work so the "ease of install" really doesnt mean much to me unless there is a huge price difference or something like that. I also plan to install some Umnitza Orion V2 angel eyes but they told they had a product that would fit the mini gatlings which is good for me. But i feel the same way about the high beams, its not that serious because i hardly use them.

Comment

Working...
                              X